Manly ... or the Dogs?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This needs to happen in my opinion. I think it would be beneficial if taupau comes off the bench. He would still be our number 2 prop, the leader when AFB is off. Let jake and take the brunt off the first stint and let taupau come on fresh and wreak havoc. Siro and haumole in the backrow.. possibly schuster at lock or bring someone in of the ballplaying mould
Absolutely

Just an observation
The players Des is selecting in certain positions have limited abilty, so to a degree, they are limited to the slow, predictable footy we have been enduring game after game....but maybe this is their peak ability and Des is getting just about the best out of them.

Now if there was the opportunity to bring in players - young , old , whatever ....who have huge abilty allowing you to coach them to possibly a far higher level....it would seem a no brainer.
Funny how other teams can see the benefit in elevating the young, fast, energetic players who are perfect in the ultra high tempo, of the modern game.
Guocamole hopefully done enough to show it CAN work and there are players in our weakest positions waiting to show their abilties...
That's my belief as well. We are hamstrung a lot by the lack of pace of this side available. Last year we relied on the impact of two fast dummy halves (Especially Fainu), on top of Tommy Trbo when he played. This year we don't have that pace seemingly anywhere. I noticed tonight that some runs of Keppie, Boyle and especially Olakautau generated some speed. Then there was that run by Suli in the last quarter of the game where he brought crazy energy to our attack for the next minute or two.

We just need our backs to step up as much as they can over these next few weeks until Trbo is back and hopefully along with some returns we could generate speed. Injections of young players such as Funa, Olakautau, Cust and hopefully Albert Hopoate/Schuster over the next few weeks will be huge.

If there is a good reason why Des isn't giving our youngsters a go then let's hear it.
It seems to me that Des is standing on his record to keep us from examining it.

What is it with Suli getting bagged. WTF.....he played strong & was damaging in his runs. One of the better players along with Olakau’atu, Funa, Marty before taken off, Paseka!!!!!!!!!!!!

TBH I can recall Suli doing 2 things tonight. His try, and for once putting Garrick down the wing with a nice pass.

And they were both in the first 30 or so minutes.

Other than that, what did he really do? Even in the back end of the game when we needed his runs, it was left to Jorge, Garrick, Elliot and even Funa to do early tackle hit ups because Moses was nowhere to be seen.

Olakau'atu, Paseka and Funa were our best tonight. Other than Cust, Marty until he went off, and maybe DCE and Reubs with his goal kicking (which was good tonight) ... the rest didn't have a night to write home about.

The reality is that the Warriors weren't all that good, but for the most part we made them look better than they were. A better team would have done them over in that game.

My ideal team for 2021 if no additions and no losses

Tom Trbojevic
Hopoate
Walker
Funa
Suli
Cust
DCE
Taupau
Fainu
AFB
Jake Trbojevic
Sironen
Schuster

Olakau'atu
Paseka
Keppie
Metcalfe
My ideal team...
Trbojevic
Hopoate
Funa
Trbojevic
Koula
Schuster
Cust
AFB
Fainu
Taupau
Olakau'atu
Sironen
Trbojevic
Birt
Tuitavake
Fainu
Saddler

Yep it’s tough mate. I get it for sure. Sucks to see these lame losses. However, I’m in a good space now as I’ve moved beyond the reality that we will win anything this year. And tbh who gives a s*** anyway it’s a season with an asterisk now - if it even finishes with all these dummies out and about. Yes that’s you Wayne you geriatric Clint Eastwood try hard!. I am on board with trying sone players tho. Liked what I saw frm the young backrower tonite. I’m not going to bag players like Elliot and co tho, what’s the point? We are paying that guy like 200k a year tops? I mean Tom, dce and co stuff up as well. It’s just easier to bag the duds sometimes. Who we got next week, knights? Well grad sone beers, cheer em in and let’s hope we get tge W to give us a finals sniff.
Love this buddy.....

the dogs had salary issues that affected the roster. As do we
Cherry worth 750 k
Tom not enough games
Jake prop , playing first receiver because no one else wants the ball that often. There is literally no one else to give it too

This hinders our game and our abilty to change it

Fainu is the missing link but he has become so pivitol to run this team based on his skillset there is nothing else but toms desire to make it happen. And this was before fainu he even cemented a first grade spot
Cherry needs the hooker,
Cherry needs a foil at 6
Cherry needs the pack going forward
Cherry needs help
Cherry needs to understand his contract and possibly toms hammys are manlys issue

He needs to be emotionally retired or he needs his contract cut by 500k or we will still be wondering whats doing in 2023

We need a game , we dont have one besides resilliance and hope

My ideal team...
Trbojevic
Hopoate
Funa
Trbojevic
Koula
Schuster
Cust
AFB
Fainu
Taupau
Olakau'atu
Sironen
Trbojevic
Birt
Tuitavake
Fainu
Saddler
There would be no excuses for not knowing the team song with that team. Only four non juniors there!!

What’s your take on Birt Joe?

Siua Fotu what’s your thoughts with him?

TBH I can recall Suli doing 2 things tonight. His try, and for once putting Garrick down the wing with a nice pass.

And they were both in the first 30 or so minutes.

Other than that, what did he really do? Even in the back end of the game when we needed his runs, it was left to Jorge, Garrick, Elliot and even Funa to do early tackle hit ups because Moses was nowhere to be seen.

Olakau'atu, Paseka and Funa were our best tonight. Other than Cust, Marty until he went off, and maybe DCE and Reubs with his goal kicking (which was good tonight) ... the rest didn't have a night to write home about.

The reality is that the Warriors weren't all that good, but for the most part we made them look better than they were. A better team would have done them over in that game.
100% spot on mate , but Suli did 1 other massive charge up the guts, that created momentum and scored off that set.....but your right - ffs get involved more and I get what your saying and all very true
The rest is spot on imo

My ideal team...
Trbojevic
Hopoate
Funa
Trbojevic
Koula
Schuster
Cust
AFB
Fainu
Taupau
Olakau'atu
Sironen
Trbojevic
Birt
Tuitavake
Fainu
Saddler

Interesting selection and other than not having DCE, I like it. There are so many calling for Cust at 5/8 I've tended to drop off calling for Schuster there, though I suspect he'll be a sensation. Burbo could be ready by next year. Hope so because we need pace and size in that backline.

Interesting selection and other than not having DCE, I like it. There are so many calling for Cust at 5/8 I've tended to drop off calling for Schuster there, though I suspect he'll be a sensation. Burbo could be ready by next year. Hope so because we need pace and size in that backline.
I think schuster will end up in the forwards down the track anyway. Is a big body. Imo we should stick with cust and explore other options for schuey

I am old .. and confused ... I thought Silvertails was a "NO EXCUSES" zone ....

I think schuster will end up in the forwards down the track anyway. Is a big body. Imo we should stick with cust and explore other options for schuey

I understand the reasoning, especially if Cust thrives. But Schuster is a ball player first and foremost, and I dont mean of the Glenn Stewart/Jake Trbojevic type. From what I've seen he is much more skilful in that aspect of his game than those two players, though obviously they are much more effective close to the ruck. And Manly's side at present desperately needs a good ball player.

It would be a serious waste of his talent having him taking on the grunt work of the forwards, where defence requirements would sap his effectiveness, just as it is presently doing to DCE. If he was to be a forward, it would have to be lock and with a roving commission like Menzies, though I doubt he would have Menzies pace (Menzies I believe started off as a centre in his junior days).

Schuster reminds me of a combination of elements of Wally Lewis and Cliff Lyons, both players 5/8s though Wally also played lock. Not suggesting at this stage that he will reach those heights, only referring to the skill set I've seen so far. It was one of the reasons Schuster was moved from a forward role early on in his junior days and made 5/8 and captain of his side, and he then apparently became far more effective.

Last edited:
I understand the reasoning, especially if Cust thrives. But Schuster is a ball player first and foremost, and I dont mean of the Glenn Stewart/Jake Trbojevic type. From what I've seen he is much more skilful in that aspect of his game than those two players, though obviously they are much more effective close to the ruck. And Manly's side at present desperately needs a good ball player.

It would be a serious waste of his talent having him taking on the grunt work of the forwards, where defence requirements would sap his effectiveness, just as it is presently doing to DCE. If he was to be a forward, it would have to be lock and with a roving commission like Menzies, though I doubt he would have Menzies pace (Menzies I believe started off as a centre in his junior days).

Schuster reminds me of a combination of elements of Wally Lewis and Cliff Lyons, both players 5/8s though Wally also played lock. Not suggesting at this stage that he will reach those heights, only referring to the skill set I've seen so far. It was one of the reasons Schuster was moved from a forward role early on in his junior days and made 5/8 and captain of his side, and he then apparently became far more effective.
Fair points. But if schuster is truly a threat, side's will target him no matter where he is defending. Like they do DCE. At least in the middle he can't be isolated as easily. I think he would excel in the middle third.. being that link between forwards and backs. Short balls for props, inside balls for tom. First receiver off the ruck like jake does at the moment but with footwork. Is more likely to make something happen whether its run or a face ball etc. Has the full kit

Fair points. But if schuster is truly a threat, side's will target him no matter where he is defending. Like they do DCE. At least in the middle he can't be isolated as easily. I think he would excel in the middle third.. being that link between forwards and backs. Short balls for props, inside balls for tom. First receiver off the ruck like jake does at the moment but with footwork. Is more likely to make something happen whether its run or a face ball etc. Has the full kit

What I've seen of him playing, and its not a huge amount, he thrives with space, somewhat like Lyons. He confuses the opposition with sleight of hand and they are not sure where and when he'll pass or if he will dummy and run through. He was close to the top try scorer in the junior side and yet he created many as well. But you need space for that. Lyons needed space, Lewis (who wasn't small either) needed space. Being third man out from hooker, half to 5/8 creates that space and allows him to create space for those outside of him, and that distribution ability is the key to his success. He would be far less effective if crowded in the middle of he ruck.

What I've seen of him playing, and its not a huge amount, he thrives with space, somewhat like Lyons. He confuses the opposition with sleight of hand and they are not sure where and when he'll pass or if he will dummy and run through. He was close to the top try scorer in the junior side and yet he created many as well. But you need space for that. Lyons needed space, Lewis (who wasn't small either) needed space. Being third man out from hooker, half to 5/8 creates that space and allows him to create space for those outside of him, and that distribution ability is the key to his success. He would be far less effective if crowded in the middle of he ruck.
Again good points.. it is a matter of fitting him in somewhere. Cust is showing promise also

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2