Manly players under pressure for their futures after shellacking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don 't mind Siro and at his best , damm good player but why is he not using his attacking prowess running good lines a bit wider at the opposition halves instead of trying to take on the middle on general dead end runs and no real forward momentum . Not to mention then the stifling of the attack outside him with that style of play . Suli has the capacity to do some damage but he hardly gets the ball with Siro on his side and D C E cutting back against the run of play often .
I think all those knee injuries have dulled his speed and creativity. Notice he ended up the game playing in the middle? Not sure of that was intentional or he’d just left his post, but he was making a lot of solid, successive tackles in the middle third for a bit. Looks more like a prop to me these days...

Staggs was on the Manly radar some four years ago so at least the talent scouts were on the alert there . Think that he is looking at 700 k or so , already have Suli on 550 k , Can 't see it happening with Manly and think that he would prefer to sty at the Broncs unless some other club is prepared to pay overs . As for Brown , may bring a bit of mongrel but would not pay overs . Oloka - atu was showing a bit of aggression on the week end for Black Town , and surely is up to i st grade standard now , not sure of his injury report but will be a bit dishearted if he is out for any extended time
Agree on Olakauatu - reminds me of that big bopper who punched on with Payne Haas in origin, now at Titans. Name escapes me. Tino something. Haumole is also fast and skilful for a 114kg forward. NRL Physio website suggested he’d ‘only’ be out for six weeks or so depending on severity (and it looked BAD...really bad).

Agree on Olakauatu - reminds me of that big bopper who punched on with Payne Haas in origin, now at Titans. Name escapes me. Tino something. Haumole is also fast and skilful for a 114kg forward. NRL Physio website suggested he’d ‘only’ be out for six weeks or so depending on severity (and it looked BAD...really bad).
Big Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

The good news is fullback Tom Trbojevic looked to be running relatively freely at the club’s headquarters on Sydney’s northern beaches on Monday, providing hope that he may be back sooner than expected.

Can't come soon enough
He injured his other hammy
Dont they say that the risk of re injuring it again after the initial is fairly high..does that meen we are prob going to be without him again at some point this season

Definitely the take away from the article. Can’t imagine he’ll be rushed back but good signs.
If history has shown us anything with Tom and his injury rehabbing, its that the more desperate the team is for a win, the earlier they will bring him back. And if that happens - he's going down again.

Don 't mind Siro and at his best , damm good player but why is he not using his attacking prowess running good lines a bit wider at the opposition halves instead of trying to take on the middle on general dead end runs and no real forward momentum . Not to mention then the stifling of the attack outside him with that style of play . Suli has the capacity to do some damage but he hardly gets the ball with Siro on his side and D C E cutting back against the run of play often .
Funny thing is Siro didn’t play that way in 2019.......& Suli was at his damaging best. Our run into the finals & in the semis showed what the team was capable of. Why has Des changed the structure & attacking prowess of Siro & Suli?

Need to ask Des......

Des Hasler isn’t the only high-profile identity under pressure at Manly with centre Dylan Walker and backrower Curtis Sironen mired in a frantic fight for their futures at the Sea Eagles.

Hasler is expected to sign a new deal with Manly as early as this week and while it will provide both he and the club with a degree of certainty, the contract is expected to be heavily incentivised, giving Manly the opportunity to cut the cord with their premiership-winning coach without having to pay a hefty severance.

At least Hasler has an offer on the table. Walker and Sironen, as well as winger Reuben Garrick, are off contract and The Australian understands they need to convince Manly officials that they deserve new deals.

The Sea Eagles are among a slew of clubs with an interest in Brisbane’s Kotoni Staggs — the Broncos remain confident they will keep the strike centre despite the Gold Coast and powerful Sydney clubs including Canterbury and Parramatta circling him with lucrative offers.

The Sea Eagles are also keeping their options open in the back row, where a handful of players are off contract at the end of the season. The club has been linked with Parramatta’s Nathan Brown while South Sydney and Queensland’s Jaydn Su’A, Parramatta’s Ryan Matterson, and Penrith and Queensland second rower Kurt Capewell could become targets should Manly head to market.

There is a growing feeling that the Sea Eagles need to freshen things up. Hasler retains the club’s support, but their desire to tie him to a heavily incentivised contract indicates that patience is wearing thin after a troubling 12 months.

He has largely put his faith in the same group of players over the past year with little to show for it. Some of that faith has clearly been misguided, most notably in hooker Manase Fainu, who remains on the sidelines as he fights criminal charges.

Rather than chase a quality hooker, Manly have extended Fainu’s contract, plugged the hole and waited for his criminal action to play out. That folly of that decision was highlighted when Lachlan Croker filled the void against the Roosters and failed to threaten the opposition.

Cade Cust, another converted half, is likely to get his chance this weekend. Regardless, there was no excuse for the way the side played on Saturday against the Sydney Roosters, something that was acknowledged by members of a traumatised playing group on Monday morning.

“Confidence is a little bit rattled . it is tough,” Sironen said.

“You don’t want to get embarrassed like that in round one. It was just a landslide in the end trying to stop them, which was pretty **** for us.

“It was tough to be out there honestly. You never want to get beat like that, especially when you have trained so hard and prepared.

“It is really just deflating. You train so hard, out your body since November through all this stuff.”

Walker went home and watched a replay of the game on Saturday night.

“When you are getting spanked by 40 points, it is never a good feeling,” Walker said.

“Physically we weren’t matching it with them.”

The task doesn’t get any easier for the Sea Eagles. They face South Sydney and Penrith in coming weeks — sandwiched between those two games is a meeting with St George Illawarra.

The good news is fullback Tom Trbojevic looked to be running relatively freely at the club’s headquarters on Sydney’s northern beaches on Monday, providing hope that he may be back sooner than expected.

As for his own future, Sironen said: “I am really happy here. Last year I was a bit disappointed with how I went. I just want to start the season well.

“We have had a little bit of chat back and forth. There is nothing set in stone. If I start the year well, hopefully there is something there in the next month or so. I love it here.”

Walker is in the same situation. The former NSW centre played fullback against the Roosters and needs to find his best form if he wants to force Manly’s hand on a new contract.

“Hopefully staying around but don’t know yet,” Walker said.

“Just have to play good football and tossing up games like that, probably won’t get one (contract). It would be silly if I wasn’t thinking about it — I have two kids and bills to pay.

“At the end of the day football will take care of that — if I play good football, it sorts itself out. That is something I have to keep in the background.

“I can’t be naive about it. What I can do is work on myself more — what I have to do for my family to be a better person for them.’’
Oh my - so sad to read stuff like this. Such selfish and self absorbed talk.

It's no wonder this team is a failure to this point.

NYEagle

Matterson would be a good pick up, hopefully the Eels pay overs for Nathan Brown, Moses and Dylan Brown and can’t match the offer we could put forward for Matterson.
He is one of the best players in the game, getting him would be massive. Hopefully we are only chasing brown to make parra pay overs but the real target is matterson. One of the best defenders and offloaders. Can put in a kick and doesn't shirk the tough stuff. We need a player like him to help dce. Sir Loin is done

Watched 7 news tonight and got to admit the DCE laughing REALLY pissed me off! What part of last week was funny? What part of "that wasn't my best game" was funny. WTF, guess he's laughing because his daily rate is way above mine. I think outside NRL he's a great bloke along with his marvelous wife and really fan friendly., but to think there is something funny this week he's missing something very important - the game is about commitment to the game, the fans who bleed for their club, in your own performance, backing your mates on the field, being able to walk of the field and say I gave my best.

Think our Captain needs to have a reality check.

Oh my - so sad to read stuff like this. Such selfish and self absorbed talk.

It's no wonder this team is a failure to this point.

NYEagle
I've re-read what you highlighted four or five times and not seeing how it is coming across as selfish or self absorbed?

He has obviously been asked about being off contract, stated a couple of times that he needs to focus on his game and that it will sort itself out if he does so.

He states that performances like Sat means he likely wouldn't get a contract.

States its on his mind cause he has a family......I mean these guys are human, of course it would play on his mind.

Remember this guys have to get up in front of the media and answer these questions, its part of his job......he isn't calling Rothfield saying "hey Phil, Lets discuss my contract"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8