Game Day: Manly v Broncos [Round 9, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Last year same circumstances we would have got flogged. Personal I thought we held in there most of the game. They scored 18 points from gruber kicks behind the line, that is hard to cover from players playing out of position. Sure possession was poor in the 2nd half giving momentum to Bronco's, but that showed tiredness. All in all I didn't expect us to win but I thought there was more character shown by the team. Still proud to be a Silvertail!

draw coming up
Sharks away 4pm shark park
Gold Coast Titans 5 days later brookvale oval 6 pm
panthers away Thursday night 30th May
Then a big 9 day break before cowboys up in North Queensland 8th June
Dragons 2pm brookvale Sunday 16th June
Titans away Saturday 3 pm 29th of June with rep weekend in between 16-29th
Bye for us

So if we can drag 2/4 leading into the dragons game at home , then a break and one more match before the bye will see us in a good position.

Seriously 2 out 4 ? Even with the injuries, we have players back before the end of this run. I'd be pissed if we didn't win at least 4 of the 6! We are better than most of those teams!

We were off our game a bit. Our go forward was not dominant and i found our defence while not poor was allowing them too many metres per set. That said we where the better side for first 35 minutes either of miski tries is allowed 12 nil a different game.
elliot at back for few more weeks imagine getting caught with grubbers. I seen it in raiders game at end also he needs to work on this.
Injuries - sips off bench fair loss for year does good job, suli be 4 weeks, api not sure here.
Siro was horrid at 6, debut young cust unless hodko or croker back.

Even with all the injuries I still feel we went away from what’s been working....namely Api and Fainu on the back of offloads up the middle. We didn’t test their ruck enough, and we certainly didn’t test their hooker Turpin enough.
But in an injury ravaged game, my two highlights were Elliot running down Oates, and JetSki going straight over the top of Boyd to score.
The Roosters will put 50 on the Donkeys next week.

Agree, but the api-fainu rotation was thrown out the window when we lost the two centres, our game plan from then was all over the shop.

Des' presser indicated that the video sessions next week will be intense.

Players will be shown their errors along with clear instructions on how to remedy them.

This game will serve as a hard lesson, that if the players choose to take up, will expand their football nous :nerd:

#nextweek will be very interesting :happy:

The most annoying thing is the praise being heaped on Broncos. No disrespect to our brave and courageous team however if we had be playing the Rorters or Storm or Souths with the injuries during the game they would have all put 50+ on us. Brisbane were ordinary -Eagles did us proud with a superb effort ❤️

My thoughts on the game:

Without the injuries, I thought we could have won, but we didn't score enough points in the first 20 minutes when we had all the momentum. Would have preferred Cust at five eighth as this should have offered more options in attack, esp. close to the Broncos line. I think Sironen as no. 6 was a failed experiment. We had much better teams in past years when we occasionally used big bodies such as Kosef & Menzies in this role. We missed Suli & Parker's solid defence. esp. when both were off the field. The team tried hard - got the feeling the new recruits have pride in the jersey.

Very impressed with Gosiewski's try. He could develop into the destructive edge running forward Manly needs (if he eliminates bad passing options from his game). This could also be Suli's role down the track. Miski seems to be a competent first grade winger, but should learn to go infield looking for the ball more. Unimpressed with Boyle thus far.

Bird's injury is disappointing. I think he was almost a certainty for SOO selection as right centre or bench utility. With Turbo unavailable & Roberts out of form, there are no standouts for the NSW right centre position.* If Walker returns next week & plays a couple of good games, even he could be in contention. The team is selected on 27 May. The young Broncos half & hooker played very well as did Lodge who I think will discussed as a front row option by Blues selectors.

* Gutherson, of course, would fit well in the centres

Last edited:
Seriously 2 out 4 ? Even with the injuries, we have players back before the end of this run. I'd be pissed if we didn't win at least 4 of the 6! We are better than most of those teams!
Just playing it conservative with my predictions

Great spirit from the boys last night !! Disappointed in miski though he went missing in the game never really put his hand up to help the fowards out !

Felt bad for Miski.
He was filthy after the 2nd disallowed try.
Poor bugger will get another opportunity for his 1st grade try.

Made CC team of the week last week?

You have seen more of the BWSE side than most here... Is he consistently one of our best forwards for that side or did he have 1 good game? Because I'd point out that Lloyd Perrett has had good games at NRL level but he was/is not consistent enough to secure a spot.

From the matches I saw Paseka seemed like he lacked intensity both in attack and defense. He is a massive unit and I believe he is in our Top 30, so there must be a reason that he hasn't been selected by Des so far this year.

I think the presser after the game showed the massive difference between this year and last.

Reporter “Gallant effort out there tonight Des”

Des “Yeah, but we didn’t get the 2 points”

Loved it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10