Manly Sea Eagles legends tell Anthony Watmough to stop disrespecting his old club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyArmy

Bencher
FIRED-UP Manly legends have called on Anthony Watmough to keep his mouth shut, move to Parramatta, and stop disrespecting the club that made him a life member.

In the countdown to what’s sure to be a fiery round one grudge match between arch rivals Parramatta and Manly, Watmough lit the fuse with an extraordinary attack on his old club at the Eels’ recent season launch.

A Sea Eagles’ life member, Watmough publicly admitted to his “hate” of Manly — and indirectly took another swipe at Geoff Toovey.

While Toovey refused to get into a public slanging match with his former star back-rower on Wednesday, Manly greats Ken Arthurson, Terry Randall and Max Krilich reminded Watmough what the club did for him.

Randall called his comments “dumb” and said “just keep your mouth shut”, while Krilich suggested Watmough should leave the northern beaches and go live at Parramatta.

Told Watmough had said “there’s people in this team who hate Manly even more than I do”, Arthurson was clearly shocked and upset.

“He said that? He said he hates Manly?” Arthurson asked. “For him to say those things really disappoints me.

“I have no issue with him going to another club.

“But for him to speak in disparaging terms of the club, particularly as a life member, is very, very poor taste really.

“I think the Manly club has been very, very good to Anthony.

“I have the greatest respect for how he played for Manly and I regard him as a friend.

“As a matter of fact, I supported his life membership. I am just absolutely astounded.

“He has done a great job for Manly but the Manly club has been good to him, too.

“I mean, no one would have heard of Anthony Watmough if he had not have been playing football and the Manly club has helped him through the years. I am really disappointed.”

“Brad is a pretty inspiring person.”

Asked if it was time for Watmough to move on, Toovey told media at training: “I don’t know why he wouldn’t but as I said you’d have to ask Anthony that question.”

Toovey again declined to comment when The Daily Telegraph contacted him afterwards.

Krilich suggested if Watmough hates Manly so much he should move out west.

“I think he should go and live out at Parramatta to be honest. He’ll enjoy it,” Krilich said.

“We all know Choc has had his demons and the club has always stood by him. Now he wants to bag them. It’s sad.

“The Manly football club has set him up for life. Now he wants to come back and have a shot at this club.

“I was the one who actually put him up for life membership. I think it is a sad indictment on the young fella.”

On social media, fans were outraged. Toovey’s former teammate Mark “Spud” Carroll was guarded in his defence.

“I don’t want to say too much. Toovs is a good mate of mine,” Carroll said.

Former enforcer Randall’s advice was straightforward.

“Anthony is probably better off where he is now because he is happier but just keep your mouth shut,” Randall said.

“I know Choc. I’m not a mate of his but I see him in the street a bit. But from my point of view it is a dumb thing for him to say.

“You know the old saying, a still tongue is a wise head. I think it is a bit silly on Watmough’s behalf because he sounds like a bitter man.

“He would be better off saying nothing at all.”

Attachments

• 588817-2d5ed870-b747-11e4-89a7-658c9eaa89c0.jpg
    588817-2d5ed870-b747-11e4-89a7-658c9eaa89c0.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 5,619
Last edited by a moderator:
The legends have spoken! You will never learn Whatmough!~ You really believe that you are bigger than this club well you are about to find out how fickle football is. Trust me you choose to play with the whining worms and you will reap what you sow! Mediocrity!!

good on these guys for speaking out; no doubt it will give Choc something to think about.

The audacity to bag Toovey is astounding. What ever happened to respect? Toovey led from the front as a club captain, Watmough was just a member of the 17. I know who'll long be spoken of at the club, and who will just be a name on a team sheet from yesteryear.

I pity the man who speaks before his brain (if he has one) has engaged. What an embarrassment he has become to himself and his family.

You know, I have a lot of respect for Choc and what he did as a Manly player. He was a true warrior for this club in one of the toughest positions (second row) that there is on a rugby league field. He bled for this club, he won premierships with the club.

Seriously, he needs to pull his head in. But then again this is Choc. His mouth has more often than not gone into gear before his brain has started clicking and he's often come out looking like a complete goose.

Arko is right. Without Manly giving him a go in the first place, no one would have heard of Anthony Watmough. He's earned more money from Manly in just over a decade than most people will earn in their entire working lives. He's become an international with the club and played numerous Origins for NSW. Would he have achieved any of this if Manly didn't think he was worth it 12 or 13 years ago?

Its a bit of a kick in the guts for Max Krilich as he's the one who put Choc up for life membership.

Choc.....take a page from your mate Gifty's book. If anyone had reason to be publicly bitter with Manly at the end of last season it was Glenn Stewart. He never wanted to leave but was shown the door and told he wasn't wanted any more. Unlike Choc though, Gift didn't unload on the club when he left. He left with dignity and his reputation intact.

The more he opens his mouth and bags his former club the more he makes a fool of himself . Its his own reputation that is getting tarnished and not our club . He is acting like a child and if Brad Arthur is considering a childish person like Choc to captain his team it just goes to show what a poor quality of a coach that he is .

He is ideal to captain the whinging worms, It will always be someone elses fault that is their culture and I can see how he will piss off the refs very fast.

Super Coach Arthur please make Watnow captain of the Squeels :rofl:;):nod:

When legends like these speak, you'd think any normal person would listen, yeah? Terry Randall was a true blue champion. Wonder what Chad's up to these days?

I remember he said Igor was his hero when he was a kid. He should take his advice and shut his mouth although I feel the damage he has done his reputation at Manly is already irreparable.

Note to Anthony whatnow
Closed mouth gathers no foot
I have taken your picture of the wall
Foolish man

When legends like these speak, you'd think any normal person would listen, yeah? Terry Randall was a true blue champion. Wonder what Chad's up to these days?
Chad is our SG Ball coach this year

This is what some one posted on Chocs Fb page today

MOVE TO PARRA YOU WESTY
AND GET RID OF ALL THOSE MANLY TATTS
GO GET A ****TY EEL ON YA YA DUMB PRICK

Good to see the club legends come out and throw their support behind the club.

To be honest, choc likes the media, always has. He is probably making these comments knowing full well it will give him alot of attention.

The problem is he is only thinking short term. Many people have always said to me when you leave a job, try leave on the best of terms. Its a small world and you never know what will happen in 5 years. Burning bridges may mean you get burnt.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6