MANLY 1978 Season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Week 2 of the semis and what a week.
A draw against Parramatta the a midweek replay and a great come from behind victory. I was there. Jigged a HSC trial exam, didn't matter, I passed the final anyway.
Plus a last minute entrant .
003.jpg
009.jpg
018.jpg
028.jpg

Bravo @eagle66! What amazing memories. As a boy I collected all the RLW episodes and this brings back so many amazing memories.

This was an up and down season and half way through the team were big favourites to win and the last six weeks was make or break just to make the finals and the lose in week 1 made it so hard.

I was fortunate enough to see most of those big games and I remember the semi final replay on the Wednesday during the school holiday and there was a train strike with over 42,000 fans to see one of the most controversial games ever played.

The team were punch drunk and down and out in both our semi finals and showed amazing courage to repel a strong Whinger team. The replay especially was satisfying to watch as the team stormed all over the Whingers in the last 20 minutes to claim a famous win and from then on it was guts, courage, spirit belief and amazing skill that saw them sweep aside Wests and then deal with Cronulla after a replay.

Without a doubt in my book our toughest team and the 7 guys that made the Kangaroo tour showed you what an amazing side we had.

It was the climax of a decade of dominance, 4 premierships, 2 grand finals, final appearances every year in that era and Manly were the most feared team in Sydney.

For an Avalon resident aged 11 it was the most exciting time to see that season and I think it will always be my favourite one.

Thanks so much for compiling all this amazing history of our club during that season!

Bravo @eagle66! What amazing memories. As a boy I collected all the RLW episodes and this brings back so many amazing memories.

This was an up and down season and half way through the team were big favourites to win and the last six weeks was make or break just to make the finals and the lose in week 1 made it so hard.

I was fortunate enough to see most of those big games and I remember the semi final replay on the Wednesday during the school holiday and there was a train strike with over 42,000 fans to see one of the most controversial games ever played.

The team were punch drunk and down and out in both our semi finals and showed amazing courage to repel a strong Whinger team. The replay especially was satisfying to watch as the team stormed all over the Whingers in the last 20 minutes to claim a famous win and from then on it was guts, courage, spirit belief and amazing skill that saw them sweep aside Wests and then deal with Cronulla after a replay.

Without a doubt in my book our toughest team and the 7 guys that made the Kangaroo tour showed you what an amazing side we had.

It was the climax of a decade of dominance, 4 premierships, 2 grand finals, final appearances every year in that era and Manly were the most feared team in Sydney.

For an Avalon resident aged 11 it was the most exciting time to see that season and I think it will always be my favourite one.

Thanks so much for compiling all this amazing history of our club during that season!
Thanks @sheridanstand78. I have now got the semi final series out to watch this marvellous feat. Never before & never again.

Thanks very much for all that! Great memories of a great season! I wagged school (with thousands of other kids) to watch that '78 replay GF!

Have to give quite a bit of credit to Ken Arthurson [ arko ] for the 78 title as well for going out and recruiting some key players to get the Sea Eagles back into a serious premiership position However also terrific praise to the Manly i st grade squad that year , just not on the ability and class factor but that amazing will power and tenacity during that finals series , courage personified . [ Especially that come from behind win against the Eels in a mid week arvo final replay , really special ] ,

Great ball playing forward and hooker. He formed a lethal combo with Walker.

Saw him engulfed by Newtown defenders during a game at Brookie in 1979, only to somehow pop a pass, which from memory led to a try.

Time for a proper 1978 retro jersey I reckon! Loving the golden sea eagles badge!

If Manly ever has a third jersey/merch colour again, it should be gold and not blue.

They only had the gold emblem for two seasons. In 1980 they went with the white background with the maroon-trimmed roundel, with ‘Sea Eagles’ on top (inside the roundel) and ‘Manly-Warringah’ below.

From 1979-82, ‘Stereo’ joined ‘Pioneer’ on the front of the jersey.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4