Manase Fainu - Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They also spend many hours locked in small cells. Sure some inmates turn to the gym ('too much weights bro not enough speed work") but I'd be amazed if there have ever been many who achieve top sport success after serving much time at all.
No doubt there's been one or two but I can't think of any.

Of course he could resume playing if he gets out. He’s young, fitness wouldn’t be an issue. DCE is 34. He could pick up where he left off. If he gets out, he certainly owes us a contract. He’d certainly be a step up from Croker. Mr Tong and he would be a very good pairing.
Will Hopoate was out of the game for two years for other reasons. Didn’t seem to help at all. I don’t think he achieved the heights he might have, if he hadn’t gone off on the ‘instant church elder trail’.

Fainu is looking at a long stint behind bars. Then there would be a period of 1-2 years before most clubs would think of touching a man convicted of attempted murder(?). I cannot see it happening, unless by some miracle the court decision was overturned.

They also spend many hours locked in small cells. Sure some inmates turn to the gym ('too much weights bro not enough speed work") but I'd be amazed if there have ever been many who achieve top sport success after serving much time at all.
Russell Packer is one I can think of that came back to the NRL after a stint in gaol.

Tyson. No, not gamble.

Plenty of boxers discover the sport in prison & go on to make a career of it once released.

Will Hopoate was out of the game for two years for other reasons. Didn’t seem to help at all. I don’t think he achieved the heights he might have, if he hadn’t gone off on the ‘instant church elder trail’.

Fainu is looking at a long stint behind bars. Then there would be a period of 1-2 years before most clubs would think of touching a man convicted of attempted murder(?). I cannot see it happening, unless by some miracle the court decision was overturned.
Any chance Josh A might want to go off on the "instant church elder trail"?

In boxing you don't have to run long distances. Anyone can shadowbox in a small room. Running fitness is a bit tougher to develop.

Manlyfan76 brought up Tyson before. He was never the same after jail. Although he also never the same after Cus Damato passed. Even if Manase comes back, he's never going to be the same as he was.

Technically Fainu is young enough that if he won an appeal and was released, and bearing in mind that I believe there were remarks from the club or Des that his shoulder problem had finally been fixed (correct me if I am wrong on that) he could theoretically return to playing NRL. But actually, I will bet my Superannuation that he never pulls on an NRL jersey again, whether or not successful on appeal.

Regarding the appeal, like any sensible person I will defer to the actual grounds of the appeal and to any lawyers amongst us. But from the little I have read on the appeal grounds, which seem to be regarding the dangers of "identification evidence", if he is successful I would expect the remedy to be a retrial rather than some miraculous dismissal of charges and complete release.

We will never see him in a Manly jersey again, unless in later years he enjoys spectating at home games and cheering his brothers on.

Time aside, guilt aside he has a long history of shoulder problems (not only the one he was suffering from at the time)

Provided he could get out of his current incarceration and injury history a decent guide to his potential to get back after such a long time out would be the ex sharks player who was out of the game for 4 years after a positive test

Actually SER8 there is a misconception about liberties in gaols, usually based on media presentations in film and TV.

Actually most prisoners dont sit in their cells for long periods of time unless they are Max security prisoners such as those that used to be held in the Parramatta Circle or Goulburn's X wing. Certainly in remand prisons such as Silverwater they have limited time and early in a sentence they may be rated A classification with limited liberty

However prisoners are quickly assessed in Classification committee meetings determining risk and most end up in medium (B) to minimum (C) prisons depending upon limits of accommodation.

There are prisons about the state that are without walls and most like farms. They are there on trust because to escape means recapture and Max security. When I worked at Silverwater when it was a minimum classification gaol, all that stopped prisoners from escaping was a wire fence. Even had a tennis court. Some there were on works release and worked for companies outside during the day. The famed helicopter escape was a joke because the prisoner could have left easily over the fence. Most of the prisoners slept in dormitories. They were out early for muster (checking they are still there which happens a few times a day) and the rest of the time if they are not in industries or studying, they are free to use the amenities.

In Parklea Gaol I often saw prisoners playing touch football on an internal oval. Others wandered around a large area talking, some getting exercise walking up and down a ramp. Unless they are high risk, they are out and about early and in bed after sunset.

Actually SER8 there is a misconception about liberties in gaols, usually based on media presentations in film and TV.

Actually most prisoners dont sit in their cells for long periods of time unless they are Max security prisoners such as those that used to be held in the Parramatta Circle or Goulburn's X wing. Certainly in remand prisons such as Silverwater they have limited time and early in a sentence they may be rated A classification with limited liberty

However prisoners are quickly assessed in Classification committee meetings determining risk and most end up in medium (B) to minimum (C) prisons depending upon limits of accommodation.

There are prisons about the state that are without walls and most like farms. They are there on trust because to escape means recapture and Max security. When I worked at Silverwater when it was a minimum classification gaol, all that stopped prisoners from escaping was a wire fence. Even had a tennis court. Some there were on works release and worked for companies outside during the day. The famed helicopter escape was a joke because the prisoner could have left easily over the fence. Most of the prisoners slept in dormitories. They were out early for muster (checking they are still there which happens a few times a day) and the rest of the time if they are not in industries or studying, they are free to use the amenities.

In Parklea Gaol I often saw prisoners playing touch football on an internal oval. Others wandered around a large area talking, some getting exercise walking up and down a ramp. Unless they are high risk, they are out and about early and in bed after sunset.
Tumbarumba Gaol pretty much employs an honesty system 🤣

Tumbarumba Gaol pretty much employs an honesty system 🤣

Yep. Been there. Known as Mannus Gaol. Tucked away in a valley with a steep road down to the centre. But no walls. Plenty of industry keeping prisoners involved. Walk out any time if you wish, but of course if you're caught, and most are, its high security for you and none of the benefits of minimum security prison. I was a union delegate working in concert with the Commissioner of Corrective Services, and visited every gaol in the state except Wellington and Broken Hill, assessing employees' issues. There are 36 prisons scattered about the state, all different

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4