Lawton a gun

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
To be honest, I'm confused by the criticism of Lawton tonight. I don't see every little detail and I may well have missed some key things regarding his game tonight. I did notice him chopping down some hard runs a few times in defence and I saw him skipping out of dummy-half and generally distributing well. As I said, I didn't watch him closely so perhaps I'm missing something. I saw plenty of errors from quite a few players, but not Lawton. What did he specifically do, or not do, that I missed?

Yeah Lawton played fine but we lost so people are looking to throw stones

I thought Lawton did a good job. Again, having a replacement hooker was the very least of our problems.
I actually thought losing Croker was massive in this game. I mean he’s basically played 9 all year touches the ball every play and is basically the player the team gets coordinated around. Then we play the biggest game of the year and he’s out. Enormous loss imo. Now that’s not to say Lawton played bad, he didn’t. But the combination change and tempo was significant. That said Croker doesn’t automatically make Harper catch or make tackles either…..

Started at Manly with a bang and became a permanent fixture in our 17. But Bullemor is taking someone's spot ... maybe it's Lawton's?
I was a little underwhelmed at Lawton's dummy half contributions. In fairness, he'd clearly been trained up for the backrow role and Brandon Smith has explained that the body weight and fitness required for the two roles are very different.
We'll want a bit more guile out of dummy half next year. Croker's natural development should account for a little improvement in this area but Cust is the guy who could come to the fore.
Not sure where all this would leave Lawton, but Manly's depth is looking good so they are very good problems to have.

Really like Lawton 's attitude , just gets in there and has a crack and a busy player both in attack and defence .Seems that Bullemor has all of the attributes to be damaging attacking player , defence has to be pretty reliable also to be a mainstay in i st grade however . If Bullemor can impress early , again every prospect to be in the game day 17 and out of Walker [if he still stays ] and Lawton to leave out from the bench , would expect Lawton but that would only be because the competition would be pretty intense for inclusion . Still some possibility that Walker could revert back to a centre position next season , still a strong runner , defence would think can at least measure up there . Going well obviously in recent times as the 14 and in the ruck area and no surprises if he continues that role if he does finally decide to stay on some type of mutually beneficial deal .

Really like Lawton 's attitude , just gets in there and has a crack and a busy player both in attack and defence .Seems that Bullemor has all of the attributes to be damaging attacking player , defence has to be pretty reliable also to be a mainstay in i st grade however . If Bullemor can impress early , again every prospect to be in the game day 17 and out of Walker [if he still stays ] and Lawton to leave out from the bench , would expect Lawton but that would only be because the competition would be pretty intense for inclusion . Still some possibility that Walker could revert back to a centre position next season , still a strong runner , defence would think can at least measure up there . Going well obviously in recent times as the 14 and in the ruck area and no surprises if he continues that role if he does finally decide to stay on some type of mutually beneficial deal .
That is my ideal scenario for Des to sort out Dylan's defence and move him back to centre. Put Bullemore and Davey in the backrow rotation with Olakau-atu and Schuster to play the utility role as a 13 like Walker did this year. I think this makes our team looks more rounded as a whole!

That is my ideal scenario for Des to sort out Dylan's defence and move him back to centre. Put Bullemore and Davey in the backrow rotation with Olakau-atu and Schuster to play the utility role as a 13 like Walker did this year. I think this makes our team looks more rounded as a whole!
Think that there are some good suggestions there but initially missed the notion of Schuster in a utility role . Just think at this stage of his career and development that he should ideally be an 80 min player . Obviously can not acquiesce to player "s preferred playing positions or time on the field in general or just for the sake of it but can "t imagine Josh being too wrapped as just being regarded as a utility player and not a fully fledged 80 min player at back row or 6 . Note the case of having him more refreshed at times but again just consider him an 80 type player for maximum benefit for Manly

Think that there are some good suggestions there but initially missed the notion of Schuster in a utility role . Just think at this stage of his career and development that he should ideally be an 80 min player . Obviously can not acquiesce to player "s preferred playing positions or time on the field in general or just for the sake of it but can "t imagine Josh being too wrapped as just being regarded as a utility player and not a fully fledged 80 min player at back row or 6 . Note the case of having him more refreshed at times but again just consider him an 80 type player for maximum benefit for Manly
As Woodsie has mentioned in a previous thread, the utility role has changed significantly and we are seeing utility's playing bigger minutes than a lot of their peers. Schuster's form does not warrant automatic selection and he is at the stage of his career where he can no longer get by with the hype of his "potential"
I've also just had a quick look through the stats and it seems Walker was touching the ball and having as many or more hit ups than Schuster even though Walker was only playing 55 to 60 minutes. Schuster would flourish playing as a 13 even if that means he spends the first 20 on the bench. Imagine the damage he could do with fresh legs.
In 20 games (mostly off the bench) Walker had 437 receipts of the ball compared to Schuster who had under 400 in 22 games.
Effectively you can have a higher impact playing the utility role compared to being confined to an edge.

Last edited:
As Woodsie has mentioned in a previous thread, the utility role has changed significantly and we are seeing utility's playing bigger minutes than a lot of their peers. Schuster's form does not warrant automatic selection and he is at the stage of his career where he can no longer get by with the hype of his "potential"
I've also just had a quick look through the stats and it seems Walker was touching the ball and having as many or more hit ups than Schuster even though Walker was only playing 55 to 60 minutes. Schuster would flourish playing as a 13 even if that means he spends the first 20 on the bench. Imagine the damage he could do with fresh legs.
In 20 games (mostly off the bench) Walker had 437 receipts of the ball compared to Schuster who had under 400 in 22 games.
Effectively you can have a higher impact playing the utility role compared to being confined to an edge.
Fair call , will be at Manly until at least 2024 [ i think ] and hopefully beyond that so sure that all options will be considered or even implemented to get the best out of his undoubted talents and allowing him also to be a happy camper in the process so to speak . .

Schuster would be a better fullback than Walker.

Good comments MA, maybe just needs to bulk up a tad not to much as this sometimes tends to hamper speed and agility. This guy is such a weapon for us especially within 5m, a bit of white line fever is ok by me if you know you have this ability and back yourself. Des would be loathed to not have the Lawman in the 17, good problems for Des to have tbh.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4