Manly to hit open market for Walker replacement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So far the rumours in recruitment since des has been..
Euian Aitken
Kotoni Staggs
Jacob Liddle
Wade Graham
Luke Thompson

Last edited:
I can't understand how this 'cap relief' works, and the following explanation is unclear to me:
While the NRL is willing to provide salary cap relief to those affected by the "no-fault stand down" rule, some clubs may baulk at the opportunity given they will have to pay for another player out of their own pockets.
The NRL covers the salary cap in the grant provided to clubs, however additional expenditure doesn't come out of the governing body's coffers.

Can someone explain it so a simple bloke like me can understand?
For example. if Walker is on $600,000 how much can we spend on a replacement? For how long can we engage a new player? Is it until Walker is allowed to play again? Who accurately knows this; the court system can drag on (and certainly will for de Belin). Then, if Walker is found guilty and terminated by the club how much are we able to pay for the replacement player till the end of the season?

Penrith might have some players interested in moving on, can't be an overly happy camp right now and they have a surfeit of backline talent.

Jacob Liddle is a weird one with api and manase
Liddle seems a very structured, creative and smart player. He needs to develop but I have had a feeling he will one day be one of the best hookers in the NRL. Api and Fainu are very similar to one-another and are already very talented, so it's unlikely we will keep them together. I reckon sign Liddle and try have him eventually replace Koroisau over a season or two, seems a Matt Ballin type for some reason.

I'd be very, very happy with Jacob Liddle and Euan Aitken taking the place of Manese Fainu, Jorge Taufua and (pls add in -->) Brad Parker. Liddle and Aitken are two players I never thought would have a chance of joining Manly, although regardless of whether this is truthful or just a rumour, we should be targeting both. In my opinion.

I can't understand how this 'cap relief' works, and the following explanation is unclear to me:
While the NRL is willing to provide salary cap relief to those affected by the "no-fault stand down" rule, some clubs may baulk at the opportunity given they will have to pay for another player out of their own pockets.
The NRL covers the salary cap in the grant provided to clubs, however additional expenditure doesn't come out of the governing body's coffers.

Can someone explain it so a simple bloke like me can understand?
For example. if Walker is on $600,000 how much can we spend on a replacement? For how long can we engage a new player? Is it until Walker is allowed to play again? Who accurately knows this; the court system can drag on (and certainly will for de Belin). Then, if Walker is found guilty and terminated by the club how much are we able to pay for the replacement player till the end of the season?

We can sign whoever we want for however long we want, but the NRL will only add a certain amount to our salary cap. For example. Walker is on 600K and the NRL will look at his suspension (2 months) and say that is about a quarter of the season so we get $150K extra added onto our cap for this season. So we could go and sign Aitken on a 3 year deal for $350K a season, but we would have to make room for the extra $200K. This might explain why Frankie was let go. So in theory, if Walker is found Not Guitly, we could then have both Walker and Aitken playing the year out in the centres.

I feel like we need a middle forward and winger more.

A good prop or lock is what we need most, we are so light on there. Marty is good but I believe a little over rated, especially in defence. We need to get these reserve graders off the bench one way or another.

There's so many good wingers around not getting a start that we could target and in this day and age they are as important as Centres.

We can sign whoever we want for however long we want, but the NRL will only add a certain amount to our salary cap. For example. Walker is on 600K and the NRL will look at his suspension (2 months) and say that is about a quarter of the season so we get $150K extra added onto our cap for this season. So we could go and sign Aitken on a 3 year deal for $350K a season, but we would have to make room for the extra $200K. This might explain why Frankie was let go. So in theory, if Walker is found Not Guitly, we could then have both Walker and Aitken playing the year out in the centres.
How would it work if you already had a full squad of 30? Does that mean you can potentially have 31 players with the exemption???

Can't see this story having any credibility other than it is for a long term recruitment ... simply using the replacement as a means to recoup some of the cost ... player has probably already been spoken to ....

Anyway .... hope we take our time and get an International standard player ... if Walker is leaving we can afford it ... rather than some of the Neville's being named ...

We do not need to be dumb ...... we need to buy wise ....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6