Kasprowicz gooooooooooooone,along with Lehmann

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Personally I find that disgraceful,hope it comes back to haunt the selectors in a huge way.
--------

Lehmann and Kasprowicz dropped

Cricinfo staff

January 1, 2005

Shane Watson: all set to make his Test debut at Sydney © Getty Images

Darren Lehmann and Michael Kasprowicz have been omitted from Australia's team for the final Test against Pakistan at Sydney, which starts on January 2. This means that Stuart MacGill will return to the side after last playing the Kandy Test against Sri Lanka in March 2004, while Shane Watson, the 23-year-old highly rated allrounder, will finally make his Test debut.

Lehmann's exclusion wasn't entirely surprising, given his poor run of late – his last 12 innings, dating back to the home series against Sri Lanka last year, have fetched him just 320 runs at 26.67 – but for Kasprowicz, it was a cruel New Year's gift after his outstanding performances last year – 47 wickets in 13 Tests at 23.74.

Ricky Ponting, however, stated that the changes were made keeping the conditions at Sydney in mind, and that Lehmann, already 34, would still be in the reckoning for future series. "We think it's the best balanced side for this opposition and these conditions," said Ponting. "There was a lot of talk about which way we should go - should we keep the same team that has done well in all conditions of late. There was a fair argument for that, there's no doubt about that."

Talking about Lehmann, Ponting said: "As far as I'm concerned he hasn't been dropped. He's just been left out of the side because of us trying to get the balance right for the team. He's totally accepted that. It's not the end of him."

Ponting also wholeheartedly backed the inclusion of Watson: "We've all known Shane's potential for a long time now. The way he has improved over the last 12 or 18 months ... he's bowling quick and his batting has come on in leaps and bounds. Have a look at him technically now compared to 12 months ago; he's a lot better player. We've got no worries about his abilities."

Ponting admitted, though, that breaking the news to Lehmann and Kasprowicz was tough. "It's certainly a hard thing to go to somebody and look them in the eye and tell them they're missing out on a game," said Ponting. "I know how much it means to every player in the dressing room to play for Australia. When you have that taken away it's hard to deal with and it's certainly hard for me to do.

"But Both Darren and Michael accepted it really well there and they understand it is for the betterment of the team for this game. They're happy to cop it and get on with it and get back in the side very soon."

The pitch at the SCG looked dry, and was expected to provide significant assistance to the spinners for most of the Test, a factor which influenced the selectors. "They [Shane Warne and MacGill] are two of the best in the world," Ponting said. "Stuey knows conditions here like the back of his hand and his record here is absolutely outstanding and Warney's isn't much different.

"It's a great prospect to have them both in the side. Stuart really deserves his opportunity ... his form has been outstanding. Pakistan have never been great players of leg spin bowling. We think as this game goes on, having those two absolute quality leg spinners in the side is going to be the hardest bowling for Pakistan to face. It should be exciting to watch."

Australia 1 Justin Langer, 2 Matthew Hayden, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Damien Martyn, 5 Michael Clarke, 6 Adam Gilchrist, 7 Shane Watson, 8 Shane Warne, 9 Jason Gillespie, 10 Glenn McGrath, 11 Stuart MacGill.

© Cricinfo

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

McGrath finally gets promoted to number 10

I think its a top call as from what ive see of watson this year he deserves a go. He could be one of the best allrounders in the world if he keeps improving like he has recently.

As for magilla well he is the form spin bowler in first class this year and half of that is at syndey. I reakon he will out shine warne. Had warne not been around i have no doubt magilla would have collected 500 test victims as well. He has 150 already with waarne in his way.

Good chance for the selectors to experiment with some different players . Macgill always performs well in Sydney , pity he is such an unlikeable guy . Pakistan are looking good at tea time on day 1 . I'll be out at the SCG tomorrow ( Day 2 ) hopefully to see the Aussies bat. Interesting statistic is that The Aussies have lost quite a few "dead " test matches over the last few years after already having wrapped up the series . Could we see it happen again ? The more runs Pakistan score in this 1st innings will keep the SCG Trust happy & guarantee healthy attendance figures & who knows , we may even get to see a 5 day Test Match.

Rain in sydney today storms expected tonight....so the game may go into the 4th day.

btw I noticed Martin got 60 odd this time, a bit of a failure considering he's used to getting centuries and Ponting is on his way to a double.

Flufster can you keep talking down the players....thanks. :p

You see flufster wanted Lehman to stay and Martin to go.....so what happens the opposite. :p

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2