MANLY 1978 Season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They only had the gold emblem for two seasons. In 1980 they went with the white background with the maroon-trimmed roundel, with ‘Sea Eagles’ on top (inside the roundel) and ‘Manly-Warringah’ below.

From 1979-82, ‘Stereo’ joined ‘Pioneer’ on the front of the jersey.

img_0771.jpg

I wonder why the club gave up the gold in 1980. It was a good look imo.

Was some gold in the 1996 badge too.
images

Last edited:
06-Sep-1978. A crowd of 42,678 on a Wednesday work day afternoon! Vague recollection it was school holidays.
It was, there was a train strike that day too as all the hordes of fans got buses or parked their cars near by to attend this game.

I remember it being a gloomy day, Ray Price punching Graham Eadie. That try that got us ahead and the penalty goal from Wombat that sealed the Whingers fate and I remember the ferry ride back to Manly, What a Day that was for an 11 year old!

I consider Manly's grand final win in1978 the greatest in their history. Two drawn matches, five games in 16 days, they were true gladiators in that team. Extraordinary win which hasnt been in my opinion equalled by any team for sheer guts and determination to win since I started watching in 1965. Took a day off work to see the last match when they conquered the Sharks, and the Sharks have never forgiven us since.

I consider Manly's grand final win in1978 the greatest in their history. Two drawn matches, five games in 16 days, they were true gladiators in that team. Extraordinary win which hasnt been in my opinion equalled by any team for sheer guts and determination to win since I started watching in 1965. Took a day off work to see the last match when they conquered the Sharks, and the Sharks have never forgiven us since.
A fitting climax to a heroic performance through the finals series that included an intense personal rivalry with a strong physical Wests side. For me it also went a long way to proving the world hadn't ended after Bozo left.
If I could change one thing it would have been seeing Johnny Gibbs get some time at the big dance - without begrudging Steve Martin who was more than deserving of his time there.

A fitting climax to a heroic performance through the finals series that included an intense personal rivalry with a strong physical Wests side. For me it also went a long way to proving the world hadn't ended after Bozo left.
If I could change one thing it would have been seeing Johnny Gibbs get some time at the big dance - without begrudging Steve Martin who was more than deserving of his time there.

T'was sad to see Gibbs suffering from that spate of injuries which virtually ended his short but stunning career. I recall them letting Martin go because of how good Gibbs was, despite Martin's outstanding efforts, but then Gibbs was virtually finished by then and Manly lost out both ways. He lasted until 1981 but was a shadow of the player he was in 1978 and before and spent a lot of time on the side-line through injury. For a time he even surpassed Steve Mortimer, in skill and explosive attack, and I had high regard for Mortimer's talents.

But I was awed by the never say die attitude of that grand final team that looked exhausted even before they took the field and still won easily. What a team

Eadie (toured)
Mooney
Gartner
Knight
Booth
Thompson (toured)
Martin (toured)
Randall
Walker (toured)
Harvey
Krillich (toured)
Thompson (toured)

Seven Manly players ( including Gibbs who missed the grand final) toured that year in the Frank Stanton coached Kangaroos, which also included Fulton (then playing for Easts) and Boustead, Boyd and Schubert, who later played for Manly. Cant recall but I think a couple of other Manly players werent considered through injury such as Randall and Harvey

T'was sad to see Gibbs suffering from that spate of injuries which virtually ended his short but stunning career. I recall them letting Martin go because of how good Gibbs was, despite Martin's outstanding efforts, but then Gibbs was virtually finished by then and Manly lost out both ways. He lasted until 1981 but was a shadow of the player he was in 1978 and before and spent a lot of time on the side-line through injury. For a time he even surpassed Steve Mortimer, in skill and explosive attack, and I had high regard for Mortimer's talents.

But I was awed by the never say die attitude of that grand final team that looked exhausted even before they took the field and still won easily. What a team

Eadie (toured)
Mooney
Gartner
Knight
Booth
Thompson (toured)
Martin (toured)
Randall
Walker (toured)
Harvey
Krillich (toured)
Thompson (toured)

Seven Manly players ( including Gibbs who missed the grand final) toured that year in the Frank Stanton coached Kangaroos, which also included Fulton (then playing for Easts) and Boustead, Boyd and Schubert, who later played for Manly. Cant recall but I think a couple of other Manly players werent considered through injury such as Randall and Harvey
Harvey selected but knocked it back I recall.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2