[Resurrected] Lol @ Parra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
NRL 2016: Parramatta Eels say third-party deal negotiations with local council were above board

PARRAMATTA chief executive John Boulous says he didn’t break the NRL’s salary cap laws when he attempted to set up a third-party deal between three players and the local council.

Reports surfaced on Wednesday that Boulous, who was then the club’s chief operating officer, and football boss Daniel Anderson had been in contact with Parramatta council regarding possible use of Tim Mannah, Will Hopoate and Nathan Peats becoming ambassadors for $75,000 in 2014.

Text messages also show that the council made contact with the three players’ agents, while then Eels CEO Scott Seward met with councillor Pierre Esber and his CEO Greg Dyer in March 2015 before the idea was shelved, according to News Corp.

There are also clear links between the council and the Eels. Current Lord Mayor Paul Gerrard has been on the club’s board since May last year, and councillor John Chedid is the CEO of the Eels’ Premiership Club, which is a business networking group.

However Boulous said on Wednesday morning that he had only been a part of introductions for the planned project, which is within the NRL rules.

“Again, there were discussions with the NRL about all relevant issues relating to the potential program with council,” he said in a statement.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...d/news-story/bc257fce7e0ac8e94e62fde4fd291223

Eagleheart

Bencher
There are rumours circulating that a decision has been made and that they will get off fairly lightly, I truly hope this is not the case.

The denial of any wrong doing from the worms board and 95% of their fans is also quite disturbing.Their is so much evidence to show that they have deliberately and systematically cheated the TPA rules. This is very serious and if the worms don't get the deserved punishment for this then it will be a terrible day for Rugby League.

.....But a ratings/dollar winner for channel nein/NRL......! :mad:

The Who

Journey Man
As much as it irks me to say it, Boulous' defence sounds reasonable.
Naturally every club would be contacted initially by a third-party sponsor to explore possible opportunities with certain players. The club would then provide contact details for the player and his manager.
How else could a third party get to meet a play to see if they were worthy of sponsorship?
I think the NRL rules are impossible to meet. What does 'arms length' really mean? It doesn't sound a legal term to me.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
As much as it irks me to say it, Boulous' defence sounds reasonable.
Naturally every club would be contacted initially by a third-party sponsor to explore possible opportunities with certain players. The club would then provide contact details for the player and his manager.
How else could a third party get to meet a play to see if they were worthy of sponsorship?
I think the NRL rules are impossible to meet. What does 'arms length' really mean? It doesn't sound a legal term to me.

Can understand a third party contacting the club, but surely a responsible professional response would be to thank them for their interest, provide a copy of the TPA rules, attach a glowing testamonial for the player concerned, and request all future correspondence be forwarded to the players manager.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
What does 'arms length' really mean? It doesn't sound a legal term to me.
Source: Legal Information Institute.
This is an extremely common legal term.
Arm's Length
Definition
Of or relating to transactions between two parties who are independent and do not have a close relationship with each other. Presumably, these parties have equal bargaining power and are not subject to undue pressure or influence from the other party. Transactions of this nature do not give rise fiduciary duties between the parties.

tookey

First Grader
I doubt that they will receive any more than an 8 point deduction which still allows them to make the semis

What a farce Green light for every team to arrange their own TPA's for players. NRL is a farce and the rich teams will get stronger and the poor teams will eventually fold. The NRL will get their wish soon to relocate teams out of sydney

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Said all along that the NRL will be bending over backwards not to penalise these cheats. Brisbane got away with it because Andrew Gee refused to open his mouth, now it looks like the Eels will get away with it because Channel Nine thinks they're good for ratings. It's a disgrace and insult to every other NRL club and supporter. Kills off any illusion that the NRL treats all teams equally or has any interest in maintaining a fair competition.

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
If a fair and just punishment is not dealt to Parra I would have to say it may be the last straw for me. I'm becoming less and less interested in the NRL with each decision. I now only watch Manly play and sometime only watch the replay if we win. If they don't want certain clubs in the NRL just take their licence off them and be done with it. Don't drag out the process and pretend you want a fair competition.

At this rate, the NRL will be just like the UK Superleague or any of the top soccer leagues around the world. The top 4 richest clubs will fight it out each year and the rest will be there to make up the numbers.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
These arguments about not wanting to upset the support base didnt seem to impact much on Canterbury or Melbourne. This is just a con job. If the NRL fall for it they are countenancing further fraud within the game, because, as a precedent, this will demand further leniency in future. What these short term arguments fail to understand is the long term impact on the game.

If Greenburg and co play softly softly they will have opened a can of worms for themselves for next time it happens...and it will and probably more regularly if clubs think the cost is worth it. That would be very dumb and unprofessional thinking.

Last edited:

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
If Greenburg and co play softly softly they will have opened a can of worms for themselves for next time it happens...and it will and probably more regularly if clubs think the cost is worth it. That would be very dumb and unprofessional thinking.

Completely agree, but "dumb and unprofessional thinking" pretty much sums up how every one of the NRL's decisions is made.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As I've been saying for weeks " the longer this goes the less likely anything at all will happen ", or the likelihood of a very minor penalty.

Toggy will be hoping any penalty is only announced if and then they are knocked out of the finals.

So you could expect this to still be going until September.

The Who

Journey Man
These arguments about not wanting to upset the support base didnt seem to impact much on Canterbury or Melbourne. This is just a con job. If the NRL fall for it they are countenancing further fraud within the game, because, as a precedent, this will demand further leniency in future. What these short term arguments fail to understand is the long term impact on the game.

If this happens every team that plays the Eels will be playing against a squad that breaks the salary cap rules. Surely this is bringing the game into disrepute.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16