Manly Supporter Group - Everyone Read- including Admins

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would like to see as a priority somebody at the club arrange a block of seats at each away venue with ticketek (I assume thats where tickets are purchased) so that for each away game fans could ring up and say I want seats in the manly area. I think this would encourage more fans to attend away games due to the safety in numbers factor as well as congregating supporters in one area so chants etc are more effective. MSE could then update their site with comments like "we currently have 3000 fans booked into the Manly area for this Saturday nights game at Aussie Stadium come along and see us thrash the Roosters" etc.
The offline supporters club has to be organised at a local level so I will leave that to those in that area.

[quote author=Daniel]
yeah i know most of us still have teeth. But it is a start mate, they have a better idea on how to do these things

Forgive me a brief foray but you guys know this has been a particular passion of mine.

Dan is spot on when he says that this talk of setting up a special online community at LU is completely the wrong way to go about this. The LU mob are insular and brain dead to start off with. It might work for Penrif or Cronulla but not Manly.

Again, Dan is correct that we need a new model, and Doug is right to point out that looking at the AFL is maybe not the best way of comparing bananas and pears.

Closer to home we had a situation where Sydney FC were formed from scratch and before they'd kicked a ball in anger they had a few thousand people manufacturing banners, large shirts etc. I'd be getting in touch to see how that was done.

We don't need a virtual community. This will take the creation of a real community with a common and shared interest in Manly.

It will take a central person who is a green hat thinker, with heaps of ideas to promote and grow community and also the ability to include several diverse groups. It will not be an easy task - Byso's thought that the club employ someone to do this is a good one.

Bottom line is to have someone designated to this might cost $50,000+ pa. However, you could probably make a case that you could reap 5 times that amount, or more through increased club exposure, sponsorship etc etc etc.

That's all I have time for at the moment but who knows .........

[/quote]
your whole above post is why you need to stay here. I hope you bury your differences and i for one will keep smart arse comments to myself.
I agree with all the posts so i really have nothing xtra to add. i just wish i was down there, cause id make the banners each week etc. Getting people to help and do this shouldnt be a problem. It is just getting funds and someone to organise.

I was thinking more of a rallying point for Manly supporters at games and coordinated through Manlyseaeagles.com website. It would need to be connected with the club. It should be cheap to join ($5) and loosely connected to membership. Its aim should be a congregation of Manly supporters to rally around and support at both home and away games.

I am not against a forum at LU but the last three years have shown what misunderstandings come about through web forums.

I think UP's idea of a "designated area" at away games, especially finals is a great idea.

The club should organise with ticketek or ticketmaster in conjunction with the venue, and at each away game have a block of seating that is available to all fans, however when you book, if you request to be in the Manly Supporter Group Section the ticket sellers have the info at hand and can put you in that area.

I know this wouldnt be for everyone as people have preferences in where they are seated but at least it provides the option.

We are all in agreeance though that this must be a club run thing??

I think UP's idea of a \"designated area\" at away games, especially finals is a great idea.

The club should organise with ticketek or ticketmaster in conjunction with the venue, and at each away game have a block of seating that is available to all fans, however when you book, if you request to be in the Manly Supporter Group Section the ticket sellers have the info at hand and can put you in that area.

I know this wouldnt be for everyone as people have preferences in where they are seated but at least it provides the option.

The finals showed up that this can be problematic. The riff raff were sitting in the cheap seats at the end of the ground (Bay 41) while us toffs paid double the price to sit side to the ground (Bay 36/7). It split our cohesion and collective voice.

What was noticeable was that the Red V army all congregated at the ends. So I'd imagine that some had taken the decision to sit in the cheaper seats and enjoy the "community" over the superior view.

A couple of observations:

1. A collective supporter group will probably need to be located in the cheaper section as people are more likely to sacrifice view for atmosphere than they are to pay extra for it.

2. Of all clubs this could represent the greatest problem for Manly as we probably have a slightly richer fan base than most clubs?

I ask Corso Pete not to take this the wrong way. The reality is that the leaders of the supporter group will need to be articulate, well presented and charismatic.

The current culture at the club is that any volunteer is good enough, but this means that patrons are often greeted at the gates by people that don't fit the articulate, well presented, charismatic mode. If this happens with the new group, where it is run by and "led" by well-intentioned "misfits" (I use the word cautiously, but I mean it in the sense of people that wouldn't really fit the normal North Shore mode) it will be fatal for the new group.

This group will be better not done at all than done poorly. I suspect it will take the best part of the off season to put something together that is appropriate for the first game and then it will take a season or two of hard yards to gather appropriate momentum.

Yes, but with a few conditions:

1. LU is not used, and it not be a thing about web-sites.
2. It not be a job for "one of the boys" or tacked onto someone's existing job description.
3. Define the job and find the person to do it, rather than grab the nearest person and fit the job around them.
4. It needs to be treated as any investment or business - there is the potential for a loss in the opening year or two so it must be a long term investment with a long term focus on the rewards available.
5. Unquantifiable benefits must also be taken into account.
6. A broom put through the thought that there is any existing "official" supporters club or any fan base that has a particularly controlling interest in this going ahead.

Who is this Steven that is putting the proposal to us for instance? (The loss of my admin rights mean I can't make a check).

[quote author=Daniel]

2. It not be a job for "one of the boys" or tacked onto someone's existing job description.
3. Define the job and find the person to do it, rather than grab the nearest person and fit the job around them.
4. It needs to be treated as any investment or business - there is the potential for a loss in the opening year or two so it must be a long term investment with a long term focus on the rewards available.
6. A broom put through the thought that there is any existing "official" supporters club or any fan base that has a particularly controlling interest in this going ahead.

Who is this Steven that is putting the proposal to us for instance? (The loss of my admin rights mean I can't make a check).

[/quote]

This point for mine is of greatest significance. Any other way and it will fall flat on its arse. This has to be a stand alone role.

[quote author=Daniel]

[/quote]

The Scuba Steve guy or whatever his name is from LU I guess, one of the mods in the Manly section.

The Scuba Steve guy or whatever his name is from LU I guess, one of the mods in the Manly section.

That'd be why he's pushing the LU line. It is fatal.

Suggest we make our own submission Dan if we can muster the enthusiasm and bury our cynicism that it will get the same treatment as the last one.

I can get it straight to the top this time.

Yeah problem is they wont take it seriously. i would suggest approaching the Penns directly with the information and let them fight that battle rather than trying to do it through the administration. As much as we would like it not to be prejudices just will never die

Well thanks for the feedback anywayz guys. My stance on the whole situation has changed in the past 10 hours, so basically i think as you said it needs to be run by the club!! How they are going to coordinate it may get a touch difficult but if they end up bringing it all together, I'd gladly support it and help out in making it a success.

Anywayz, thanks for your feedback once again, and look forward to talking with you guys in the not to distant future.

Cheers

Yeah problem is they wont take it seriously. i would suggest approaching the Penns directly with the information and let them fight that battle rather than trying to do it through the administration. As much as we would like it not to be prejudices just will never die

Agreed

Ah, Steven Fulop. Aaron Downie here, we went to the Parra match with the Fletcher's if you remember?

Anyway, I agree with you lot that it should be a club run thing and should shy away from being more of an online community to more of an 'at the game' type thing. If anything needs to be discussed about it, the official website should do fine.

Ah, Steven Fulop. Aaron Downie here, we went to the Parra match with the Fletcher's if you remember?

Anyway, I agree with you lot that it should be a club run thing and should shy away from being more of an online community to more of an 'at the game' type thing. If anything needs to be discussed about it, the official website should do fine.
Was the rest of Summer Bay there.

[quote author=Downie]

Was the rest of Summer Bay there.
[/quote]

Is this Home and Away or Neighbours? I am questioning why a man of your calibre would watch such shows, earl!

I have calibre????
Damn, i dont even own a gun.
But really , I am hooked on Neighbours :blush: and cant stand home & Away except if it is the footy season. :lol2:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4