Manase Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I had back to back knee recos and spent nearly 2 yrs off. When I came back from injury I remember thinking "holy ****" these boys hit hard, it actually hurts :) it took about 6 to 8 weeks back playing to feel comfortable again, it was more just getting used to the brutality of it again.

And that was just in the Chess league!

same with diving on grass, or catching a cricket ball after a long lay off. Both are easy if you do it often, but they bloody hurt once you get out of the habit.

(This just happened 10 mins before I read this)
Just like when you watch the old school karate kid with your 8 year old ,and then he starts trying to do the Myagi crane kicks .
Now I must say I haven't thought about pulling one of these out for AT LEAST 25 years ,
(Last time ,I remember it being easy and could snap one of head high at will)
Let me tell you ,when its gone ,its gone.I got roughly chest height and felt something tear.
Luckily it wasnt my nuts ,Not sure if I will make to work tomorrow now.
I love getting old.

Fainu could potentially be one of the two best hookers in the NRL.

Yes, he’s immature and makes mistakes outside of the game however, that just comes with his culture with the gang mentality with those he associates with. Not all islanders have a gang mentality and while they may support their ‘brothers’, even like Marty, most are not closely involved.

I think Fainu will greatly mature from this experience and appreciate how lucky he is with NRL and Manly..

Yes, as Technical Coach has pointed out, he does have deficiencies in his game however, they are deficiencies a good coach like Des, Ballin And Monas can iron out.

I think Fainu will be our hooker for 5 years or more, barring injury and several of his family will join him in our team.

Last edited:
At the end of the day for a majority of people Fainu was by far the better dummy half in 2019, gauged more importantly on seeing him first-hand. I agree we can talk in loops about stats but the reality is that Fainu outplayed Api to get the starting role, then Api was let go because we threw the eggs in Fainu's basket and banked on him not getting accused of a church stabbing (who would've thought). Even if Api stayed here had Fainu not been stood down, Fainu would still be the starting number 9 and for a good reason. As contrarian as some want to be when it comes to Fainu vs Api, this is the reality of the situation.

I also agree that tackle and miss-tackle stats are subjective and in my opinion aren't the be all and end all. For me it's more about their choices. With both Api and Fainu our middle was pretty secure so I don't think defence is a bragging point for either of them, nor is it a dwelling point. Attack is where it is at and Fainu was more direct, had better support and had a playmaking vision rather than Api who is a great attacking opportunist and good with second-phase play (as is Fainu). I hope we get Fainu back in 2021 because he is a significant individual toward the combinations and direction of our team as a whole, his game is very team-orientated.
"At the end of the day" (does this mean everything added after this commentary has no value and i need not reply or have an opinion)

Fainu had many things to his favour in 2019, a coach that was leaning towards him from the outset probably due to wanting to manage the cap for the future and Api coming back from i think a leg injury during the off season reduced his fitness levels along with confidence for a while.

Generally played shorter minutes and often starting against fresh hard running forwards and fresh defences, seemed more like he was compensating with high defensive work-rate and intensity to the detriment of his attack---also probably lacking general confidence and wanting to compensate elsewhere.

Never got the impression Des wanted Api around or rated him highly and this would of played on Api's mind for sure, but "obviously" Des has to plan ahead so have no gripes with him making a decision and sticking with it.

As i've mentioned several times it's not so much the attacking elements i have an issue with in relation to Fainu(although i do feel it is very exaggerated and his passing is nothing that stands out) it is his defence and the intensity of his work rate in defence---if that improves great we have a decent hooker---but we are still missing a large chunk of what is required from him.

In saying that with the faster game and less wrestle, cricket scores and attack taking priority maybe his output in attack compensates for his defensive deficiencies.

“Potentially”
“Could be”

Players don’t simply lose natural skill. And apart from his shoulder injury sidelining, he’s been training with the team.
Still worth it.

As the name you’ve chosen for yourself suggests, you like to feel as though your opinion carries more weight than others, unfortunately that’s simply not true.

Fainu is a star in the making.
What is the point of your post other than to say Fainu is still training with the team.

You have an opinion, i have an opinion---big deal.

To place this position of hooker on a 2-3yr pause based on "fulfilling potential" on a player who has been in the news probably too often to start with is showing a huge amount of patience i say.

To me Dessie sometimes overdoes the loyalty but i understand why he does it---for a variety of reasons.

Not so, it's just that I rate the opinion of the current NSW Blues coach (& all time Rugby League great) more credible than yours.

Hmmm i cant/wouldnt include the words fittler/ rugby league great in the same sentence. Good player in his day and annoying in commentary but thats bout it

Hmmm i cant/wouldnt include the words fittler/ rugby league great in the same sentence.
A difference of opinion :)

Here is a brief resume of his career

Fittler played first grade at age 18 for Penrith during his final year of highschool in 1989 & played in the 1990 GF & was then selected for Kangaroos. He won 2 Grand Finals, 1991 for Penrith & 2002 for Roosters. I think he is the youngest ever Blues debutante. He captained both New South Wales and Australia, and in 2000 was awarded the Golden Boot. He retired as the most-capped New South Wales State of Origin player, inducted into the NSWRL Hall of Fame as an Immortal and third-most-capped Australian international player. Fittler won two Rugby League World Cups as a team captain; he captained the Kangaroos to victory in both the 1995 and 2000 finals, and was also a member of the victorious 1992 team.

Brad Fittler is an annoying commentator but was a great player who certainly earned respect. He’s a decent coach and has done better at origin level than Bellamy. Opinions are objective and we are all entitled to them. Fainu is a talent but is wasted a for the time being at least. So Fainu could be anything only the future will tell. Predicting a footballers future is a little like weather forecasting.

A difference of opinion :)

Here is a brief resume of his career

Fittler played first grade at age 18 for Penrith during his final year of highschool in 1989 & played in the 1990 GF & was then selected for Kangaroos. He won 2 Grand Finals, 1991 for Penrith & 2002 for Roosters. I think he is the youngest ever Blues debutante. He captained both New South Wales and Australia, and in 2000 was awarded the Golden Boot. He retired as the most-capped New South Wales State of Origin player, inducted into the NSWRL Hall of Fame as an Immortal and third-most-capped Australian international player. Fittler won two Rugby League World Cups as a team captain; he captained the Kangaroos to victory in both the 1995 and 2000 finals, and was also a member of the victorious 1992 team.
And he almost became a Sea Eagle

I just think "great" and "legend" are thrown around wayyyyyy too easily these days. I mean jesus, some journo recently called mick ennis a "league legend"...so forgive me for not thinking fittler as a "league great", and pls no im not comparing the two lol

Brad Fittler is an annoying commentator but was a great player who certainly earned respect. He’s a decent coach and has done better at origin level than Bellamy. Opinions are objective and we are all entitled to them. Fainu is a talent but is wasted a for the time being at least. So Fainu could be anything only the future will tell. Predicting a footballers future is a little like weather forecasting.
OK, HOLD THE PHONE!! I’ve been trying to find a way to give my own posts a thumbs up for weeks....

I just think "great" and "legend" are thrown around wayyyyyy too easily these days. I mean jesus, some journo recently called mick ennis a "league legend"...so forgive me for not thinking fittler as a "league great", and pls no im not comparing the two lol
The most capped SOO player ever for NSW with 31 games, debuted as an 18 year old for Penrith, played in five grand finals, winning two. Captained his state, club and country. Played 40 tests, over 20 tour games and 330 odd NRL games.

Is not worthy of being called a great... Silvertails at its best.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4