Lol at the Bears

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't agree that there are too many teams in Sydney.

Sydney's existing NRL clubs don't think of themselves as SYDNEY wide clubs.

There are too many teams on the south side of Sydney is more accurate.

I've advocated since the demise of the Beagles that Manly should be serving all of the north side of Sydney from Milsons Point up to the Hawkesbury, and west to Cherrybrook. Like schools, juniors, fans, members, sponsors etc. This is population and business wise bigger than Adelaide, Canberra or Perth, but has no NRL team. And unlike Adelaide and Perth, most of the locals don't need educating in what rugby league is.

There's no reason Manly can't have a members sign up day at Westfields Chatswood. Nor any reason Manly can't sign up any Bears juniors.

Given Manly clearly have zero interest or intention of doing anything outside of Manly-Warringah, I'd rather another club was added to the NRL to serve the old Bears area instead of leaving it AFL and RU.

Last edited:

I've advocated since the demise of the Beagles that Manly should be serving all of the north side of Sydney from Milsons Point up to the Hawkesbury, and west to Cherrybrook. Like schools, juniors, fans, members, sponsors etc. This is population and business wise bigger than Adelaide, Canberra or Perth, but has no NRL team. And unlike Adelaide and Perth, most of the locals don't need educating in what rugby league is.

There's no reason Manly can't have a members sign up day at Westfields Chatswood. Nor any reason Manly can't sign up any Bears juniors.

Given Manly clearly have zero interest or intention of doing anything outside of Manly-Warringah, I'd rather another club was added to the NRL to serve the old Bears area instead of leaving it AFL and RU.
Thur club have tried in the past to get into the ‘North Sydney’ area to promote etc but are restricted by the NSWRL. I agree that there should be wider access to the area for NRL clubs to foster the game but old hostility still lingers

We really missed this chance I believe.

With no footy team from north of the harbour bridge until Newcastle, we should have done exactly that. Big push around the Hills District that doesn’t want to be Parra associated. Hornsby, Berowra, Central Coast, The North Shore.

We lost the north shore to AFL years ago, time to get the push into the schools with the players hitting the junior teams in all those areas.

Thur club have tried in the past to get into the ‘North Sydney’ area to promote etc but are restricted by the NSWRL. I agree that there should be wider access to the area for NRL clubs to foster the game but old hostility still lingers
Interesting. So the NSWRL must have thought a better outcome was to effectively gift the whole region to the AFL. Just another example of how politics has stopped the game progressing over the past couple of decades.

What does the article say (for the non-Murdoch subscribers)?
Would you believe it's an article by Phil Rothfield backing a suggestion made by - gasp! - Phil Rothfield and parroted by PVL?

NRL 2024: Fox Sports, Channel 9 join push for North Sydney Bears comeback, expansion plans​

Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter Vlandy’s plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears, with the comeback push gains momentum as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

by Phil Rothfield

Rugby league television heavyweights Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter V’landys’ plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears.

“It’s a good idea and I’d back it,” said Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany, who two years ago provided an extra $15 million a year in funding to back the Dolphins as the competition’s 17th team

Channel 9 is equally keen about reinventing the club that vanished as an NRL franchise and everyone’s second team when the Northern Eagles folded back in 2002.

“The Bears hold a special place in the hearts of rugby league fans and as the NRL develop their plans for expansion, it would be great if that heritage brand found a new home. We would support it,” said a Channel 9 spokesman

The comeback is gaining momentum after V’landys revealed his hopes to bring the Bears back as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

Support from the two TV networks is crucial. It is the broadcasters who, in the end, will fund expansion; with the Bears likely to amalgamate with PNG or Perth.

Delany spoke in detail about his own family’s attachment to Norths and even compared the resurrection of the Bears brand to South Sydney’s triumphant return in 1999.

“Norths would bring back a lot of people,” he said. “People like me who have an affection through their parents.

“My dad went to his grave still talking about Norths and the Bears. Him and his mates were always talking about them.

“They hated it when the Bears ran out of puff and were merged (with Northern Eagles) then went out of the competition altogether.

“Everyone loved them because they were underdogs.”

Delany likened the Bears’ situation to the Rabbitohs, the great old club that returned in 2002 and rebuilt themselves into a league powerhouse.

“It’s a bit like when Souths were dropped,” Delany said. “At the time no one was turning up to their games and their brand was a little bit stale.

“But it was about the spirit of being a Bunny. The current owners then parlayed that into a tribe and a way of life not bound by geography.

“You can rekindle this whole thing (with the Bears) and bring fans and audience back to rugby league as Souths did, provided you can find a set of fans waiting to be awakened as was done with the Dolphins and the Western Sydney Wanderers.”

Delany is being realistic in stipulating the Bears can’t do it on their own.

“We can’t have another Sydney team,” he said, “I love the romance of North Sydney Oval. It’s a lovely atmosphere but not a modern stadium.

“It’s a tribal brand to rekindle with another team. Maybe it’s Perth with a couple of games in Sydney. It’s a good idea and I’d back it. I’m talking as a businessman who understands brands and sport.

“If you can find something people still reminisce and talk about and then reinvent it around a new team, it will work.”

Having Norths back in an amalgamation with an 18th team would provide an extra game each weekend for the TV networks.

Foxtel put in an extra $15 million a year when the Dolphins were added as the 17th team because of the potential ratings increase, which did eventuate.

Would you believe it's an article by Phil Rothfield backing a suggestion made by - gasp! - Phil Rothfield and parroted by PVL?

NRL 2024: Fox Sports, Channel 9 join push for North Sydney Bears comeback, expansion plans​

Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter Vlandy’s plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears, with the comeback push gains momentum as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

by Phil Rothfield

Rugby league television heavyweights Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter V’landys’ plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears.

“It’s a good idea and I’d back it,” said Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany, who two years ago provided an extra $15 million a year in funding to back the Dolphins as the competition’s 17th team

Channel 9 is equally keen about reinventing the club that vanished as an NRL franchise and everyone’s second team when the Northern Eagles folded back in 2002.

“The Bears hold a special place in the hearts of rugby league fans and as the NRL develop their plans for expansion, it would be great if that heritage brand found a new home. We would support it,” said a Channel 9 spokesman

The comeback is gaining momentum after V’landys revealed his hopes to bring the Bears back as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

Support from the two TV networks is crucial. It is the broadcasters who, in the end, will fund expansion; with the Bears likely to amalgamate with PNG or Perth.

Delany spoke in detail about his own family’s attachment to Norths and even compared the resurrection of the Bears brand to South Sydney’s triumphant return in 1999.

“Norths would bring back a lot of people,” he said. “People like me who have an affection through their parents.

“My dad went to his grave still talking about Norths and the Bears. Him and his mates were always talking about them.

“They hated it when the Bears ran out of puff and were merged (with Northern Eagles) then went out of the competition altogether.

“Everyone loved them because they were underdogs.”

Delany likened the Bears’ situation to the Rabbitohs, the great old club that returned in 2002 and rebuilt themselves into a league powerhouse.

“It’s a bit like when Souths were dropped,” Delany said. “At the time no one was turning up to their games and their brand was a little bit stale.

“But it was about the spirit of being a Bunny. The current owners then parlayed that into a tribe and a way of life not bound by geography.

“You can rekindle this whole thing (with the Bears) and bring fans and audience back to rugby league as Souths did, provided you can find a set of fans waiting to be awakened as was done with the Dolphins and the Western Sydney Wanderers.”

Delany is being realistic in stipulating the Bears can’t do it on their own.

“We can’t have another Sydney team,” he said, “I love the romance of North Sydney Oval. It’s a lovely atmosphere but not a modern stadium.

“It’s a tribal brand to rekindle with another team. Maybe it’s Perth with a couple of games in Sydney. It’s a good idea and I’d back it. I’m talking as a businessman who understands brands and sport.

“If you can find something people still reminisce and talk about and then reinvent it around a new team, it will work.”

Having Norths back in an amalgamation with an 18th team would provide an extra game each weekend for the TV networks.

Foxtel put in an extra $15 million a year when the Dolphins were added as the 17th team because of the potential ratings increase, which did eventuate.

Has anyone got a working translator that can make any sense of this line?

I can sort of see why Manly would say what's the point of school visits if none of the kids are likely to join a club in the Manly juniors e.g. distance, driving etc.

The NSWRL should have ruled that Norths can keep running its juniors, but once any player is 17, they are can opt to be treated as a Manly junior if Norths don't include them in their SG Ball squad.

I guess if Norths don't pick them, they are a free agent anyway, but these juniors need a clearly set out pathway to the NRL.

Or the Norths junior clubs should cut ties with Norths and align with Manly as there is a NRL pathway for their kids.

What about Newtown, Balmain, Wests, Glebe, University. Why don't we dig them all up from the grave. Ship the Bears off to Perth and get them out of our hair finally.

I think Manly should create a 5 team juniors comp inside the Bears region. Tell the kids its a direct path to the NRL. Bears can't offer that if you play for one of their juniors teams.

Just nail the Bears coffin shut tight and send it out to sea. Finally rid us of all the bullsh1t they carry on with.

How quickly some have forgotten when the ARL thought Expansion adding 4 teams last minute would be great and grow the game LOL.

Next minute. We are told it's. Eroded the standard of the completion. Not enough playing talent of sufficient level to go round.

Someone sees an opening to create a superior comp. Follow Unification. Follow a need for Amalgamation of clubs. Beagles and our once might Manly was exsticnct.

The cycle may not happen over night. But adding more clubs. Rush it. History tells us in time it equals death to clubs as well.

History says be concerned Eagles.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8