Kapow...and the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
Marty has been, and still is, a great prop. He’s strong, aggressive, gets through the advantage line and has one of the best offloads in the game. However, personally I now rate AFB ahead of him - all the same characteristics except he’s naturally bigger and stronger. In fact, he is the absolute weapon that Kapow probably wishes that he was.

Kapow is also on marquee money. He has been a great investment for the club - in fact we gained about 2000 members in the week after he signed for us.

Kapow also plays for himself, from what I gather, and is not particularly close to any of his teammates. His instagram posts for example, are seldom followed or commented on by any other players, they’re more about his personal ‘brand’. Everyone else in the team seems to have a network of friends - pics of them relaxing after training, taking holidays together, etc - but Marty does not. No biggie, each to their own, but it does suggest that he is probably not the most popular player.

For these reasons, and the fact that he is approaching his thirties, I feel that he might not stick around after next season when I THINK his contract expires (I’m too lazy to check). Also, Tof Sipley and Paseka are coming along nicely, and are on vastly less money.

Does the club keep him - presumably on about the same money- or do we invest in the future?

Thoughts?

I agree. Too many high quality young guys coming through our club at the moment to keep Marty on his salary level. Everything comes down to price I suppose. It’s no secret I’m a fan of no frills, hardworking underrated props with a good attitude in their mid to late 20s.

Marty is a must keep - though I share your thoughts on AFB who is the packs Monster in 2019.
The time he kept referring to himself as his own product kind of left me feeling - "Its not boxing, your part of a team - that's the product"
However, there are plenty of different personalities in every team and has been since day dot....so now just happy if he keeps making big metres with a few offloads and from footage Iv'e seen following the team victories, he is banging on the esky and singing with his mates so that will do me.

If you are worried about the coin he's on I'd say he is worth every penny. I'd rather offload Walker to ease pressure on our balance sheet.. Perhaps DCE could also take a pay cut and we could offer him a testimonial in reply. We really should ask the rorters and the scum for advice on how to hold onto players legitimately :giggle:

Cool - good thoughts, one and all. @Budgewoi Eagle - never disparaging to manly players, more of an observation that he’s on big coin and that could be used to keep other players who may be catching up top him. perhaps didn’t explain myself very well.

Keep both

Couldn’t give a **** what the players put up on Instagram and the like tbh, as long as he produces on the park that is good enough for me, and he produces week in week out

Agree.

He's a different type of cat.
I wrote something similar last year after he was on "League Life" when the rumours about him leaving were doing the rounds.
I did find it a bit odd at the time that when asked about it he more or less said "I'll see out my contract" etc but didn't once mention "Manly", "Sea Eagles" or the like.
He seemed as honest as they come and he said how his own performances, behaviour,, etc is his to worry about and as long as his family, coach and teammates think he's doing
what's expected then that's all that matters.

It's so interesting we seem to have this perception with sporting teams that we think they all get along and have similar lifestyles and goals when that's not the case.
As long as they are all onboard when it comes to training and gameday then that's all that matters.

Maybe AFB has improved so much because he's had someone like Marty to observe and learn from and you can't put a $$ figure on that.

AFB is better in stints, Taupau is more consistent and durable. Both provide great offloads. Taupau is a smarter player, and less vulnerable in defence. AFB has better momentum making runs and is surprisingly agile. I reckon Taupau is still the more valuable player in terms of money, although I reckon we try retain him and move him to an edge like Sammy Burgess. Replace Joel Thompson at seasons end and allow our prop stocks to continue to develop/maybe a forward signing.

8. Forward signing (a Brenton Lawrence mould like Christian Welch)
9. Manese Fainu
10. Addin Fonua-Blake
11. Curtis Sironen
12. Martin Taupau
13. Jake Trbojevic

Marty has been, and still is, a great prop. He’s strong, aggressive, gets through the advantage line and has one of the best offloads in the game. However, personally I now rate AFB ahead of him - all the same characteristics except he’s naturally bigger and stronger. In fact, he is the absolute weapon that Kapow probably wishes that he was.

Kapow is also on marquee money. He has been a great investment for the club - in fact we gained about 2000 members in the week after he signed for us.

Kapow also plays for himself, from what I gather, and is not particularly close to any of his teammates. His instagram posts for example, are seldom followed or commented on by any other players, they’re more about his personal ‘brand’. Everyone else in the team seems to have a network of friends - pics of them relaxing after training, taking holidays together, etc - but Marty does not. No biggie, each to their own, but it does suggest that he is probably not the most popular player.

For these reasons, and the fact that he is approaching his thirties, I feel that he might not stick around after next season when I THINK his contract expires (I’m too lazy to check). Also, Tof Sipley and Paseka are coming along nicely, and are on vastly less money.

Does the club keep him - presumably on about the same money- or do we invest in the future?

Thoughts?
A lot would depend on whether we can narrow the gap on what we think he's worth and what he thinks he's worth.

Agree.

He's a different type of cat.
I wrote something similar last year after he was on "League Life" when the rumours about him leaving were doing the rounds.
I did find it a bit odd at the time that when asked about it he more or less said "I'll see out my contract" etc but didn't once mention "Manly", "Sea Eagles" or the like.
He seemed as honest as they come and he said how his own performances, behaviour,, etc is his to worry about and as long as his family, coach and teammates think he's doing
what's expected then that's all that matters.

It's so interesting we seem to have this perception with sporting teams that we think they all get along and have similar lifestyles and goals when that's not the case.
As long as they are all onboard when it comes to training and gameday then that's all that matters.

Maybe AFB has improved so much because he's had someone like Marty to observe and learn from and you can't put a $$ figure on that.
Seems like a player who values pride in ones performance(as the be all and end all) over the facade of playing for colours and team-mates, a refreshing change.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4