Manly Supporter Group - Everyone Read- including Admins

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Stewie123

G'day Everyone,

The idea of the formation of a Manly Supporter Group, emcompassing members of MSE, Silvertails, WSS and Eagle Rockers has been re-lit with ongoing support by members on MSE. For all intended, I would just like to know what your thoughts would be:

1. Firstly on whether you'd join such a group
2. Secondly whether you think the group should be conducted in an independent forum such as League Unlimited (whom of which the Admin have agreed to set up a private sub forum only to be used by Manly supporters within the newly formed group)
3. Thirdly the idea of whether you would join the group with the idea in mind that from every unofficial Manly forum, one moderating position will be available within the newly created group. So for example, Silvertails gets one moderating position, likewise with all the other unofficial forums. By allowing the forum to be taken outside of JUST manly admin control, (Lu admin are not manly related), the newly made group will be run by its members. So basically, there will be 7 or so moderators on the forum itself, and these people, plus the members, will decide the progressions and decisions of the group. This is mainly due to the intereference the admin at other specific forums may have over the group and we basicallly want it to be able to cooperate as best we can with what the members want etc.

Furthermore, if everyone would be able to give feedback regarding this idea, whether it be good or bad, don't hesitate, because the players need us fans. By creating a single supporters group, we hope to rival groups of other clubs such as the Knights Brigade, the Wests Tigers Fanatics and the Raiders Army etc etc. By answering the above 3 simple questions, your responses are the stepping stones that could help us create this supporter group.

Thank You for taking the time to read this, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve ;)

First of all the idea that this should be a web based thing is the completely incorrect approach.

We have online supporter groups, we dont need that and it is not a starting point. We dont need a replacement for what we have but instead need an entirely new strategy.

All the ideas of a new forum or a new site are pointless and serve absolutely no purpose. On top of that many of the league community have issues with LU, which I also harbour.

What we need is a supporters group run by, if not supported by the club, they need to get a member of one of the AFL supporters groups to show how they do it.

It is not about an online community but instead na offline one of passionate supporters who gather together to build those large run on signs, to build the big flags to gather at all games in the same place and to give a central focal point for the cheers.

Any ideas of an online community to do such things will fail and end in the further splitting fo the fans rather than bringing them together. Until everyone sees this it is a waste of time thinking about it.

We do not need a replacment of what we have we need a brand new model!

I agree with Dan. It just won't work. One negative comment from any individual on a joint forum and it will be ****fight city.

It is not even about that MB it is the fact an online supporter group is not needed. Why further diversify when they need consolidation.?

An offline group is what is needed

I wish I could.

The only way to do what is needed as I say is to Pay the leaders of say the carlton supporters group to come up, help set them up help run some of the activities etc.

The problem is in league we just have no idea how to do it. These guys have done it and have built a massively succesful group for each team so why not leveredge this knowledge?

I dont see how it needs to affect the current online forums in any way. For me idea of a combined supporter group should be above and beyond any of the current forums including MSE. Yes it would require some form of web presence as this is the most cost effective method of distributing information, but another forum is not the answer.

Is it just me or are people making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

It is $64 just to be member of Carlton, that gets you a few things but not entry into matches.

I am just attemtping to post the different membership packages they offer.

Entry into matches isn't needed we dont need to follow their model exactly but we need to know how they go about getting the group together their extra curicular activiteis etc.

Dan you dont understand the people down here. NRL fans and AFL fans are completely different. I will explain shortly, I need coffee.

yeah i know most of us still have teeth. But it is a start mate, they have a better idea on how to do these things

Yeah but its a culture down here, a culture that we just dont have. One of the girls that works here was heavily involved with the Richmond footy club. Every Wednesday night she would go to a place (not sure who organised, it would have needed to be a rather large empty space required) where they made up the banners for the weekends game. This would seriously take around about 6 hours.

She would drive to Adelaide everytime they played there. For what you and I would put away for a house deposit or furniture they would save so they could fly to Perth to watch their team.

They are a completely different species. They have nothing else and thats why they are so heavily focused on the AFL.

I'm not against what the club or supporters are trying to do, but I dont think the Manly supporter base will ever be as unified or as loud and supportive as other clubs.

The whole point of the group is to get away from the current online supporter group "divisions" and then you want to go and make a forum with a rep from each sub group? :roll:

I would post here, my exact words as written on MSE, about this subject regarding a new supproters group however they moved the thread and deleted my posts.

My posts were unoffensive and did breach any rules or regulations.

It just lends weight to the proposition that ST is a necessary service for Manly fans.

SilentBob I think only Silvertails see this. That is the problem.

Until they are ready to see this things will not change, they are looking for replacements not a something new!

yeah i know most of us still have teeth. But it is a start mate, they have a better idea on how to do these things

Forgive me a brief foray but you guys know this has been a particular passion of mine.

Dan is spot on when he says that this talk of setting up a special online community at LU is completely the wrong way to go about this. The LU mob are insular and brain dead to start off with. It might work for Penrif or Cronulla but not Manly.

Again, Dan is correct that we need a new model, and Doug is right to point out that looking at the AFL is maybe not the best way of comparing bananas and pears.

Closer to home we had a situation where Sydney FC were formed from scratch and before they'd kicked a ball in anger they had a few thousand people manufacturing banners, large shirts etc. I'd be getting in touch to see how that was done.

We don't need a virtual community. This will take the creation of a real community with a common and shared interest in Manly.

It will take a central person who is a green hat thinker, with heaps of ideas to promote and grow community and also the ability to include several diverse groups. It will not be an easy task - Byso's thought that the club employ someone to do this is a good one.

Bottom line is to have someone designated to this might cost $50,000+ pa. However, you could probably make a case that you could reap 5 times that amount, or more through increased club exposure, sponsorship etc etc etc.

That's all I have time for at the moment but who knows .........

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4