Lol at the Bears

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

As per North Sydney leagues club own website :
In 2023 we also hit the 2000-member milestone

What the hell was V'Landys smoking?

Why didn't the so called journalist point the grave mistake?

That is about as accurate as saying we have over 200,000 members due to our social presence.

If you think the demographics have shifted on the beaches re local juniors etc you might be shocked at how the shift has been since the last time the bears were in the comp.

I get how they might have enough people for 4 games a year but I would think reviving the reds brand would be much much better for a perth based team

Personally I'd like to see the Bears back out of a Perth etc but 4 games a year is outrageous.

1 maaaybe 2

I sincerely hope the Bears come back. Times have changed so much it will be nice to see a bit of history come back. They still have a historic ground North Sydney Oval, and the "Norths" club up the road that even though it is a rugby club I'm sure the name will stay front and centre on the jersey as "Norths" to sneakily keep that identity. A smart co-investment.

They also have plenty of old boys who will follow the brand for the rest of their lives, and passionately assemble a good side with a jersey to fight for..

It's either the Bears or we get names like the Packers, Vikings, Timberwolves or stupid names like that which sound so artificial.

By the way, Manly could use those guaranteed two wins each year as well :)

NYEagle

A serious question for the lapsed bears supporters on here (@Ryan and others)

If you had not taken up / made the very wise decision to cross over do you think after all this time this incarnation would be enough to sustain you after a couple of years?

Manly should have organised a trail game against the Bears NSW Cup team at Nth Syd Oval, just to remind the club and fans how pathetic they are after we beat them 80-0

A serious question for the lapsed bears supporters on here (@Ryan and others)

If you had not taken up / made the very wise decision to cross over do you think after all this time this incarnation would be enough to sustain you after a couple of years?

Mate, with anything in life, I think it's human nature to eventually move on or forward. I do however also think that once something is destroyed (particularly in today's fickle & teflon society), the re-incarnation or whatever it is, may get short term attention, but the overall buy in & excitement disappears & dissipates very quickly.

The Bears always struggled for numbers & support as it was. The NRL completely burned all of them (it wasn't a magpies, Tigers, Dragons, Steelers gist where the legacies continued). They were cut away.

So while it sounds all warm and fuzzy, I personally think it'll never work. It's been too long. There's too many disillusioned ex-fans. And honestly, it's the NRL's fault.

Make the next team in Perth, or another in NZ, or the southern parts of QLD.

Honestly the Bears supporters on social media are absolutely delusional.

This story has fired them up again and it’s like the Bears are coming back next week!!

My view is this

1) no way does the NRL need another Sydney team.
2) any new side will be better placed as a new entity , as we have seen with the Dolphins.
3) TV times are EVERYTHING, another live game each week ( or at least every second week ) would be fantastic , considering that Perth is the obvious choice.
4) and lets not forget you have Albogoose wanting to waste 600 million on a new team from PNG. Whilst ( IMO) that’s a tragic waste of money if it did happen that virtually covers the costs of a PNG based franchise for about 20 years , so hard to go past.

So not ONE single reason for the Bears to return in ANY scenario.

Honestly the Bears supporters on social media are absolutely delusional.

This story has fired them up again and it’s like the Bears are coming back next week!!

My view is this

1) no way does the NRL need another Sydney team.
2) any new side will be better placed as a new entity , as we have seen with the Dolphins.
3) TV times are EVERYTHING, another live game each week ( or at least every second week ) would be fantastic , considering that Perth is the obvious choice.
4) and lets not forget you have Albogoose wanting to waste 600 million on a new team from PNG. Whilst ( IMO) that’s a tragic waste of money if it did happen that virtually covers the costs of a PNG based franchise for about 20 years , so hard to go past.

So not ONE single reason for the Bears to return in ANY scenario.
I can think of 1 selfish reason. An away Manly fixture only a 20 minute B-Line ride away.

The merger never should have happened. Manly should have remained stand alone and the Bears should have relocated to Gosford as planned.

Both clubs sadly got screwed over in the Super League war - as did the Dragons, Steelers, Tigers, Magpies and (initially) Souths. Even the demise of the Western Reds and Adelaide Rams was unfortunate. The whole thing set the game back decades.

Manly were good enough to come back. The return of stand alone Manly will always be a fond memory for us Manly supporters - right up there with our premiership wins in my opinion.

Unfortunately for the Bears it has been too long now. An expansion team will need to come from further afield than Gosford, and the idea of a Perth team playing in Bears colours and playing a few games at North Sydney Oval is just stupid.

The bears should always make us appreciate just how lucky we are to have our team still in the top comp. We were literally joined with them and so easily could have been Manly trying to climb back up a grade.
I remember our last year as the Northern Eagles and wondered how many Norths players would stay with Manly....only one, Jamie Goddard, similar style to Tooves, a real tough player.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8