Lost that winning feeling.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think the club has been in quite a bit of adversity since the break up of our last great team in 2014 and the decisions made back then alienated that playing group.

Since 2014 I believe we really squandered a legacy that we had in the Holden Cup 2015 team that made a grand final and the only player from that team that kicked on is Tommy Turbo and too many of that team were not nurtured and retained and criminally we let David Heath leave, a coach that literally turned ****e into gold as that Holden cup team were rock bottom.

The Holden cup winning team of 2017 we did better and have four or five of that team as first graders and again I believe a mistake to let Wayne Lambkin the winning coach to leave. The cleanout that Bozo and Barrett oversaw in 2016 did not help us one bit. allowing quality juniors like Gutho to leave was not such a good call.

I believe that Stephen Humprhries the CEO is on the right track. Our club has had a turnstile of CEOs and that has not helped the club.

Winning starts in the front office and I am confident that we will see improvement. These are tricky times navigating things through covid and we are at a big disadvantage in that we are run on a shoe string budget and are well behind our rivals in relation to sponsorship and membership and we have a home ground which urgently needs investment.

We know the DNA of the club and its ability to play tough footy with flair. We need to see some leadership on the field, I think that Foran will help DCE especially with that and we need a forward leader outside of Jake. I think Andrew Davey is a shrewd signing to help with that cause.

What we must address is the pretense that we can beat quality teams without a recognized 9. It is the elephant in the room as so many people assume that Fainu will be cleared and we have limited options for the majority of this season.

All I want to see is 17 committed guys fighting hard for our cause. At the moment I dont think we are a finals contender as we would need pretty much everything to go right. For me is is bedding down a team to move forward and to achieve that the coaching staff must give the younger guys a go!

Our squad is not good enough. Really its that simple. We lack any depth because we are top heavy.

The $1.3mil spent on a $800k a year player comes at a huge cost which is highlighted if the side isn't winning.

But what do you do, let him go and sign Reynolds/Pearce with Maloney/Hunt or similar.

The answer is a pineapple.

What we must address is the pretense that we can beat quality teams without a recognized 9. It is the elephant in the room as so many people assume that Fainu will be cleared and we have limited options for the majority of this season.

Amen to this.

Our squad is not good enough. Really its that simple. We lack any depth because we are top heavy.

The $1.3mil spent on a $800k a year player comes at a huge cost which is highlighted if the side isn't winning.

But what do you do, let him go and sign Reynolds/Pearce with Maloney/Hunt or similar.

The answer is a pineapple.

Although to be fair the very top players for many teams are all on close to this money now , or relatively close.

Perhaps the real Elephant in the room is paying circa two million for two brothers in addition to the 1.3 million for the captain.

There’s a third of your cap gone on
3 players with 27 still to go.

Last edited:
Actually I read that the TV honchos are really concerned that the games will be lopsided within 20 minutes and people will turn off. So TV might be our only hope!

But you watch what they do.

First half

Team A , 6 again , 6 again , 6 again 6 again , 6 again , penalty , 6 again , 20 minutes in its 24-0

Whoops let’s change that

Team B gets a few breaks and it’s 24-10, at half time , great result.

Second half

Team B is by this stage ****ed , they’ve only had the ball for 20% in the first half.

Team A without them need for all the 6 agains scores 2 or 3 more times and it’s now 44-10, oh **** we’d better fix that.

Team B who are mentally screwed , physically ****ed then get a string of 6 agains and score a couple of late ones to bring the score up to an acceptable 44-22

TV audience in raptures, all good.

Next game , rinse and repeat.

This is a discussion forum , no one needs to tear anyone a new arsehole.

I appreciate everyone’s views , even the ones I disagree with.

The only thing I say is we talk about “ 1 win / 11 losses “.

It’s 2021, it’s one trial loss ( and I’ve extrapolated that loss in another thread ), forget last year , different side , different set of circumstances.

Let’s have this discussion if we are 0/6 or 0/8 but NOT if we lose the first game against one of the powerhouses.
Exactly and let’s not forget last season had a layoff period after Covid hit, stupid rule changes, the pandemic itself/bubble impacting individuals in different ways and then the bloody key injuries. Basically our two best attacking players out all year and myriads of other injuries throughout the year. It’s easy to see how the heads drop. Not making excuses for some of the poorer performances because like all here I was livid with sone of the efforts at times. I also think some in the team had an overinflated sense of how good we actually were following the great season we had in 19.

right now I’m just happy the footy is back and can’t wait for Saturday arvo. Just pulled the trigger on the 75 membership and the new heritage jersey. Hope it arrives in time for round 1.

First half

Team A , 6 again , 6 again , 6 again 6 again , 6 again , penalty , 6 again , 20 minutes in its 24-0

Whoops let’s change that

Second half

Team B is by this stage ****ed , they’ve only had the ball for 20% in the first half.

Team A without them need for all the 6 agains scores 2 or 3 more times and it’s now 44-10, oh **** we’d better fix that.

Team B who are mentally screwed , physically ****ed then get a string of 6 agains and score a couple of late ones to bring the score up to an acceptable 44-22

This was seen on multiple occasions. The no scrums on top of last years crap rules will make it even more lopsided. At least having a scrum would give the gig blokes a breather. It will just be like touch footy.

First half

Whoops let’s change that

Second half

Unfortunately I've lived this groundhog day many times :tmi:

Seems old mate Zorba believes we’ve lost the feeling as well.

Toss up between Dragons, Bulldogs, Broncos and Manly for the spoon on radio this morning.

Didn't hear what he said but I imagine he's helping Des with that comment, setting up for a massive ambush on cocky roosters.
In fact I can’t wait to see Robinson blowing up in the coach’s box as his millionaire side makes errors and drops this game!

Although to be fair the very top players for many teams are all on close to this money now , or relatively close.

Perhaps the real Elephant in the room is paying circa two million for two brothers in addition to the 1.3 million for the captain.

There’s a third of your cap gone on
3 players with 27 still to go.

agree 100%.

First half

Whoops let’s change that

Second half

I've watched footy for many years, and the interpretations of the 6-again are really inconsistent in my mind. I used to be able to pick when penalties should be awarded. Now I hear the 6-again whistle and i'm often scratching my head - and that is a put-off for me. Rules become too subjective.

One thing Manly players need to do is stop looking so aggrieved when they are milking one and don't get it awarded - all they do is slow the play-the-ball, and that is what the good teams do now, fast play-the-ball. Take the hit-up, hit the ground ASAP, start immediately trying to get up and play the ball to get a roll-on and the 6-agains flow off the back of that momentum - that is the only pattern I have noticed.

Unfortunately the 6-again rule has reduced the impact of post-contact meters almost to the point of them being detrimental - and that was something we did well thru Marty/AFB in the past. Without an offload, it is a better strategy to cull the post-contact meters and just hit the deck and angle for a fast play-the-ball.

The 6-again was implemented last year on teams with set rosters, and I know one of the key comments RE last season (including from myself) was our failure to adjust to the new rules.

However, prior to that amazing Canberra win where we lost Walker/Turbo long-term, we were a terrible Fwd-pass call from being 5-1 and up in the top 2. Even with those injuries we went in the Cronulla game the following week as favourites due to the resilience we showed to hold Canberra out - and we got belted by 18.

Couple of weeks later we got belted by the Dragons by 30, and then the Panthers by 30 a mere 3 weeks later - and towards the back-end of the year we stopped being competitive in some games (Souths, Melb, Titans), and failed to win games we had leads in and could/should have won (Knights, Tigers, Warriors). This was most disappointing due to the contrast with 2019 where we seemed to have more determination and grit.

I recall it feeling like we were losing a new backline player each week - always during the game at that. So we ended up with a makeshift backline - and they defended like one.

I think the complexity of the previous year, the lack of lower-grade games for our injury replacements to remain conditioned in a sped-up game - and overall weirdness of the season... i'll give Des the benefit of the doubt that he has put his professor's brain to task, and come up with a better game management plan in 2021 - when our actual 1st grade squad is on the park.

This year is more important in so many ways - we know what the rulebook is, we have seemingly recruited in light of it, and we will have lower-grade comps running to keep the potential injury replacements getting game time. If Des can't adjust and devise a new gameplan to fit, then maybe change the setting to doom and gloom. Until then, i'm comforted by the fact that we are written off early, as that plays distinctly into Des' strengths when motivating the team.

You never score those tries anymore...when they hit ..your hiiiips.
There's too much soft defence, up the guts, to many fingertiiiips
your trying hard not to show it - Manly
But Manly, lately you show it -
Youv'e Lost , that Winning feeling...ooow that Winning feeling..:wasntme:

Feel free to add a verse or 2 - where's Bozo ??

Let’s just...
B1BF4D3E-90C4-4D8E-BAEC-48BD422EF68F.jpeg

...before Bozo offers up more of his automaton tripe.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2