Manly a victim of no junior success

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
I think part of the failure of this teams squad is the lack of juniors this club has had. Other than the 2015 Holden Cup squad, I can't even remember when a Manly NSW cup or Holden Cup team made even the top eight.
This neglect has partly caused this predicament. Because there are no juniors to develop, ageing players break down quickly, plus the limited budget, Manly has been forced to buy washed up players or players who might have had a good year or two and have not adjusted to the pace of the 2017 game. Rival clubs have delighted in letting them go.
Hence you get Lewis Brown, Nate Myles, Api Korisau, Curtis Sironen, Frank Winterstein, Matthew Wright, Dylan Walker, Brake Green, and rubbish like that.
Just look at how slow the play the balls were yesterdays and how slow these players are in general. I was screaming at them all afternoon I could not believe how sad and slow they were. Even Souths look pedestrian against what most other teams has shown.
Add to that a coach who creates a non running dummy half and no concept of game speed and you have a recipe for disaster which is Manly 2017.
NYEagle

In September 2015, we literally through out the baby with the bath water and dismissed a coach who turned ****e to gold and we let go the majority of the team that got us to that grand final. It is one of the biggest clangers of the Fulton clean out and it has put us behind in our development of producing first graders, compare this to the Riff who have blooded their youngsters and now have a team that will go close to winning the comp in the next few years. This year we have some promising kids coming through and it is vital that we retain the bulk of them and get them ready for future first grade. We should cut the dead wood and get in some quality imports to compliment the young players. Hopefully sooner rather than later we will get a final decision on Snake and Skivvy so we can buy in the players we need. Our problem right now is going to be in attracting quality players when it is obvious that our coaching staff is struggling. Players want stability and re-assurance, something we have not had since 2014.

Manly haven't had any Juniors since the NE days.
Stewarts, Lyon, Matai, Kite, BK, Robbo were needed to bolster King and Beaver.

The annual roster clear out, two years in a row now, can not build the next core group in 12 months.:cool:

Chez and Turbo are not enough regulars for the backs and we need some stability to help Jake and Darcy in the forwards.

Reliable Goal kicker has been missing for years. Killer came through in the finals but the last 2 years were lean years indeed during the regular season :cool:

Can't wait for Darcy to come back :nod:

Even in the " Glory Days" we didn't have that many juniors.

We've always had to buy in players.

Started in the 70's and hasn't really stopped!

Lussick bros.,Trbojevic bros.,Bainbridge,Parker,Jamil Hopoate.We developed and can claim DCE,Schuster,T.Wright.We are about average for us,some good young juniors there and some good current players....Guys like JWH,,Gutherson,Knight gone for various reasons yeah,but that is about norm for us I believe.

Premiership junior numbers
72- 3
73-4
76-8
78-8
96-6
08-3
11-3
Includes reserves.

Last edited:
Nice theory, but how do you explain that Melbourne have virtually no juniors yet they are the best performed team over the past decade?

Nice theory, but how do you explain that Melbourne have virtually no juniors yet they are the best performed team over the past decade?
Huh? They have used the same Brisbane Souths feeder Club for years

But no great inroads from the Melbourne locals

What is your definition ? Local kid or one that has come through the ranks?
Definitely local.
No kieran foran although he did play for Asquith he junior repped for us.
Same Kosef and the Stewart's you could argue but pure local.

Definitely local.
No kieran foran although he did play for Asquith he junior repped for us.
Same Kosef and the Stewart's you could argue but pure local.
Fair enough

In not sure that is as relevant these days considering some kids are with the club from a very young age

Fair enough

In not sure that is as relevant these days considering some kids are with the club from a very young age
No probably not.
The whole system has changed.
I'll bet the rorters class central coast juniors as their own where as our arrangement with Blacktown has them recognised as the riff juniors.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
I think part of the failure of this teams squad is the lack of juniors this club has had. Other than the 2015 Holden Cup squad, I can't even remember when a Manly NSW cup or Holden Cup team made even the top eight.
This neglect has partly caused this predicament. Because there are no juniors to develop, ageing players break down quickly, plus the limited budget, Manly has been forced to buy washed up players or players who might have had a good year or two and have not adjusted to the pace of the 2017 game. Rival clubs have delighted in letting them go.
Hence you get Lewis Brown, Nate Myles, Api Korisau, Curtis Sironen, Frank Winterstein, Matthew Wright, Dylan Walker, Brake Green, and rubbish like that.
Just look at how slow the play the balls were yesterdays and how slow these players are in general. I was screaming at them all afternoon I could not believe how sad and slow they were. Even Souths look pedestrian against what most other teams has shown.
Add to that a coach who creates a non running dummy half and no concept of game speed and you have a recipe for disaster which is Manly 2017.
NYEagle

I think we will always be a club that poaches talent intead of producing through the ranks, there is only ever a couple of players that make it all the way. If only we threw gutho in to the no. 6 for us instead of washed up green hes **** and his stats show it . I don't get why we signed half the players that we did honestly they're gap fillers not long term potential.

The Big League programmes during his 1978-79 Manly stint, listed him as a local junior, under the 13 import rule.

In other words he had to have played at least two years in the district juniors, from the age of 15 onwards.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8