Post-Game Discussion Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Bulldogs
31 4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

The attack was very poor, the defensive efforts and all round work by the forwards had a more unified tough approach about it though.

There were gaps to be exposed and some switching off moments up the middle especially but totally understandable and expected in such hot conditions.

The Dogs didn't offer much to genuinely rate our defensive efforts and structure but i did like the starch and unity behind our display, to win so easily and play in a manner that requires a lot of improvement is a good start.

That game was a punish to watch, the attacking structures on display from both clubs was a yawn.
Agreed on the attack as it shows in the way our tries were scored but , I am not going to be critical of the boys as it is only round one and the doggies did not offer much either .It is a great problem to have when winning but not at your best levels .It is always good to start off from the bottom and build it up towards the year end .Hopefully no injuries from that game and the boys should bury the Eels next week .Maaaaaanly .

I tell it how i see it.

I alway get this kind of reply Dan not fussed about it, i complimented the forward efforts, i mentioned the first game nerves and the heat sapping conditions i think my views are balanced and fair.

My gripe is about how poor the attack was in terms of structure and lines used, the positive is we won easily against a very poor team based off the forwards efforts and a poor attacking display, in many ways you can't complain about that.

Dan just because i call things out that i don't like in a display doesn't mean i don't have a smile on my face "sometimes" appreciating a win for what it is, but yesterdays game was a yawnfest.

I stated in the off season the biggest challenge for Seibold is creating an attack that will reward the defensive efforts by our forwards, until i see quality attacking structure that holds up under pressure this year will be a waste regardless if we make the top 8.

I don't call things in hindsight so i am used to the "i'm such a punish" replies it's all good.

Remember i called out our attack during our "better" years when i could see poor attacking structure and lines, that is why Manly struggled for points against the quality Dragons defensive efforts over a decade ago and also struggled against the Roosters back in 2013.

I called out DCE from the outset unlike others about his attacking deficiencies when everyone else was on the hype train stating DCE was better than Cronk, now half the posts are relating to my views over a decade ago.

I called out our soft forward pack in 2014 when Manly was second in the comp and look how that year panned out.The typical view here is "stats don't lie Manly are 2nd in the comp the forwards must not be that bad".
I remember commenting on Menzies being interviewed at the time overly complimenting the forwards in a game i think against the Roosters back in that year. I stated that Steve sounded like he was more trying to instil confidence in the pack to perform better than they really were capable of.(i was lambasted for that view also)

I've called out our poor go forward and it's over reliance on our lateral spreads through the backs and back row to generate forward momentum even during our good periods.

I called out the poor lines of our attacking structure and the B.Stewart sweep play will become ineffective if it continues in this way even when it still looked effective to most.

I stated Foran was a quality 5/8 from the outset when way too many here were questioning his ballplaying and thinking he should be a centre when he first came into grade.

I called out G.Stewart for not contributing enough in the go forwards elements of the game and lacking sharpness for a back rower, but at the same time complimented his ball playing skills and his quality one on one tough defence, a real leader of the pack. B.Stewart was never really a ballplayer but G.Stewart was of a very high quality yet people still think i am one sided negative.

Yesterdays game was not worth the price of admission.

I take some of your points Tech. They do need better co-ordination if they are to defeat the big boys. But I maintain that DCE is a quality half, but not a great ball player. That's why he needs a quality 5/8 ball player at 5/8 in the Munster style. When he has that, he functions far more effectively. I agree that Foran was a fine 5/8, but I dont think he was a great ball player. Tough, took the ball to the line effectively, consistent in his play but Manly were great around 2011 because they had a top ball player in Jamie Lyon who followed on the great work of Cliff Lyons a decade earlier. If Foran had been so effective, and fortunately he avoided injury during his latest stay, Manly should have been up there. He performed well on the two occasions DCE was absent, but two factors to remember both games were against cellar dwellers and he had a true ball player in Schuster outside him, even though Schuster was hardly inspiring in 2022. I'm hoping Schuster creates the attacking structure you allude to. He's got that ball playing skill needed to create the gaps. Have to wait and see if he blossoms

I really expected the fox to make life hell for tippytoes today along with plenty of high stuff from Burton but neither eventuated, imo tippytoes is our Achilles heel, he seems completely lost in defence at times but the dogs didn't seem to test him out much today
Accept all that Ron, but he's a big body and plays like a forward when bringing the ball out, thus giving our forwards a breather. He was a stand out in the first half of last season, then lost his way after the Rainbow round as did many others. The win will do is confidence the world of good, and expect him to really kick on from here.

As much as Aloiai 's off field antics drive me a little mad, I have to say he is still a step ahead of all our props (barring obviously Jake, and maybe Paseka). He and Taniela owned the middle, and as much as I appreciated Bullemor's hit ups, he and Keppie struggled to maintain control up front. In fact, if it wasn't for Jake, we could have copped a lot more damage through the middle. Again, when Aloiai and Paseka come back on, we return to winning over the ruck. Keppie needs to improve ball security, and more importantly, Bullemor needs to improve his front on defence.

Tuipulotu has a fair bit to work on when defending kicks, Koula is a phenomenal talent, technically astute, but needs to go looking for opportunities.

I have to say that I am one of the first to bag DCE, but he displayed a composed and high quality performance.

All hail Jake and Ola

As much as Aloiai 's off field antics drive me a little mad, I have to say he is still a step ahead of all our props (barring obviously Jake, and maybe Paseka). He and Taniela owned the middle, and as much as I appreciated Bullemor's hit ups, he and Keppie struggled to maintain control up front. In fact, if it wasn't for Jake, we could have copped a lot more damage through the middle. Again, when Aloiai and Paseka come back on, we return to winning over the ruck. Keppie needs to improve ball security, and more importantly, Bullemor needs to improve his front on defence.

Tuipulotu has a fair bit to work on when defending kicks, Koula is a phenomenal talent, technically astute, but needs to go looking for opportunities.

I have to say that I am one of the first to bag DCE, but he displayed a composed and high quality performance.

All hail Jake and Ola
Thought we really went up tempo when Aloiai came on Pete, Paseka's 2nd stint gave us that power surge in the middle resulting in a try down main street. A lot of criticism of Tui is a bit unwarranted tbh, most times he's left like a shag on a rock marking 2 sometimes 3 players when defending the line. Anyway, really good first up signs and lots to build on for the upcoming Parra game.

I think its very sad that kids aren't allowed on the ground after the players have gone into the sheds. That time honoured ritual of Neil Diamond singing Sweet Caroline, then hundreds of youngsters having a ball is gone. That sort of thing must surely encourage youngsters to play for us in later years. A security guard told me the NRL put a stop to it. I was under the impression that the ground was owned by the council. such a short sited stop.

Tippy toes will be the odd man out when Saab comes back. Lacks pace and is a liability in the air. His hit ups are overrated and I think Garrick is now ahead in this dept.

Thought we really went up tempo when Aloiai came on Pete, Paseka's 2nd stint gave us that power surge in the middle resulting in a try down main street. A lot of criticism of Tui is a bit unwarranted tbh, most times he's left like a shag on a rock marking 2 sometimes 3 players when defending the line. Anyway, really good first up signs and lots to build on for the upcoming Parra game.
Agreed. Re Tui, not overly concerned with his defence in general, but is certainly a liability defending against kicks, whether it be diffusing bombs or turning and chasing (Jorge had similar issues). I'm sure the top halves will be kicking to him all year

Agreed. Re Tui, not overly concerned with his defence in general, but is certainly a liability defending against kicks, whether it be diffusing bombs or turning and chasing (Jorge had similar issues). I'm sure the top halves will be kicking to him all year
Shame really, he's got height, just needs to time his jumps better.

Tippy toes will be the odd man out when Saab comes back. Lacks pace and is a liability in the air. His hit ups are overrated and I think Garrick is now ahead in this dept.

Personally I don't know why Weekes is not used on that wing. He's fast, evasive, good defense and having played much of his junior football at full back, he knows how to catch and return the ball effectively. Seems also an excellent finisher.

Personally I don't know why Weekes is not used on that wing. He's fast, evasive, good defense and having played much of his junior football at full back, he knows how to catch and return the ball effectively. Seems also an excellent finisher.
I'm tipping it's because he is not big and strong enough to take hit-ups, nor tall enough to take 'speckies' in the air, as the modern-day winger is expected to do.

I'm tipping it's because he is not big and strong enough to take hit-ups, nor tall enough to take 'speckies' in the air, as the modern-day winger is expected to do.
Weekes is 182 cm & 90 kg. Here are some NRL wingers with similar height & weight

Taylan May 183 cm, 92 kg
Dane Gagai 182 cm, 92 kg (mainly centre these days)
Cody Ramsey 185 cm, 82 kg

I'm sure he can handle wing & may be selected there at some time. Koula is a similar build to Weekes & when he filled in as winger last year, he went well.

Tuipulotu's aerial work in attack & defence last year was good - he needs to regain form. However, he is ponderous when retrieving kicks placed behind him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4