Manase Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think in this case one needs to read between the lines so to speak and extrapolate

1. The trial is in July so a result will be known at that time
2.The No Fault scenario wont impact on him if he is found not guilty or the matter is dismissed through insufficient evidence. It may also happen that the policy will be dropped
3. Manly have extended Fainu's contract, knowing that if he is convicted he will face a few years imprisonment definitely

What I read here are two possibilities. The first and least likely is that the NRL will drop the No Fault policy. I don't think this will happen..at least not at this stage...and I don't think Manly are relying on this if they are buying Foran for a year to cover the spot with Cust.

The more likely possibility, and more like a probability, is that Manly officials know more about this case than we all do, and know or are very confident Fainu will not be convicted. Though Manly does make mistakes, they are run by business oriented people. They are not going to invest on a hunch, a gamble. They are not going to waste money on what seems to us such a maybe situation. No question about it. They know something we don't know and they are confident he'll walk.
And waste basically 2 seasons in waiting along with Fainu only having one season in first grade, it’s not like Fainu was even in the top 5 hookers in his first year to warrant such patience.

All the while a team like Canberra lose their first choice hooker and are one win away from another GF, seriously this is not a well thought out “hedge” bet that is for sure.

Not sure of the legal implications of signing a contract document with someone who is facing trial and a potential term of imprisonment. I guess it depends on the wording. Certainly if he was gaoled on an existing contract when the offence occurred after signing the contract, Manly would have cause for termination. He remains with Manly at present because he is meeting his obligations training etc. But Manly have extended his contract, albeit for less money when knowing he faces trial. I'm not sure where the law lies with such a situation and its unclear in normal RL contracts. An unusual scenario.
If he is gaoled he is in breach of contract with the NRL - bringing the game into disrepute and his contract is terminated. Manly do not need to honour it if he is found guilty.

The rule will have to be reviewed if de Belin is found not guilty. There will be such a public outcry about the NRL withholding employment for two years to an innocent player -- which is why the rule flies in the face of our judicial system of being innocent until proven otherwise.

jack won’t be back
And will get the sack
it’s the Gong culture that lacks
Full of big little men that causes flack
If you look for a place to start
Look at their behaviour at the harp
The Steelers alone didn’t produce a lot
But the blokes were footy players and you know what you got
These players just loved the game
And to play was more important than fane
Look at the dragons who infiltrated the team
The biggest knobs you have ever seen

And waste basically 2 seasons in waiting along with Fainu only having one season in first grade, it’s not like Fainu was even in the top 5 hookers in his first year to warrant such patience.

All the while a team like Canberra lose their first choice hooker and are one win away from another GF, seriously this is not a well thought out “hedge” bet that is for sure.
He was in the top 5 hookers in the competition - probably 5th granted. I think you greatly underestimate his ability.

Jamil was cut as soon as he was convicted from memory. Something about bringing the game into disrepute.

I had not considered the caveat as mentioned above regarding contractual agreements and the conditions included. In that I may be mistaken. However as pointed out Manly entered a contractual agreement after knowing of the pending trial. A contract preceding that incident, such as you are alluding to with Jamil, would probably have grounds for dismissal. A contract signed in full knowledge of that trial is a different proposition. On the surface of it unless there is a clause relating to that trial in his contract, Manly may well be bound to honour the contract. Not being a solicitor or knowing what the contract states I cannot say either way. But its an unusual case, and as I said it is not covered as far as I could read in normal RL contracts. If there is no such clause, Fainu could potentially sue if Manly seek to cancel to contract. Its further evidence that they know something we don't know about this case.

Remember, every contract must be registered with the NRL. Fainu’s extension would have been registered with the NRL even though he was currently stood down under the NFF rule. If he is found guilty, regardless of when the contract was signed, it is deemed a breach of contract and voided. Both parties would have signed with those conditions in place and an understanding of what constitutes a breach.

Probably would not have seen much of Fainu playing for Manly this season even if he was not subject to the stand down rule with his shoulder issues . . Really can not see much changing with the rule even if De Belin is acquitted . Maybe if Cust can muscle up a bit in defence and the Manly go forward with quick play the balls can be the norm , his good in step or quick respond 9 running could be quite effective . , while Fainu is still unavailable . Croker is just a pass as a bench 9 , not to say that Foz could not play as a 9 but still a big ask . does not seem to be much interest in Docker - Clay. Maybe there are some Shane Dunley or Monas types around in the N R L lower grades somewhere but certainly not noticeable yet . Long wait until next July and hardly ideal but will most likely just have to improvise in the meantime

If he is gaoled he is in breach of contract with the NRL - bringing the game into disrepute and his contract is terminated. Manly do not need to honour it if he is found guilty.

OK. I'm assuming that is a legal response and if so that answers the question well. Troubling though why two other clubs were reportedly offering big contracts to the kid even before the trial. Maybe hedging their bets, but has me suspicious that something is afoot, and there is knowledge about the case that clubs are counting on.

I have no idea how the court system works but is there any chance his trial date can be brought forward ? Do they just plonk cases in the next available date ? Seems like a long time to wait.

OK. I'm assuming that is a legal response and if so that answers the question well. Troubling though why two other clubs were reportedly offering big contracts to the kid even before the trial. Maybe hedging their bets, but has me suspicious that something is afoot, and there is knowledge about the case that clubs are counting on.
I am not a lawyer; however, my previous line of work makes me familiar with the nature of contracts (although, each contract is different in their particular stipulations). I have also had association as a third party with the NRL which afforded me familiarity with related aspects of this discussion (not specifically concerning Fainu); although, the details of which would not be appropriate for me to discuss.

You may well be right concerning Manly's confidence and that of other teams that he might get off. There were reported 'facts' that seemed implausible to me which would work in Fainu's favour. Remembering that he had major surgery on his shoulder which resulted in his arm in a sling at the time which would have seen him miss the entire season or close to it. One might speculate that it would prove very difficult for someone in that condition to be involved in the physical nature of what is alleged and subsequently charged with. All speculation though, we will have to wait and see.

I think in this case one needs to read between the lines so to speak and extrapolate

1. The trial is in July so a result will be known at that time
2.The No Fault scenario wont impact on him if he is found not guilty or the matter is dismissed through insufficient evidence. It may also happen that the policy will be dropped
3. Manly have extended Fainu's contract, knowing that if he is convicted he will face a few years imprisonment definitely

What I read here are two possibilities. The first and least likely is that the NRL will drop the No Fault policy. I don't think this will happen..at least not at this stage...and I don't think Manly are relying on this if they are buying Foran for a year to cover the spot with Cust.

The more likely possibility, and more like a probability, is that Manly officials know more about this case than we all do, and know or are very confident Fainu will not be convicted. Though Manly does make mistakes, they are run by business oriented people. They are not going to invest on a hunch, a gamble. They are not going to waste money on what seems to us such a maybe situation. No question about it. They know something we don't know and they are confident he'll walk.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. It was clearly stated the Fainu's contract is conditional to a Not Guilty verdict. I.e. if he's found guilty, contract is void. This means we pay him until the court's decision but not a day after IF found guilty

His contract will not even need to be terminated for binging game into disrepute. The contract is actually conditional to a not guilty judgement. Of course there is an actual clause

I had not considered the caveat as mentioned above regarding contractual agreements and the conditions included. In that I may be mistaken. However as pointed out Manly entered a contractual agreement after knowing of the pending trial. A contract preceding that incident, such as you are alluding to with Jamil, would probably have grounds for dismissal. A contract signed in full knowledge of that trial is a different proposition. On the surface of it unless there is a clause relating to that trial in his contract, Manly may well be bound to honour the contract. Not being a solicitor or knowing what the contract states I cannot say either way. But its an unusual case, and as I said it is not covered as far as I could read in normal RL contracts. If there is no such clause, Fainu could potentially sue if Manly seek to cancel to contract. Its further evidence that they know something we don't know about this case.
There is a clause. Absolutely

I think there is a misunderstanding here. It was clearly stated the Fainu's contract is conditional to a Not Guilty verdict. I.e. if he's found guilty, contract is void. This means we pay him until the court's decision but not a day after IF found guilty
Well he’ll have been paid for 18 months of doing absolutely **** all so he’d better be not guilty !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8