Manly team vs Penerith next week

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
give matty balin a break10 minutes before each half ends.. farrar  goes to hooker hoppa goes to fullback..

I'm getting sick of Bailey.  He let in both second half tries on Saturday night.  I can forgive Big George some defensive lapses, but not Bailey.  No excuses.  jjai is correct, Penriff are slick and fast and we need to be slick and fast to beat them, but I can't see a position on the bench for him.  Hoppa on the bench.

DSM5 link said:
I'm getting sick of Bailey.  He let in both second half tries on Saturday night.  I can forgive Big George some defensive lapses, but not Bailey.  No excuses.  jjai is correct, Penriff are slick and fast and we need to be slick and fast to beat them, but I can't see a position on the bench for him.  Hoppa on the bench.

I think Matai's injury played a part in those tries to be honest.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Daddycool link=topic=183649.msg267786#msg267786 date=1276955920]
Physically, Hoppa is bigger than Farrar and is much better under the high ball. With the possibility of both Lyon and Matai being out again, we need a spark.
As I said, Farrar tries really hard but #6 might be his best position and I believe Hoppa's is Fullback. Foran can cover #7, #6 and centre about equally and he did a good job on Champion who's been in good form.

Maybe in height, but Farrar as Clontaago reported a few weeks back is one of the most cut individuals in the team!

For mine the most mportant thing is getting the captaincy right, we need someone to lead out there and need an 80 minute player to do it.

So therefore, name Ballin in captain, and it will certainly improve our result.

It isnt the fact Lyon is Lyon it is that he is also a good captain, King and Stewart are not. If we lack a captain we lack leadership and no-one gels.
[/quote]

I agree. What's killing us at the moment is a lack of leadership on the field. Losing Lyon is a huge blow for us. Hodko's got nothing as far as leadership skills go. Foran isn't much better.

Ballin's the man for the job. Having said that, I don't like our chances against Penrith without Lyon.

Codewana, Des had Rodney sitting down while Matai struggled on.  Rodney could have been on the field in the defensive line when they scored.  Sometimes Des's substitute rotation leaves me wondering.  Why would you have your goal kicker on the bench.  Did he know we wouldn't have been given a penalty within kicking range or score a try? 

DSM5 link said:
Codewana, Des had Rodney sitting down while Matai struggled on.  Rodney could have been on the field in the defensive line when they scored.  Sometimes Des's substitute rotation leaves me wondering.  Why would you have your goal kicker on the bench.  Did he know we wouldn't have been given a penalty within kicking range or score a try?  

I was thinking the same thing. Rodney has played centre before as well - 2003 Grand Final, filled in for Ryan Girdler after he got injured

DSM5 link said:
Codewana, Des had Rodney sitting down while Matai struggled on.  Rodney could have been on the field in the defensive line when they scored.  Sometimes Des's substitute rotation leaves me wondering.  Why would you have your goal kicker on the bench.  Did he know we wouldn't have been given a penalty within kicking range or score a try? 

You're 100% right. All I'm getting at is that Bailey can't take all the blame when they are effectively a man short on Matai's side - that's all.

Rodney should never leave the field.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Daddycool link=topic=183649.msg267786#msg267786 date=1276955920]

For mine the most mportant thing is getting the captaincy right, we need someone to lead out there and need an 80 minute player to do it.

So therefore, name Ballin in captain, and it will certainly improve our result.

It isnt the fact Lyon is Lyon it is that he is also a good captain, King and Stewart are not. If we lack a captain we lack leadership and no-one gels.

Dan you have hit the nail on the head.  I was about to post something along those lines myself but you beat me to it.

Without Killers leadership we simply do not perform.  Kingy my be a good leader off the ground but he does not motivate the team enough on the field.  Robbo has been there a few years now maybe he might be a shot a captain but I do agree with MB having a go.  He seems to to have the skills to be a good leader.

1. Hoppa
2.  Robertson
3. Farrar
4. Matai (Whare if matai is out)
5. Williams
6. Foran
7. Hodkinson
8. King
9. Ballin
10. Perry
11. Watmough
12. Rodney
13. Stewart

14. Rose
15. Kite
16. Cross
17. Gulavou

Surely we can get the win, and get through to the bye, gives us more time for killer !

Hey Copa Eagle... Welcome!

Quick issue with your team is that we have no one to backup should something happen to one of our backs. I don't like the idea of throwing Bailey in the team, but he does (sort of) have that ability.

Ryan link said:
Seriously though - with Lyon / Stewart / Wolfman all on the sidelines....that's a pretty massive chunk of cap sitting there...

That's the real point. How would the filthy cheats be going if Slater, Inglis and Matt Duffie were out?

All things considered we can't afford to have high expectations.

Codewana I have little faith in Bailey.  I've joined the conga line, so I'd have Copa-Eagle's team.....no Bailey.

There were other goal kickers still out on the field when Rodney went off.  T-Rex is a kicker and also if we had to we could have used Matai as a last resort even though he was injured.

Jethro Matai was a passenger for the second half.  Souffs attacked his edge and the current opinion is that they scored because he was on the field.  We did have Rodney off the field, so my comment was regarding the defensive problems down Matai's side.  The kicking issue was an add on.  I further think that Des has a problem with rotation. 

DSM5 link said:
Codewana I have little faith in Bailey.  I've joined the conga line, so I'd have Copa-Eagle's team.....no Bailey.

I'm fine with no Bailey - I just think we need a reserve back, especially with two youngsters playing in Whare and Hoppa.

codewana link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=183649.msg268173#msg268173 date=1277100479]

I'm fine with no Bailey - I just think we need a reserve back, especially with two youngsters playing in Whare and Hoppa.
[/quote]

Im not sure on Bailey, he plays so flat, he always looks like hes flat footed in defence, never really commits to tackles, theres always the option of putting glenn stewart at five eight ?

DSM5 link said:
Jethro Matai was a passenger for the second half.  Souffs attacked his edge and the current opinion is that they scored because he was on the field.  We did have Rodney off the field, so my comment was regarding the defensive problems down Matai's side.  The kicking issue was an add on.  I further think that Des has a problem with rotation. 

DSM,

My comment was in relation to your earlier comment where you asked the questions "Why would you have your goal kicker on the bench? Did he know we wouldn't have been given a penalty within kicking range or score a try?"  I just had forgotten to insert your quote into my post. 

I was fully aware that Matai was a passenger in the second half and even for a majority of the last 20 minutes of the first half and that is why I said in my response that you could use him as a last resort (because he was injured) to kick goals if required.  With both Jamie and Rodney off the field, the next in line should have been T-Rex to goal kick if required or even Hodko (who I've just thought of as well). 

As a general question to anybody, we have a good selection of goal kickers in our team to choose from with the five that I have previously mentioned but do we have anymore?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4