Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Yes that’s the bonus with that one , it tastes like a 10 year old wine.

Don’t worry mate with a 240 bottle wine fridge built into my new house that’s just the budget lines I like.

I just bought 2 bottles of St Henri Shiraz and a 407 Cab Sav to store for a few years ( my 70th coming up in 3 years ).

Whilst I have a few bottles ( 3 ) of Grange and 1 Henschke Hill of Grace stored away now I’m retired I don’t have the income to buy $750 bottles of wine so the 3 above ( costing $390) was a real splurge for me currently.
If you are drinking the wine now, budget ones are the only way to go ! The more expensive ones need to sit down for as long as possible, as I'm sure you are aware !

The Penn family took over after the end of the 2014 season. More than 12 months after the last Manly GF appearance. 2014 was of course the last year in a 10 year run of finals’ appearances.

Since they took over, the firsts have only made the finals on three occasions.

Tends to blow a solid chunk of your theory out of the water, Quick from Meensland.
Ok fair enuff. It is all the Penn's fault. Pitchforks and burning torches back to headquaters.

the 'mudia' were happy to trawl insta posts for negative headlines re: Manly (eg: the supposed Taupau tantrum regarding not being passed the ball) - any takers on the the media reporting on Josh's, Garricks, and others insta posts putting the players in a positive light?

A photo commissioned and published by the club will never be anything else.
A wisecrack by Aloiai is really just **** stirring.
I would love it if they all got on famously but I'd much prefer to see that on the field rather than in a posed photo on awards night.
Show me the wins!!!!

This is the 3rd time Dessie has been embroiled in exactly the same scenario ... in your opinion .. is he just unlucky ... or do you think he is a major contributor to the unrest ?
To call it out and keep in mind I am a Des fan, he definitely is a power hungry man.....I see a good thing here in the sense he is an ultra competitor and giving him full Autonomy, makes him accountable, but the "my way or highway" also can hinder improvement, as an observation we need more support with a modern edge as we look 3-4 years behind every current trend that wins footy games and you don't make up the ground by doing the same things the following week - month - year.
I feel it was a major part of the 2011 debacle and has come back to bite him a few times since including at the Dogs....in saying this, there are a few snakes around the cracks that are a big part of the current situation and in actual fact, Des is a more humbled character than the 2011 model, but it's still a big storm in a very big teacup that he is swimming in.

I have admired what Des has achieved in the past and always will

But his teams predictable selections and game plans have become what his team has become
So you want Des to change the team line up each week? Do other clubs change their teams lie up every week? Look at any other team & they’re all predictable as to who plays…..the fact Des seems to avoid blooding youngsters is another matter. Over the past few years he’s introduced Olakau’atu, Koula, Tuipulotu, Saab, Schuster, Weekes etc. so to say he doesn’t is a bit rich I think?

My wish after the review is everyone to be just be HONEST. Then share with everyone including us supporters.

simple things like - where are we with the salary cap - how are they going to have real player engagement - what is the plan moving forward - are we targeting anybody and if so what positions

from a coaching perspective Des needs to find a way to make players accountable each week

the fact Des seems to avoid blooding youngsters is another matter. Over the past few years he’s introduced Olakau’atu, Koula, Tuipulotu, Saab, Schuster, Weekes etc. so to say he doesn’t is a bit rich I think?
In my view this is one of the biggest Hasler myths. It's true he decides before the season what his strongest team will be and in deciding this, he does value first grade experience. Then he'll back his judgment and give those players every chance to succeed. He understands the advantages of team stability (which apparently is borne out by stats I read once)(forget where).

But he does develop young players, and he does play them in 1st grade when he judges they are ready. Foran, Buhrer, Wolfman, plenty of examples. But he definitely won't throw a young talent in 'just to see how they go', which is a criticism some here make, but personally I think making young players earn first grade is a good thing. For one it probably makes them value it more.
And of course the other factor these days is that development of young players stalled a bit over the past few years due to covid.

This is the 3rd time Dessie has been embroiled in exactly the same scenario ... in your opinion .. is he just unlucky ... or do you think he is a major contributor to the unrest ?
Control freak and a BIG contributor to our failures.

Our defence is shocking and that is TOTALLY on him. Defence is attitude and it's his job to get the players to have the mongrel or attitude we need. I love watching teams attack with defence. We used to do that but now we are pussy cats.

You can be a control freak if you're delivering great results but he ain't

He didn't deliver in the last few years at the dogs and outside of a freak season from Turbo he isn't here.

If he can't see he needs help and needs to change then he needs to go. Simple.

I reckon he has our dopey owners and the dopey ****s in the front office bluffed & scared and as a result the club is ****ed and can't move forward.

You know very well who appointed the proven coach feathered friend and at the time he was our best option
Yeah, but what about the children? They shouldn't be allowed to watch Manly play. Watching Manly play was an R rated horror show.

So you want Des to change the team line up each week? Do other clubs change their teams lie up every week? Look at any other team & they’re all predictable as to who plays…..the fact Des seems to avoid blooding youngsters is another matter. Over the past few years he’s introduced Olakau’atu, Koula, Tuipulotu, Saab, Schuster, Weekes etc. so to say he doesn’t is a bit rich I think?
Where did I say Des should make changes every week ?

Des finally introduces talented young players into our underperforming teams after those underperforming players get injured

The front office is not our front line of defence on the field

The Front office does not miss our tackles , drop our balls , throw froward passes put kicks out on the full and bomb tires
"
The front office does not keep selecting the same underperforming players and set our ineffective game plans

The front office have their issues and have to raise the bar off the field

and the football department need to raise the bar on the field

And Yes we need an upgrade to our playing roster
Cancer isn't always visible yet it can eat away from within causing all else to fail over time.

Yes, the front office is not on the park but everything they get right or in our case WRONG affects every aspect of our performance.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8