Lol at the Bears

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wow, I thought I was nasty.;)

I don’t mind the Bears. It’s a pity the whole Central Coast thing didn’t work out for them. It’s not as if Manly’s administration has seemingly done much to convert the North Shore, and the CC, to the ‘Manly way’ of things.

Who are the Bears aligned with these days .
Used to be Souths , then was it Storm or Roosters as vice versa ?

Think that the very slow progress developing what was then Graham park at Gosford for the Bears to relocate did not help their cause much just after the S L war and coinciding with Manly having their finances really depleted as a result of not taking any money assistance from Packer [ and the only non S L club ]r and a struggling Leagues club at the time .
However full credit again to the Manly grouping after 2 years of a fairly dismal merger to boldly have a crack at being a single entity again .
Bears could not attempt to do the same and apparently for a host of reasons .

The key reason being they were no longer solvent.

Things could have been much different if:

Manly had beaten Newcastle in the 1997 decider and thus been granted an automatic five year extension to their licence at the end of 1999; or

The very unlikely scenario (impossible really) that Arko had given his blessing and Manly had gone to SL.

He did ensure that the JV agreement included a clause that the licence would revert to M-W, in the event that the JV collapsed. And so it did.

We should be eternally grateful to him for that alone.

Still, it’s sad that Norths are no longer in the premiership and that four other clubs, two of them foundation ones, have had their identities subsumed into joint ventures.

Mark Soden and Greg Florimo with James Bracey were on the Footy Show yesterday and they discussed Norths being in the NSW Cup GF and of course their continued interest in wanting to get back into the NRL. It was then mentioned that if they did, imagine playing some games at North Sydney Oval, and if one of those games was vs Manly - at which point there was much sniggering...

(By the way, Slater brought up the fact he played one game for Norths (in 2006) being a feeder club for the Storm back then. I recall seeing him play that game and if my memory's correct it was because he was dropped.)

I'd like to see a new franchise take on some history and branding.

Perth Bears, Wellington Jets....something

Mark Soden and Greg Florimo with James Bracey were on the Footy Show yesterday and they discussed Norths being in the NSW Cup GF and of course their continued interest in wanting to get back into the NRL. It was then mentioned that if they did, imagine playing some games at North Sydney Oval, and if one of those games was vs Manly - at which point there was much sniggering...

(By the way, Slater brought up the fact he played one game for Norths (in 2006) being a feeder club for the Storm back then. I recall seeing him play that game and if my memory's correct it was because he was dropped.)
Slater copped some great sledging from the crowd that day at Brookie when he played Reggies.

They should re-name themselves the North Sydney Leeches.

Seriously, every time there is talk of a new NRL team ... out come the leeches from Norths trying to hijack it....."Call them the Bears" 🐂💩

Issue for me is the way they approached this and their entry into an nrl comp - need to be a bit more humble

I was at Brooky for that game and remember slaters attitude was abysmal… I believe he was dropped for discipline reasons and he showed absolutely no interest in playing for the bears… stood at the back with his hands on his hips the entire game.. didn’t get involved at all.. even on attack he just stood back and sulked.. I remember leaving Brooky that arvo thinking he was an absolute cat and never really liked him from then on

IMG_5513.jpeg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8