Manly 3/4 line slow - Impact scoring points...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Just noticed a few fans claim that the Manly outside backs are slow in recent times and thought it deserved it's own thread, to give and get opinions.
Firstly there is truth to the claim....but I don't feel this will stop the Manly team piling on plenty of points out wide.

Tafua IS close to the slowest winger, but has upsize with power charges, improved hands and better options with the old rushing in defensively, yet still intimidating the opposition with good reason.
Parker IS a slow centre, close to the average backrower in speed, but up with the best defensive NRL centres and plays with great intensity and is a handful in the opposition 20m, running great hard lines.
Suli does not have the acceleration to burn his opposite, but can wind up after stomping over 1-2 defenders and when weight drops - reasonable pace.
Garrick is no Addo Carr in speed, but a great athlete, but still above average - about 7/10 for a winger, which is pretty good.
All round it's undeniable that this is a Slow 3/4 line but -

• The fullback Turbo is up with the fastest 1's in the game
  • The Manly halves are arguably the fastest halves combination in the game
  • Most tries are not scored from close range, not long range

More importantly - the game is won by owning that middle and then even these slower backs will create space, opportunities and score points.
Due to the fact Manly have imo, the most powerful go forward in the game, this suddenly changes the opposition defensive shape and presto, these outside backs suddenly begin to make line breaks as the defence back peddles and loses control of numbers.

Before a ball is kicked - The defence line starts a solid 70m structure for both teams, till gates are created starting inside to outside....
Before considering the FAST outside backs its a case of softening up the middle and edges, once these gates are created the opportunity to attack wide has been earned and will be far more rewarding.
To throw in an addition to a Power game and to maximize the win in the middle, is a FAST dummy half, this is why Fainu was so damaging and took advantage of the rampant go forward in 2019 and I have suspicions Levi will offer similar value.

I think the Manly backs with today's lineup (NO Schuster, Hoppa, Funa ect), will still be dangerous, regardless of the speed factor
If it was a 4 way relay of outside backs (2-5), we would likely run last, but it's a game of footy and this will allow the Manly 3/4 to be up with the more dangerous teams imo....thoughts ??

We have enough speed to score points. Its was poor options particularly last tackle options that let us down in Rounds 1 & 2. Lets not forget that the Storm and the Rorters were allowed to lay all over us in the ruck and kill all momentum. This squad is good enough to go all the way.

Manly have imo, the most powerful go forward in the game,
I'd say we are one of about the top 6 or so
To throw in an addition to a Power game and to maximize the win in the middle, is a FAST dummy half, this is why Fainu was so damaging and took advantage of the rampant go forward in 2019 and I have suspicions Levi will offer similar value.
Fainu's danger was not due to being a fast dummy half, it was due to being 'fast between the ears'. He had excellent vision and attacking instincts, he was elusive and also had exceptional strength. Koroisau and Levi are both possibly faster, yet last year it was clear we were more dangerous with Fainu at dummy half despite Api's speed (and despite he is a good player).
Levi will be a key for us, no doubt. He can't try to be a Fainu, he just has to be fit and solid and staunch in defence, we'll just have to make up the attack in other areas.

Oh yeah, as for slow backs, I think we have enough speed and power there to score enough points. Will be very interested to see Funa and Hoppa get a run as the season goes on.

I'd say we are one of about the top 6 or so

Fainu's danger was not due to being a fast dummy half, it was due to being 'fast between the ears'. He had excellent vision and attacking instincts, he was elusive and also had exceptional strength. Koroisau and Levi are both possibly faster, yet last year it was clear we were more dangerous with Fainu at dummy half despite Api's speed (and despite he is a good player).
Levi will be a key for us, no doubt. He can't try to be a Fainu, he just has to be fit and solid and staunch in defence, we'll just have to make up the attack in other areas.
Agree fast between the ears but don't estimate his pace, was a junior rep halfback who could score from long range

Agree fast between the ears but don't estimate his pace, was a junior rep halfback who could score from long range
Agreed, I would be surprised if Api or Levi could beat him over 40m.

Jorge is the one that worries me. Did someone just suggest he is the slowest outside back in the game? Because it's rather possible.

To be fair Jorge had an ok 2019 and he certainly improved in a number of his weak areas like never before. His defence at times was outstanding.

But his lack of pace also opened the door for the opposition, when a winger in particular is not just slowing down, but is at Jorges pace, I think there is always going to be that question mark over his place in the side.

Jorge is the one that worries me. Did someone just suggest he is the slowest outside back in the game? Because it's rather possible.

To be fair Jorge had an ok 2019 and he certainly improved in a number of his weak areas like never before. His defence at times was outstanding.

But his lack of pace also opened the door for the opposition, when a winger in particular is not just slowing down, but is at Jorges pace, I think there is always going to be that question mark over his place in the side.
I thinks it's a very true call and high chance of being right regarding Jorge's pace Double Hoops...
A real fan favourite and rightly so, I personally reckon he has been safer both catching kicks and holding possession and does not rush in EVERY time like he once did....
But the fact remains he will get caught out at times, especially kicks behind him to turn and chase, but I confess to being a Jorge fan, as he is whole hearted and entertaining - especially those BIG hits....in saying this would be dumb not to consider young Hoppa once finally full fit as he has basically everything, but needs to string a few games together after Serious injuries to prove himself...which is all the tougher with no reserve grade games...

You are right it is up with the slowest outside 4 in the comp but Id say they are up there as the most powerful outside 4 in the comp. We all know how powerful Taufua and Suli are.
Parker gets our sets off to a flying start and fights tooth and nail for a quick play the ball.
Garrick needs to improve in this area but from all reports it is one of the big things he has been working on.
When you add Chez, Walker and Turbo our backline as a whole has enough speed and power to be an attacking force

Agree, we had this backline in 2018 (round 2):

01. Tom Trbojevic (same)
02. Jorge Taufua (same)
03. Brad Parker (same)
04. Brian Kelly (not the quickest either)
05. Akuila Uate (probably on par with Garrick)

and we dusted the Eels 54-0 that day.

As others have said, Matai wasn't the fastest, but possibly one of the best centres in the game. Comes down to defensive reads, hole running, systems (and we have one of the best tacticians in the game in Dessie), along with a raft of other veterans like Monas, Randall, Ballin, Stewart.

Mightn’t be the fastest but reckon they’ll do a job for us.

I do worry about Jorge but in Des we Trust!!

@The Wheel

Yeah I know , I’ve crossed over haven’t I!!!!

Might be slow but i am personally not overly concerned. They are tougher than most teams which evens it out.

I'm pretty happy with our complete backline until someone can actually force any of them out.

I'd like a better 6 before i'd replace any of the others.
I'm still hoping Walker comes good.

I'm pretty happy with our complete backline until someone can actually force any of them out.

I'd like a better 6 before i'd replace any of the others.
I'm still hoping Walker comes good.
Geez Walker looked pretty good in the Roosters game... kicked well, ran to the line and pulled off some good cover tackles too... I'm actually getting excited about him at 6 (never thought I'd say that!)

True. But comparing our current centres to greats like Lyon and Matai is tragic.
Manly has 'always' had speedy and skilful outside backs. Our current crop are solid but certainly not evasive.
Agree Parker is no Lyon and Suli is no Matai
Comparing on speed only

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8