Post-Game Discussion Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Bulldogs
31 4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

What a win, the best in about 6/7 years!

- forward pack
dominated

- defence was punishing

- DCE didn’t have to or try to do everything

- new coaching staff have done a great job, we look fitter than we ever have

- Jake at prop is a massive difference

- the team are together and are as one, so much happiness from all players today

- Tom is fine, just said he was camping up in post game

And headless chook mode not seen today, what a great start to the season
I wasn't all that impressed by DCE today or the attack in general, it was very poor to watch and a yawn.

In fairness hot exhausting conditions and first game nerves played its part but the only impressive element out of the game was the unity and starch in the defence that kept at it all game(shows good attitude and fitness levels) even in the heat, but it really wasn't tested by a very weak predictable opposition.

Manly look good when playing short, flat, direct first man plays and using the second man depth plays as the option play. Playing more off the front foot and rolling forward is when we look good, i thought Croker(attacking wise) was disappointing also which didn't help with the sharpness out of the ruck. You can get away with steady play from the ruck when you have the likes of Foran and Walker offering attacking penetration and variety but today his limitations got showed up and made it more difficult for the lack of penetration style attack Cooper and DCE offer.

Having both Cooper and DCE who don't take the line on often will be showed up against quality opposition and the points wont flow unless we win the battle in the middle with the points coming off the back of winning the grind.

Was a boring game to watch and a struggle to stay interested throughout but i do love the effort on display which is good to see.

Last edited:
What a win, the best in about 6/7 years!

- forward pack
dominated

- defence was punishing

- DCE didn’t have to or try to do everything

- new coaching staff have done a great job, we look fitter than we ever have

- Jake at prop is a massive difference

- the team are together and are as one, so much happiness from all players today

- Tom is fine, just said he was camping up in post game
Jake was huge in prop

Some observations (apologies if already mentioned)

1. The eternal question: were the opposition average or did Manly make them play average?
2. As per other great Silvertails minds: DCE thrives behind a dominant pack
3. DCE plays better when he has confidence in the players around him, plays more composed and relaxed.
4. A good win on a sunny afternoon in front of a fantastic crowd was exactly the start Manly needed to strengthen the group from coaching staff down and set the club to forward looking mode.

Last edited:
We were always going to dominate in the forwards imo, the dogs were missing their two best props and Pangai Jr, their pack was garbage on paper.

Good win but anything less would have been underachieving considering the opposition.

I wasn't all that impressed by DCE today or the attack in general, it was very poor to watch and a yawn.

In fairness hot exhausting conditions and first game nerves played its part but the only impressive element out of the game was the unity and starch in the defence that kept at it all game(shows good attitude and fitness levels) even in the heat, but it really wasn't tested by a very weak predictable opposition.

Manly look good when playing short, flat, direct first man plays and using the second man depth plays as the option play. Playing more off the front foot and rolling forward is when we look good, i thought Croker(attacking wise) was disappointing also which didn't help with the sharpness out of the ruck. You can get away with steady play from the ruck when you have the likes of Foran and Walker offering attacking penetration and variety but today his limitations got showed up and made it more difficult for the lack of penetration style attack Cooper and DCE offer.

Having both Cooper and DCE who don't take the line on often will be showed up against quality opposition and the points wont flow unless we win the battle in the middle with the points coming off the back of winning the grind.

Was a boring game to watch and a struggle to stay interested throughout but i did love the effort on display which is good to see.
Some good points but just a tad harsh. It was very hot out there and it's the 1 st real hit out together. Johns was just really a link man today. They certainly missed some creativity. The forwards played tough but there were a few players struggling. The Bulldogs were ok for most of the 1st half except for kicking errors that was putting pressure on them. Certainly Croker was shown up attack wise by Mahoney but he tackled everything. I can't say I was bored at all at the game but things did drop off a bit coz of the fatigue. Anyway, I thought they did a pretty good job given the conditions and 1st round match.

Just went and mowed the lawn ad now enjoying a cold beer , I might even have two of them !!

Great start to the year.

Fabulous to win round 1 since , well I think it’s 15 years.

Fantastic to see the boys so “ together “

And can we have more daytime games with Lara Pitt in attendance.

Some good points but just a tad harsh. It was very hot out there and it's the 1 st real hit out together. Johns was just really a link man today. They certainly missed some creativity. The forwards played tough but there were a few players struggling. The Bulldogs were ok for most of the 1st half except for kicking errors that was putting pressure on them. Certainly Croker was shown up attack wise by Mahoney but he tackled everything. I can't say I was bored at all at the game but things did drop off a bit coz of the fatigue. Anyway, I thought they did a pretty good job given the conditions and 1st round match
I mentioned it was hot and first game nerves but the attacking structures in general were very poor to watch and not worth paying money for.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10