Manly can now afford to keep Darcy Lussick and Matt Ballin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Tony Williams' decision to leave Manly at season's end could have a silver lining for the Sea Eagles as the premier fights to retain front-rower Darcy Lussick and hooker Matt Ballin.

Read the full article

Good news if we can keep all but t-rex and wolfie. It might also derail the dogs season if they are now shopping around a number of their players to make room for t-rex.

Interesting about Lussick. If he stays he'll still be knocking back more dollars than probably you or I would. Hopefully people can get off his back ... unless of course he does go to the Eels than by all means stick the boot in! ;)

That would be an awesome result if this happens. I had already resigned myself to losing Lussick.

But this is just a fluff piece so I wouldn't give much weight to it. It doesn't even quote "a source close to the club".

If it was any club other than the Eels you would think we would be struggling to keep him ...but seriously who would go there at the moment.....majority of players on their books will probably never see another NRL contract. Its like death row going there. Managers/players know that so they have to pay massive overs to get anyone.

If lussick stays it will be party because he's not read the fan vitriole on this site. :)

Manly management - whose heads were wanted on spikes not so long ago - have done a job so far, in retaining players, that has exceeded most, normallyl optimistic outlooks - and all with a rookie coach. Sterling work and they deserve some credit.

What most of us may not have realised is how tight the lads are - but of course that is essential in any memorable, medal wearing team.

Unlike those over at the Scumdog$ who would be looking over their shoulders wondering "which of us has to go to get the T-Dog"....and as an aside I really can't wait for them to implode, as they will (although may take a few years) with two stong willed people as in De$ and Greenturd at the helm...it's a recipe for disaster!!

Hope its true for both Ballin and Lussick to stay.

Ballin is seriously central to our success, and would be very hard to replace in my view.

Lussick is far from the finished product, but he will almost certainly become that over the next few years as he works with our other established but older front rowers.

From talking to Lussick and Wolfman at the Fan Day, I got the distinct impression they both haven't signed elsewhere - yet. Wolfman is still hoping to stay at Manly (and I hope so too).

patorick2010 said:
swoop said:
The eels will be spewing if we hang on to Lussick.

Especially if what they're reportedly offering is somewhat true.

If - I am sure we were probably offering it and we would have paid it if Foran had left. Whether we have or had it, who knows.

I am told there are a few of dodgy offers made these days to make the rival club pay overs. I reckon the Dogs weren't ever going to pay Foran $700k - but by making out they were we had to go to the $650k. Manly might have got some back through their TRex offer.

Foran is worth about 50% of that contract amount. I'd be surprised if it WERE that amount (and I know reports said it was). If he is getting $650k per season, then we are getting burgled. Absolutely NO WAY he's getting Thurston type money.

Also, I'd reckon it's 300k odd, with third party deals somewhere.

I disagree with that to an extent Ryan

I agree that the type of figure mentioned there is for the elite only, but I would class Foran as a tier 2 type player worth 450+. 300k would be massive unders when blokes like Beau Scott are rumored to be signing for 400 and Lussick rumored to have high 200 offers

Yeah you're probably right there Ryan. I fail to see how anyone can be paying players over 500k with the current salary cap. The newspaper figures are just more made up **** as no one would be disclosing the true contract figures.

Kiwi Eagle said:
I disagree with that to an extent Ryan

I agree that the type of figure mentioned there is for the elite only, but I would class Foran as a tier 2 type player worth 450+. 300k would be massive unders when blokes like Beau Scott are rumored to be signing for 400 and Lussick rumored to have high 200 offers

I love the Foran / DCE chemistry, don't get me wrong, and maybe technical coach can help me out here, but it seems to me the game has kind of worked Foran out.

I can't think of one magical thing he has done this season (and I know he's been out most of the time).

Other 650k players like Inglis, Thurston, Slater & co. can single handedly tear a team apart. If he's getting paid that (and I only realised his cap hit tonight after investigation) my expectations for him are, and will be immense.

Didn't he lose his test spot to Shaun Johnson? For 650k, I want a (at a minimum) a test player - I consider origin much harder to break than the Aussie team, and I know they are Kiwi's.

He's not THAT much better than bottom tiered Liam. Better, yeah. Not 600k better.

Johnson only got picked because Foran was injured

No doubt in my mind he would have already played origin if eligible

I have sensed for some time, that you have a Toovey type beef with K Foran, am I wrong in assuming that ?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2