Kapow...and the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I honestly think the way Kapow handles himself on social media should be applauded and personally should be a blueprint for the majority of current players. Never on trouble, never courting controversy, solid family man who is also educating himself for life after footy.
If we want to get rid of someone like that I think I we should give ourselves an uppercut and respectfully **** off.

Last edited:

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Wasn't Kapow the inspiration for our loquacious poster Bozo to get into shape?
I have been into the health and fitness since I was 13 , and have lived in the gym since then
To passionate fitness people health and fitness becomes a life style .
My hero and Inspiration was always the Incomparable Immortal and greatest ever player of all time Zachary Robert Fulton.
Kappow looks and is an amazing athlete .
Kappow is a Keeper !!!

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
However, there are plenty of different personalities in every team and has been since day dot
Exactly, and Manly has had more than our share of 'different personalities', it might even have been one of our strengths.

...Never on trouble, never courting controversy...
The only controversial thing I recall was when he said Manly was going to win the premiership - good on him, I wish a few more of our players thought like that.

SeaEagle21

Bencher
Premium Member
One thing i have noticed is last season Marty seemed to be on the outer, never seemed happy or engaging with the rest of the boys when they scored or did something good. He seems (on the field at least) happy and running to congratulate/celebrate. Maybe that meeting with Des to clear the air at the start of the season helped re-align some goals for himself.

Small observation but little things can turn into big positives

Freagle

Bencher
Dear Mr Taupau. Respectfully, let me say that I apologise for ever thinking/suggesting that you should be moved on in a years time. You are worth what we pay, you lead our forwards, and handed several Souffs players a new orifice yesterday afternoon. Let’s call it a moment of delusional weakness on my behalf, and pretend it never happened

P.s. Awesome guns.

Mitch

Bencher
One thing i have noticed is last season Marty seemed to be on the outer, never seemed happy or engaging with the rest of the boys when they scored or did something good. He seems (on the field at least) happy and running to congratulate/celebrate. Maybe that meeting with Des to clear the air at the start of the season helped re-align some goals for himself.

Small observation but little things can turn into big positives

Completely agree and was going to say the same thing - he looks really happy out there this year after taking on more of a leadership role, he and AFB could really lead us into the future with some of these young guys coming through.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Marty for at least a few more seasons please ... we have some gr8 young props coming on but they need mentors and none better than Marty - Tof, Paseka & Boyle will benefit greatly from playing with our two great, inspirational bookends

Fluffy

Journey Man
Keep both

Couldn’t give a **** what the players put up on Instagram and the like tbh, as long as he produces on the park that is good enough for me, and he produces week in week out

Rule of thumb is 100m average per game, Marty's worst year with us was his first at a measly 142m. nuff said

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Seems like a player who values pride in ones performance(as the be all and end all) over the facade of playing for colours and team-mates, a refreshing change.

It may be a refreshing change ... but the British conquered 3/4 of the known world by convincing people that standing (and dying) for King and Country, being a part of something greater than themselves made the strength of the whole far greater than the strength of the sum of their individual parts ....

Give me a team player whose greater motivation is to not let his team mates down over a bloke who plays as an individual any day .....

If you genuinely believe that playing for team-mates and colours is a facade you are one sad little man ..... whilst there may be some theoretical validity to your argument ... in reality a champion team will always flog a team of champions ....

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
It may be a refreshing change ... but the British conquered 3/4 of the known world by convincing people that standing (and dying) for King and Country, being a part of something greater than themselves made the strength of the whole far greater than the strength of the sum of their individual parts ....

Give me a team player whose greater motivation is to not let his team mates down over a bloke who plays as an individual any day .....

If you genuinely believe that playing for team-mates and colours is a facade you are one sad little man ..... whilst there may be some theoretical validity to your argument ... in reality a champion team will always flog a team of champions ....
You strike a good point Woodsie....I recall my early days as a Manly supporter early eighties (Yes I'm pretty old)....when Manly had a team of great individuals, but Eels beat them in 2 straight GF's, simply because they were a Champion TEAM....I have lived by that theory ever since that sad period.
In actual fact, the Manly team on Saturday though not an amazing performance, still worked hard for each other and though not a technically perfect performance, it really was a team effort that got them across the line....

Kevinward777

First Grader
You strike a good point Woodsie....I recall my early days as a Manly supporter early eighties (Yes I'm pretty old)....when Manly had a team of great individuals, but Eels beat them in 2 straight GF's, simply because they were a Champion TEAM....I have lived by that theory ever since that sad period.
In actual fact, the Manly team on Saturday though not an amazing performance, still worked hard for each other and though not a technically perfect performance, it really was a team effort that got them across the line....
To be fair Maxta old mate... that Parra team which you write about contained names like Ella, Cronin, Kenny, Sterling, Grothe, Edge, Muggleton, O’reilly, Price to name but a few. Brett Kenny remains one of the best footballer’s I have ever seen lace up a boot, he was an absolute freak of a player, and more worthy of immortal status than Mal Meninga imo. Still, team harmony and a winning attitude are an absolute must for any side to win a premiership.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
To be fair Maxta old mate... that Parra team which you write about contained names like Ella, Cronin, Kenny, Sterling, Grothe, Edge, Muggleton, O’reilly, Price to name but a few. Brett Kenny remains one of the best footballer’s I have ever seen lace up a boot, he was an absolute freak of a player, and more worthy of immortal status than Mal Meninga imo. Still, team harmony and a winning attitude are an absolute must for any side to win a premiership.
No doubt superstars in their own right K777, but I think they were far more fluent as a team, with great understanding of what their mate was up to and when to push up.
Manly had some great individuals like Choppy Close, Blake and Boyd....but I felt the Eels were a better flowing team.....agree on Kenny - that bloke was along with Steve Rogers, 2 of the best footballers I have seen that don't get the recognition deserved.

So so true - played like champions until really challenged and then played as individuals!

Kevinward777

First Grader
No doubt superstars in their own right K777, but I think they were far more fluent as a team, with great understanding of what their mate was up to and when to push up.
Manly had some great individuals like Choppy Close, Blake and Boyd....but I felt the Eels were a better flowing team.....agree on Kenny - that bloke was along with Steve Rogers, 2 of the best footballers I have seen that don't get the recognition deserved.
Definitely.

Give me a team of players who have pride in their own performance at their core and as a collective they all benefit.

You have a role within the team and you perform that role to a level that makes you proud and also garners respect from your team-mates. External motivational factors such as playing for the team/colours/history etc are secondary and complimentary to the core reasons to perform well.

No point in believing in something bigger if the foundations of each individual are flawed to start with, you end up getting ahead of yourself.

No doubt you also play for your team mates and Coach etc but they should be an added factor to enhance your level not the focus.

Melb players core focus is performing their roles, reaching their numbers and if they don't there is accountability to keep things in check, past results of adhering to such strict self accountability numbers acts as an incentive to see the light at the end of the tunnel----which is the "bigger picture". Believing in this self accountable culture is what is dressed up (and i mean this in a good way) as playing for the team and what it stands for.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Give me a team of players who have pride in their own performance at their core and as a collective they all benefit.

You have a role within the team and you perform that role to a level that makes you proud and also garners respect from your team-mates. External motivational factors such as playing for the team/colours/history etc are secondary and complimentary to the core reasons to perform well.

No point in believing in something bigger if the foundations of each individual are flawed to start with, you end up getting ahead of yourself.

No doubt you also play for your team mates and Coach etc but they should be an added factor to enhance your level not the focus.

Melb players core focus is performing their roles, reaching their numbers and if they don't there is accountability to keep things in check, past results of adhering to such strict self accountability numbers acts as an incentive to see the light at the end of the tunnel----which is the "bigger picture". Believing in this self accountable culture is what is dressed up (and i mean this in a good way) as playing for the team and what it stands for.
This is just a given anyway. I can't think of a FG footballer who forgets about their "role" or individual performance in order to focus on the colour of their jersey as motivation?! Any athlete is going to turn their attention inward to how they are performing; that is just human nature. The two can coexist. You can focus on your own performance and at the same time, take pride in your jumper and bask in the successes of your teammates. Cam Smith certainly does and he is in the Melbourne system.

What some are concerned about is Taupau's apparent lack of interest in the "bigger picture" you are talking about. They feel he is a "mercenary for hire" and nothing more. I don't really care either way, I love him as a player and think he is a beast, but still...

This is just a given anyway. I can't think of a FG footballer who forgets about their "role" or individual performance in order to focus on the colour of their jersey as motivation?! Any athlete is going to turn their attention inward to how they are performing; that is just human nature. The two can coexist. You can focus on your own performance and at the same time, take pride in your jumper and bask in the successes of your teammates. Cam Smith certainly does and he is in the Melbourne system.

What some are concerned about is Taupau's apparent lack of interest in the "bigger picture" you are talking about. They feel he is a "mercenary for hire" and nothing more. I don't really care either way, I love him as a player and think he is a beast, but still...
I never said that they both can't coexist it is the balance that matters.

The best players are self motivated as you said "this is just a given" but it is also the main factor in determining performance, the playing for team-mates and colours etc is over hyped and too focused on----but yes it is a strong bonding factor, still secondary though.

Kalvin

Bencher
I'll put it into perspective... who do you think is/ was more valuable... Marty or N Myles?! Enough said!

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

Your argument is flawed in that you seem to think the presence of one excludes the existance of the other .... the fact remains that given two players of equal ability and pride in personal performance ... the one that buys into team, colours, glory and something bigger than themselves will always prevail .... they are on a mission ...

I repeat .... your comment that team pride is a facade may seem a reasonable notion in a technical manual .... but it ain't a philosophy that will bring too much success in a dressing room ...

mozgrame

Engorged member
Players that perform their roles well for the good of the team first and foremost are worth more to the club, fans, sponsors and the game itself. They are known as team players and are highly sought after assets.

Players that value their personal performance, statistics and success above the team can be valuable to a franchise in regards to sponsorship, fan growth etc.....but it's usually short term. They tend to be in it for the self-satisfation and income. They are known as mercenaries.

Give me a Beaver Menzies over a Hayne Plane everyday.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16