Manase Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well that put paid to the naysayers insisting he could not be selected as he is not in the 30, or did we get dispensation?

I suspect dispensation. As I said before Hastings was brought over as a back, Brown as a second row/centre. The fact they filled in as hooker on occasions was only a makeshift arrangement.

Yes he was forced with Fainu.
But was he forced to select Kelly last year?
What about Paseka?
Suli?
Parker, Croker, Gosiewski, Tanganoa, Lane...?
Barrett is still learning and has plenty of shortcomings - so there's no need to make up others! I'd say he has shown he is prepared to give younger players a shot.

Still learning? More like trial and error then followed by sheer stupidity and bloody mindedness. The only positive this season is that he is coaching his way out of a job.

I'm worried that he's making his debut against the best pack in the NRL. I'm excited to finally see him picked but man we're in trouble this week.

I'm worried that he's making his debut against the best pack in the NRL. I'm excited to finally see him picked but man we're in trouble this week.

Agree but hopefully ppl remember it’s his debut and not crucify him if he doesn’t have the best game. I think he has a great opportunity for quite a few weeks so i am excited for him. He’ll be up against one of the best 9’s in the comp

It just goes to show how Mr. Barrett thinks of Lewi Poo by keeping Poo in reggies for another week. Well done Trent and good luck Manase

Yeah.....it only took him 2 years to realise that Brown was a waste of a first grade spot.....in the mean time others like Gutho and Ferris were let go.

But just on the team. Winterstein ahead of Lane? Matt Wright AND Brad Parker on the bench? What the deuce?

Back on topic, congratulations Fainu. I hope this is the start of a long career in the maroon and white.

Last edited:
Great opportunity for Fainu to display his talent . I am sure he will do us proud !

What about Paseka?
Suli?
Barrett is still learning and has plenty of shortcomings - so there's no need to make up others! I'd say he has shown he is prepared to give younger players a shot.
What other experienced players are there in our squad that he could have used? The names you’ve tossed out are indeed inexperienced, but apart from Lewis Brown and Jono Wright, who else can the d1ckhead call upon. Lewis Brown played 30 odd games in a row before SuperCoach came to realise he was a dud, and he spent the better part of a season trying to get Walker to play like an organising half before he finally realised his best attributes revolve around his direct play. Barrett is a VERY slow learner.

Agree but hopefully ppl remember it’s his debut and not crucify him if he doesn’t have the best game. I think he has a great opportunity for quite a few weeks so i am excited for him. He’ll be up against one of the best 9’s in the comp

Well said. In his first game let’s not expect him to play like Cam Smith. If he starts out at a Damien Cook level in his first game and works his way up to Smiths level in 3 or even 4 games that would be a pass mark. If he can’t do that then we should of course call for his sacking.

What other experienced players are there in our squad that he could have used?
So, Barrett stacks our squad with inexperienced players of some potential, but when he selects them to play ... it's only because they are the only players in our squad! (Or did you mean something else?)

Good luck to the young fella.
Let's hope he doesn't become the next whipping boy on ST.
Agreed.
I'm a little worried that physically he might not be ready yet, which is why I thought Joey Lussick might get the nod. And don't forget that Manase was only converted from a half to a hooker last year, so the demands of the position are still relatively new to him. But it'll be good for him to have Moses Suli out there with him. Hope they both rip in.

What about Paseka?
Suli?
I’m pretty sure this is what Kevin Ward 777 means.

Barrett sets the top 30. He has been here three years.He is responsible for our roster Outside the top 13 , the top 30 is full of average backrowers and average three quarters like Funa, Parker and Jono Wright.All these plodders and no second hooker.If they can’t play who cares if they are young or old.

Nearly all the blokes you mention were given a go due to injuries , almost all in the backrow and centre.Suli came here because he knew his old coach and he got a run because Parker and Walker were injured.

Other than maybe Tanginoa and Kelly( who is a star ) they are all average or plodders. Crokers selection was a disgrace.And he basically said he had the 5/8 job regardless of any situation for some reason.In any case the last three years he continued to pick Brown, Myles, Wright etc unless his hand was forced.

These young players in our top 30 were selected by him. Where are the seasoned experienced mid range players to balance the squad? Thompson is the only one he has recruited? Most of them are reserve graders. Giving young reserve graders (who you handpicked ) a go due to injury means nothing except you picked a heap of ordinary players in your top 30 and they unfortunately had to get a run.There was no strategy at all involved.

One kicker in general play and one hooker out of 30 players. The second half of the season will show you the absolute folly of that little piece of wisdom and it may very well be the spoon.

Last edited:
Yeah.....it only took him 2 years to realise that Brown was a waste of a first grade spot.....in the mean time others like Gutho and Ferris were let go.

But just on the team. Winterstein ahead of Lane? Matt Wright AND Brad Parker on the bench? What the deuce?

Back on topic, congratulations Fainu. I hope this is the start of a long career in the maroon and white.

Have no problem with Frankie starting and Lane on the bench ...... Lane was at his devastating best early in the season as an impact rotation and I think we will need to keep up the intensity when AFB/Kapow are rested ...... I don't think starting him and then moving him has worked as well as it looked on the whiteboard ........ and we did come 6th with Frankie doing the job in '17 ...

I’m pretty sure this is what Kevin Ward 777 means.

Barrett sets the top 30. He has been here three years.He is responsible for our roster Outside the top 13 , the top 30 is full of average backrowers and average three quarters like Funa, Parker and Jono Wright.All these plodders and no second hooker.If they can’t play who cares if they are young or old.

Nearly all the blokes you mention were given a go due to injuries , almost all in the backrow and centre.Suli came here because he knew his old coach and he got a run because Parker and Walker were injured.

Other than maybe Tanginoa and Kelly( who is a star ) they are all average or plodders. Crokers selection was a disgrace.And he basically said he had the 5/8 job regardless of any situation for some reason.In any case the last three years he continued to pick Brown, Myles, Wright etc unless his hand was forced.

These young players in our top 30 were selected by him. Where are the seasoned experienced mid range players to balance the squad? Thompson is the only one he has recruited? Most of them are reserve graders. Giving young reserve graders (who you handpicked ) a go due to injury means nothing except you picked a heap of ordinary players in your top 30 and they unfortunately had to get a run.There was no strategy at all involved.

One kicker in general play and one hooker out of 30 players. The second half of the season will show you the absolute folly of that little piece of wisdom and it may very well be the spoon.

But ... but .... but .... this same squad of hopeless plodders came 6th last year and within a shout of top 4 ...... or did they only become plodders this year ......

Have no problem with Frankie starting and Lane on the bench ...... Lane was at his devastating best early in the season as an impact rotation and I think we will need to keep up the intensity when AFB/Kapow are rested ...... I don't think starting him and then moving him has worked as well as it looked on the whiteboard ........ and we did come 6th with Frankie doing the job in '17 ...

I can see where you're coming from, but I think Lane has been one of our best not only lately but all season and I don't think he should have been dropped to the bench for someone who is lucky to take 4 or 5 hit ups in a full game and quite frankly (pardon the pun), probably wouldn't even be in first grade without the injuries to Siro and Tanginoa.

Maybe a bit of context with pre season planning and with some understandable expectation then that Hastings could provide some utility and especially back up 9 role [ as well as an alternative kicker when on the field ], as well as Brown "s marginal but occasional utility value. Admittedly Barrett's decision to isolate Hastings , so must accept the or any consequences then , Pearce was in the frame to be the 6 [ until the cap issue ] so to fall back on Croker was quite understandable , again at the time . Obviously there seemed no real rationale in continuing with Jono Wright in the 30 when he did not play one i st grade game last season and with pretty average form and when more then capable guys like Fainu and Anderson were available . Easy to be critical in hindsight but again the expectation at the time with Hastings as a back up 9 and alternative kicker and Brown as a additional back up 9 did seem within reason but certainly concede again that Jono Wright and also Fanu "s inclusion for instance in the top 30 did have less justification . Good that Paseka . Suli now Fainu [ and hopefully Tom Wright soon ] have been given their opportunity but a mixed bag in getting a couple of the other top 30 positions seemingly right for sure .

But ... but .... but .... this same squad of hopeless plodders came 6th last year and within a shout of top 4 ...... or did they only become plodders this year ......

Yes we were in the top 4 at one point last year, but once a couple of injuries hit (Siro and Jorge) and the other teams started to get their act together, we almost dropped out of the top 8 entirely and if not for a couple of chokers at the end of the season (we were very nearly one of them), we were in a way lucky to play Finals in 2017. And this year the rot has well and truly set in.

We have reserve grade quality back rowers and centres coming out of our backside. But at hooker and in the halves, especially when you take Hastings out of the equation, we have next to no one. With Api out, we have no one left but either Brown, or a rookie to play hooker (though I think Fainu will go alright), and if anything happens to either or both DCE and Hodko.....we are screwed more than a politician in a brothel.

The only reasoning that i can see in reinstating Frank to the back row is maybe to revert back to the or his attacking positional role and with some block plays and edge running from last season . Plus his record and stats does indicate that he is quite an effective defender . Did seem a bit tough for Lane to be placed back on the bench with his good work rate and very useful go forward this season but again looks like some slightly different tactics at least intended by including Frank and no doubt it"s outcome will become apparent on Saturday .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8