Latu Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
He doesn’t have the work rate or ticker to play lock. Playing there your asking him to make 35-40 tackles a game. He will be too gassed to ball play after all that work in the middle.
You're probably right mate, it's unfortunate though

I think he (Weekes) was named as 10 for BWSE already lol. It was probably a typo. I'm not talking about this season @frank stokes . I'm talking about 2025, and looking at possible combinations that enable us to have all five of those players in the seventeen, in DCE's last year.
Cherry is durable but I am not sure he could hold up to playing in the forwards, it would certainly kill his ball playing ability…
This is the problem I see with him at 9 also, there is no respite defending in the centre…

Yeah, I totally cant see why Shoe isn't 13, his as good a 13 then any we have had and we have had some.
Well I see his potential but can't agree with this comment at all. Check out the best 13s in the comp, they are dynamic in defence and attack. Schu has some silky skill but not sure if he willl ever be dynamic.
If he ever gets fit enough to be dynamic, then look out, he'll take us all the way. I'd love to think it will happen, but not convinced yet.

Well I see his potential but can't agree with this comment at all. Check out the best 13s in the comp, they are dynamic in defence and attack. Schu has some silky skill but not sure if he willl ever be dynamic.
If he ever gets fit enough to be dynamic, then look out, he'll take us all the way. I'd love to think it will happen, but not convinced yet.

Doubts always exist early in careers. Anecdotally I recall Geoff Toovey when he first appeared. I recall one of his very first games against the English side playing a minor tour game aganst Manly. 'What's the ballboy doing on the field'. He'll never make it in the big league. they said. Too small. That game showed his skill. Tackled the poms out of the game which Manly won. But doubts persisted. Within two years he was playing for Australia. Takes time. They arent going to start to become their own person, while they're still in diapers. Wait until they're toilet trained.

Unusual move to sign a gifted or promising 16 yr old to a not insignificant 4 year deal but looks like the management got it right on this occasion . Was becoming a bit concerned with his progress after not really being sighted much last season and apparent injury issues but coming on well this season . Have to think that he would be ready next season at the latest to be given some opportunity to vie or be seriously considered for some i st grade opportunities . As Foran was able to make an impression around the18 mark and was shown to be up for it . Good that he is having some time as a 7 as no doubt he has already shown that he is a very capable 6 . Not too sure if Shu has even played any 13 in his junior days or certainly Ball and Mathews level . Always had the notion that the Shu could ideally have a 13 role as an option but to accommodate Latu and if he is definitely or able to provide a serious boost the the i st grade side soon , still more inclined to look at the D C E to 9 option for the last 18 months or so of his current deal . Have to say also just how big some of the lads at i st grade or reserve grade level are these days , Latu is a fairly solid and tall individual but does not look that big compared with others in those grades on present indications .

Cherry is durable but I am not sure he could hold up to playing in the forwards, it would certainly kill his ball playing ability…
This is the problem I see with him at 9 also, there is no respite defending in the centre…
The nine is the answer and he would hold up sharing the role with Gordie, the modern game pretty much demands 2 DH’s, we’ll it does if you want to be competitive, beside that his a smart footballer and would manage his game and his future playing time not to dissimilar to another smart old 9 who managed 500 games.
If Chez wants to stay on the field and remain as an eighty minute player, (provided he can) he could move into the halves when Gordie comes on and spell a young Latu while his blooded into grade.

The nine is the answer and he would hold up sharing the role with Gordie, the modern game pretty much demands 2 DH’s, we’ll it does if you want to be competitive, beside that his a smart footballer and would manage his game and his future playing time not to dissimilar to another smart old 9 who managed 500 games.
If Chez wants to stay on the field and remain as an eighty minute player, (provided he can) he could move into the halves when Gordie comes on and spell a young Latu while his blooded into grade.
Dce has backed up well as always and taken a couple of intercepts, but his best runs this season has been when he jumped into dummy half. His pace off the mark and ability to kick if markers slacken would be his best role moving forward.

hopefully shu and latu make an impossible case. That is the key

We are a funny mob. Applying handbrakes in promoting talent because they are young and then writing them off early. There is no magic formula or age each kid is different and some are ready at 18 whilst many are not. But you can't make the mistake of a universal approach. Some will thrive and some won't but at some stage they have to be thrown into the fray. .

Whilst to me changing positions sometimes is liking moving deck chairs on the Titanic we haven't got the right players in the right positions at present. I know that injuries and an unbalanced squad makes its difficult but Aloiai at lock is silly. His lateral movement is poor and he lacks the speed a lock needs. he's a square peg in a round hole.

Our achilles heal is still dummy half and expecting Croker to play 80 minutes and make 40 to 50 tackles and then provide good crisp service and creativity from dummy half is illogical.

So there is a real dilemma in the structure of our squad and a lack of reliable depth at present and that's something recruitment and the coaching staff needed to be focusing on throughout the season. The players looked disinterested again on the weekend. If they don't believe in the formula provided then their performances will reflect that.

DCE could play dummy half in a canter as he is fit, smart and durable just like Cameron Smith was. Some will say why weaken one position for another? Because you need to provide a pathway and process for developing halves you expect to take over from your 36 year old half back. If you wait until he retires no one will be ready to step up.

Dce has backed up well as always and taken a couple of intercepts, but his best runs this season has been when he jumped into dummy half. His pace off the mark and ability to kick if markers slacken would be his best role moving forward.

hopefully shu and latu make an impossible case. That is the key
Theres many positives there, he would get our ruck speed back into the 21 century, his passing out DH would improve us out of site, his ability to throw a long ball, providing a cut out pass from DH would buy us space on the edges and is invaluable, all the good 9’s have it there arsenal, his always been a capable defender, his footy smarts to read the game and manage our game, theres more as you mentioned, makes perfect sense to me, anyway it’s Seibs and Chez who have to come to terms with the concept so it’s just thinking out loud at the moment.

Is it possible that as DCE ages he's moved to 14 with Latu taking on the 7 alongside the Shue?
Definitely a consideration eagleron and I have a couple more idea's that could be options
I felt a while ago......bring a fresh Fainu off the bench at 9....and also, though DCE is Qld half I have always felt he could light up a dummy half role also, he can tackle and is 1 of the fittest in the game.
Valid points SER8, but the scary non dynamic 13 would be Aloiai, this just ices the cake making the ruck even more lethargic and helping opposition teams attack our middles and win easy momentum, whilst not adding anything to our attack ...... the importance of that "Quicker, mobile" lock forward to lift that middle, is just another issue we have at Manly and maybe underestimate due to all the other things going on around the club and players this season.
Agree Eagleron would have a Winning point on Schu if he could get himself up to a better standard
of fitness, seems to have lost a heap of agility as he grows into his body and struggles with diet.

Remember, we can't agitate for a positional change with Schuster , or he'll agitate for a pay increase or release (or his management will).

So basically let him wear a number 6 on his back even though he's playing lock, and I'd be happy to give Fainu or Weekes a go at 6 (just give them the 13 jersey).

We don't want another player threatening to leave because they aren't getting exactly what they want.

Projecting into 2025.
Thoughts on DCE to 13, GCKT to 9, Fainu to 7, Schuster as 6 and Humphries to 14.
I think the shoe is probably better suited to 13. I doubt at 36 years old or whatever dce will be, he would want to be one off the ruck against the big boys lol

I think all this talk about Latu is somewhat premature. He has not yet played a first grade match and we've already seen how hard its been for Schuster, Burbo, Weekes, just to name a few to adjust to the big time. If Latu stays, he'll gradually be brought in to the side over the next year. I doubt Schuster would be moved to lock because he's a ball player, and 5/8 suits that role. It would be no different to him playing second row and we saw how that went. Time will tell where these kids end up. Latu may end up at half. He may end up at hooker. He may end up in the centre. Weekes may end up on the wing, at centre. All speculation. But one important point is you don't move your best players from their best positions unless you have a better player to fill the role. That just weakens the team.

I think all this talk about Latu is somewhat premature. He has not yet played a first grade match and we've already seen how hard its been for Schuster, Burbo, Weekes, just to name a few to adjust to the big time. If Latu stays, he'll gradually be brought in to the side over the next year. I doubt Schuster would be moved to lock because he's a ball player, and 5/8 suits that role. It would be no different to him playing second row and we saw how that went. Time will tell where these kids end up. Latu may end up at half. He may end up at hooker. He may end up in the centre. Weekes may end up on the wing, at centre. All speculation. But one important point is you don't move your best players from their best positions unless you have a better player to fill the role. That just weakens the team.
This animal is different Bearfax, if you recall his brother Manaise and how quickly he adjusted to the NRL, this kid is every bit as good.....imo better.

The problem is we don't seem to know how to ease the young guys in. Schuster should have been our 5/8 from 2021 onwards, but Des signed Foran and forced Schu to play backrow then completely messed him around last year. Burbo (2nd row/centre) and Weekes (fullback/half/hooker) have been bounced around playing different positions, short stints off the bench or playing for Blacktown. Someone like Weekes is clearly down on confidence and needs a good stint playing in the one position for Blacktown, but here we are throwing him into the deep end again this weekend in Melbourne

If Latu is good enough then he is old enough, and when we decide to debut him we can't chop and change his role because it clearly doesn't help the confidence of younger players. Seems like we're already on our way to messing this up with Latu's older brother this week too

I’m not suggesting I agree with the idea of Schuster at lock but what is it going to take for you to concede that lock and second row are not the same anymore and haven’t been for years? The lock also ball plays so when people suggest Schu to lock, it’s because he can throw a selective pass (something the modern lock does smack bang in the middle of the field).

I like the way Seibs is bringing through Latu and our other youngsters. Gently. Giving opportunities to step up to the next level for a few weeks and then taking the pressure off and dropping them back down. Best way to build confidence. Let them learn then see if they can apply those lessons in a less intense environment. It's the rugby league equivalent of training at altitude.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11