Manase Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We're going to have to push very hard for a dispensation on the automatic standdown.
The only thing we have going is that Fainu's alleged offence was not against a female.
And that HO seems in the mood to be making all kinds of ad hoc revisions of rules and policies right now.
We'll find out tomorrow morning, fingers crossed, but the trial calender doesn't look hopeful. A colleague got a trial listed at Parra last week and it will take place in ... August 2021. Hopefully young Fainu gets something earlier than that.

It does raise an obvious question. If his trial is set for say next Oct / Nov, that says we are yet again without our 1st string hooker for yet again another season. With Des's "pick and tick" attitude I guess nothing changes here and you can see the team facing similar issues next year. However, if I was on the management side as a corporate business and had the interests of the team and the club at the forefront, why would I not cut Fainu loose now and go to market immediately for a replacement for next year? Fainu would have to take up circa $500k in the cap so that would be a reasonable amount to secure the likes of a Harry Grant, Brandon Smith etc.

Comes down to blind faith and loyalty (pick and stick?) V a smart TEAM decision. One penalises the team for another year while the other one significantly promotes the team and our chances for next year. Who is running the club?

It does raise an obvious question. If his trial is set for say next Oct / Nov, that says we are yet again without our 1st string hooker for yet again another season. With Des's "pick and tick" attitude I guess nothing changes here and you can see the team facing similar issues next year. However, if I was on the management side as a corporate business and had the interests of the team and the club at the forefront, why would I not cut Fainu loose now and go to market immediately for a replacement for next year? Fainu would have to take up circa $500k in the cap so that would be a reasonable amount to secure the likes of a Harry Grant, Brandon Smith etc.

Comes down to blind faith and loyalty (pick and stick?) V a smart TEAM decision. One penalises the team for another year while the other one significantly promotes the team and our chances for next year. Who is running the club?
The reason probably is he’s the best young 9 in the game and there is nothing of quality on offer I’d say. Club is confident he’ll be right next year and I suppose they are punting in that being correct as well.

This so-called 'no fault' rule was a Greenturd brain fart. Surely by now when PV and AA see how long it takes cases to come to court they will re-visit the rule.
It is simply unfair for anyone pleading not-guilty to have their livelihood put on hold for two years or more. Not only that, but from a pragmatic point of view, it is costing the NRL money to be paying the salaries of players caught up in the rule.
I've stated before my solution to the problem of a player being accused of a serious crime. Yes, it is a bad look for the sport, so have an automatic stand down for four matches. That is a sufficient initial punishment for a player professing their innocence. Then they should be allowed to resume playing until the court determines an outcome.
If the court rules they are innocent of the charge/s then that initial four-game ban will actually seem harsh, but it does send a message that just being involved in a serious allegation is worthy of some form of punishment.

This so-called 'no fault' rule was a Greenturd brain fart. Surely by now when PV and AA see how long it takes cases to come to court they will re-visit the rule.
It is simply unfair for anyone pleading not-guilty to have their livelihood put on hold for two years or more. Not only that, but from a pragmatic point of view, it is costing the NRL money to be paying the salaries of players caught up in the rule.
I've stated before my solution to the problem of a player being accused of a serious crime. Yes, it is a bad look for the sport, so have an automatic stand down for four matches. That is a sufficient initial punishment for a player professing their innocence. Then they should be allowed to resume playing until the court determines an outcome.
If the court rules they are innocent of the charge/s then that initial four-game ban will actually seem harsh, but it does send a message that just being involved in a serious allegation is worthy of some form of punishment.
Or they could make the player stood down exempt from the salary cap and squad numbers.

Point taken, BUT Manase imo is the most dangerous 9 in the comp, he has the unique mix of qualities of all the best dummy halfs and tore oppositions from the inside last year, hits well in D and is only just starting. IF he is innocent, and IF he misses at most another season (2021), then the club would be smart to support him. No one is indispensable, but if Manly are to win the comp in the next few years, our key is the turbo and manase combo

Trial set for July 21 2021 ..... Guess we need a new hooker @:(

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/liverpool-leader
Manase Fainu: Manly Sea Eagles star set for trial over church stabbing
Kate Lockley, Liverpool Leader
August 21, 2020 11:56am

Subscriber only
Manly Sea Eagles star Manase Fainu will stand trial after pleading not guilty to stabbing a man at a Mormon church dance.
A trial date for the 21-year-old rugby league gun was set down for July 2021 after he was arraigned on a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm on Friday.
Fainu appeared via video link with his defence solicitor at Parramatta District Court, dressed in a black suit and pleaded not guilty to the charge.
NRL player Manase Fainu leaves Parklea jail after receiving bail over the alleged church stabbing.

NRL player Manase Fainu leaves Parklea jail after receiving bail over the alleged church stabbing.
The talented hooker has been sidelined under the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy since his arrest in October last year after police allege he stabbed a 24-year-old man with a 10cm knife.

Police have accused Fainu of intentionally wounding the man during a brawl at a Wattle Grove church on October 25, leaving him with a punctured lung after allegedly stabbing him in the back.

MORE IN newslocal
A cloudy,Sunny start to Monday seen from Sydneys eastern suburbs .pic John Grainger

Here's what you can expect with today's Macarthur Camden weather
Here's what you can expect with today's Macarthur Camden weather

Couple Alana Dunn and Josh Anderson have been charged with allegedly dealing cocaine in Cronulla in June 2020. Thumbnail image only.

Loved-up couple charged over alleged coke deals
Loved-up couple charged over alleged coke deals

similars

The court heard Fainu would fight the charge on the grounds that he was not responsible for the stab wound.

“The issue is who occasions the wound, effectively,” solicitor Najee Makhoul said.

Fainu at an earlier court appearance. Picture: Seven News
Fainu at an earlier court appearance. Picture: Seven News
The Crown prosecutor estimates the trial could take up to three weeks and would be dependent on the number of defence witnesses called to give evidence.

Several other males have been charged over the melee, with three co-accuseds already sentenced in the local court on affray charges.

It was not yet known if the convicted men would be called for evidence.

Fainu has been stood down from the Sea Eagles, pending the outcome of next year’s trial. Picture: Brendon Thorne
Fainu has been stood down from the Sea Eagles, pending the outcome of next year’s trial. Picture: Brendon Thorne
The court also heard that the prosecution would rely strongly on witness evidence and CCTV footage during the trial.

Fainu remains on bail after spending two weeks at Parklea jail following his arrest last year.

His bail conditions have effectively placed him on house arrest and he is only allowed to leave the home with supervision from his parents.

Wow - Well his shoulder will be well and truly good to go by then.

Honestly though what do the club do? Do they go down the same path the Dragons have with JDB and effectively have cap space taken up for 2 years.

So July 20th 2021 and could take 3 weeks. At the earliest he is available early August, only weeks before the semis. Having not played for 2 years he would be a 20 minute impact player come semis time (if we get there) BUT we will definitely need a new #9 for next year....
What about this, re-sign Levi to start 20 mins a game, Cust to #14 playing the last 60. Buy Fox or Burton as a half

Surely we can do better than Levi now that we have more time to prepare?! Nothing personal against him, but he's weak as piss in defence, doesn't have the footy smarts, and really offers nothing out of what should be a focal point of our attack.

If we don't go to market I would be grooming Cust to be our 9 like Hunt at the dragons (as much as I love him at 6, we will have other options eg schuster walker and even easier to find a 6 elsewhere like a foran etc). A creative and strong 9 seems to be harder to find these days, and with such well-drilled defences, and 6-again rule, coaches realise the dummy half is crucial more than ever. If Levi is our 9 we will never be serious contenders

Honestly though what do the club do? Do they go down the same path the Dragons have with JDB and effectively have cap space taken up for 2 years.
Depends on whether the stand down rule can be changed. If this does happen, JDB would possibly try to sue the NRL for his time out of the game. If Manase is not able to play till after the trial, Smith or Grant would be the best options for 2021 (if there is any chance of signing them - move now before resigning Levi)

Edit: for the sake of clarity - B. Smith not C. Smith @:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7