Just on Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am sorry to hear about you
I have not been sacked or underachieved in my career
I am not perfect and certainly not incompetent or a loser

Mate, correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re a bouncer, right?

No disrespect to anyone in the security industry, but the kind of win/loss @anthonyb1965 was referring to just isn’t even a thing in that arena. I’m sure there are plenty of lawyers, doctors etc out there who have also had to wear high-stakes ‘losses’ throughout their careers; doesn’t make them failures or underachievers - that was a low, and unwarranted, blow on your part. I’ve experienced the same ebbs and flows professionally - doesn’t make me any less good at my job, or respected in my profession.

Same with sport - I’ve lost big fights, I’ve also won big fights. As a coach said to me the day I narrowly missed a medal at World Champs earlier this year - “some days you win, some days you learn”. I wouldn’t call any of the people who went home from Worlds without any bling (this time) a ‘loser’ or ‘underachiever’. That’s a bloody unrealistic attitude to have.

Last edited:

No disrespect to anyone in the security industry, but the kind of win/loss @anthonyb1965 was referring to just isn’t even a thing in that arena. I’m sure there a plenty of lawyers, doctors etc out there who have also had to wear high-stakes ‘losses’ throughout their careers; doesn’t make them failures or underachievers - that was a low, and unwarranted, blow on your part. I’ve experienced the same ebbs and flows professionally - doesn’t make me any less good at my job, or respected in my profession.

Same with sport - I’ve lost big fights, I’ve also won big fights. As a coach said to me the day I narrowly missed a medal at World Champs earlier this year - “some days you win, some days you learn”. I wouldn’t call any of the people who went home from Worlds without any bling (this time) a ‘loser’ or ‘underachiever’. That’s a bloody unrealistic attitude to have.

........ "He scoffs at scars who never felt a wound" .......

No disrespect to anyone in the security industry, but the kind of win/loss @anthonyb1965 was referring to just isn’t even a thing in that arena. I’m sure there are plenty of lawyers, doctors etc out there who have also had to wear high-stakes ‘losses’ throughout their careers; doesn’t make them failures or underachievers - that was a low, and unwarranted, blow on your part. I’ve experienced the same ebbs and flows professionally - doesn’t make me any less good at my job, or respected in my profession.

The reality is that I have never been sacked or quit and walked away from adversity in my time as a bouncer .

You are right, sometimes we win , sometimes we lose and some guys keep bouncing up from adversity and keep moving forward and some guys quit
Thats the difference

Sorry WOODSIE but you have to be joking yeah?

When TB took over this side DCE was one of the premier halves in the NRL. GF winner, Churchill medal winner (on a losing side even) and playing really well doing the job he was coached to do. Do you remember the line breaks he used to make on his side of the field?

When TB arrived I remember an article where TB talks about changing DCE's game to a Thurston type of all over the field player. well 3 years later TB pretty well destroyed DCE's game. Look at the incessant kicking for touch on the last tackle this year... that's the coaches game plan...

Sure DCE has made it back to the QLD and AUS sides but that's more luck than outright owed due to the cupboard being so bare.

So no TB didn't make DCE's game better but he sure made it a lot-lot worse. And if you think anything else then you really are kidding yourself...

If we were totally honest about this, there is no way DCE would have been selected for Origin or the Kangaroos this year because of Barrett's coaching.

Cronk and Thurston had retired from rep footy, Ben Hunt had again proved that he can't handle big game pressure, and both Morgan and Ponga were out injured. The only options Qld had left to try and win Game 3 and save face were either DCE or Corey Norman who was so far out of form it wasn't funny.

Cherry was their only realistic option. If they wanted to win then they had no choice but to pick him. They had no one else who could come close to doing the job they wanted.

And to his credit, Cherry grabbed the game with both hands and put in what most think was the true Man of the Match performance, leading Qld to a face saving win. And it was primarily that game, Meninga said so publicly, that kept him in the frame for the end of season tests, also greatly helped by Morgan and Ponga still being injured, Maloney as well, and Muster ruling himself out (no idea why Cleary wasn't considered).

As much as DCE never deserved to be dropped from the Qld and Australian sides in the first place and I think he should have been there all along, the reality is that if others had been available this year he would still be blackballed from Qld and that likely would have killed his chances at getting his test jumper back, even if Mal did pick him for the PM's XIII

For all intents and purposes, DCE was lucky this year to get his rep jumpers back. Well done to him for playing as well as he did in those games because I think he was his teams best player in all 3 games, but the reality is that he was lucky to even be there

Nothing personal here but in my experience bouncers don't walk away from adversity they generally call more bouncers!:call:
Yes feathered friend , we all work as a team and always have each others back . We never leave each other in the lurch .

What a pity Tom Wright is still not at Manly now that Desie has signed.

Des would make Tom an established first grader.
Big statement to make,seeing as we will never know.....I wait with baited breath for the Tony Williams signing and how he will be our next big thing.....

Last edited:
The reality is that I have never been sacked or quit and walked away from adversity in my time as a bouncer .

That was the point you’re missing - @anthonyb1965 didn’t mention being sacked or quitting, he was talking about the wins and losses within your profession - like, spending weeks or months preparing a tender, or a court case, or treating a patient, only to lose the bid, the case, or the patient. Some industries don’t have a correlation with that, and it’s obvious from some of your posts that you plain don’t get it. You don’t judge someone’s whole career on the incremental wins/losses, you have to look at the big picture.

If we were totally honest about this, there is no way DCE would have been selected for Origin or the Kangaroos this year because of Barrett's coaching.

I agree 100% ..... just as I also assert that any drop in DCE's form is also not a product of Barrett's coaching ..... which was my original point .....

What a pity Tom Wright is still not at Manly now that Desie has signed.

Des would make Tom an established first grader.

Sorry the evidence is simply not there. He scored a fantastic try against StMerge last year & that was about it. His defence was not up to first grade standard.

That was the point you’re missing - @anthonyb1965 didn’t mention being sacked or quitting, he was talking about the wins and losses within your profession - like, spending weeks or months preparing a tender, or a court case, or treating a patient, only to lose the bid, the case, or the patient. Some industries don’t have a correlation with that, and it’s obvious from some of your posts that you plain don’t get it. You don’t judge someone’s whole career on the incremental wins/losses, you have to look at the big picture.
You also missed my point . I was talking about Trent Barrett being a failure as a head coach at Manly and a quitter and a loser .
Trent's head coaching career so far is judged BY the way he handled adversity and the way he under achieved with the over all quality of his team . That's the big picture Trent has painted on his career role as a head coach in many Manly supporters eyes and some may colour his picture as much as they like .
Thank you for your view .

Last edited:
Sorry the evidence is simply not there. He scored a fantastic try against StMerge last year & that was about it. His defence was not up to first grade standard.

His defence in first grade was not a problem if you looked at the games he played. It was because the outside backs had a major off day (that's where the defence flaws appeared) and Wright as scape goated because the backline lost its way

Times have changed on here since he left, there was a time I would get blasted for saying he wasn't ready.

Times have changed on here since he left, there was a time I would get blasted for saying he wasn't ready.

He was still developing Clay. But Barrett showed no confidence in him and from the start of the year indicated he was to be a centre not five eighth. What happened then? He played mainly 5/8 in the Reggie's and occasionally full back. He got a chance against St George in the centre and played a good game, scoring a top try, but the ball kept going to opposite side of the field. In his second opportunity he was 5/8, and struggled, but then the entire team were off their game. Those suggesting his defence let them down, should note he only missed 2 tackles all game while Parker and Suli missed 5 each, Kelly four and even DCE a couple. But Wright was scapegoated. No one else was dropped, even though several played far worse than him. And quite frankly he was a better option than Croker, who Barrett must have been in love with.

The problem as I saw it was Barrett didn't know how to use him. The sensible thing surely would have been to, like many suggested and many players have entered firsts in the same way, was to bring him into firsts on the wing. They needed pace and a bit of attacking skill, but Barrett would not let go of two of the slowest backs there in Wright and Parker, game after game. For the life of me I felt like phoning him up and saying, 'bl..dy well get the kid on the wing Trent. We need speed'. I know Wright was taking time developing in the game (started much later in the game than the rest) but he was very poorly used. But then this is the same coach who wouldn't play Hastings, a situation that only harmed Manly because Hastings was still paid and now is starring in England. It was a bad judgement call in my opinion.

Sorry WOODSIE but you have to be joking yeah?

When TB took over this side DCE was one of the premier halves in the NRL. GF winner, Churchill medal winner (on a losing side even) and playing really well doing the job he was coached to do. Do you remember the line breaks he used to make on his side of the field?

When TB arrived I remember an article where TB talks about changing DCE's game to a Thurston type of all over the field player. well 3 years later TB pretty well destroyed DCE's game. Look at the incessant kicking for touch on the last tackle this year... that's the coaches game plan...

Sure DCE has made it back to the QLD and AUS sides but that's more luck than outright owed due to the cupboard being so bare.

So no TB didn't make DCE's game better but he sure made it a lot-lot worse. And if you think anything else then you really are kidding yourself...
With all due respect mate. I'm not the biggest fan of DCE the person, but he still is a premier half, the incumbent QLD and Australian halfback. Hard to top that

You must be new I guess? don't worry its ok... keep up the hard work and it will come to you one day.

Chew on this and please feel free to tell me I'm incorrect.

Look at cronk. How many new 5/8's has he had over the past 10 years? If you can't be arsed checking its been lots and guess what! his game has stayed exactly the same. each of his sidekicks fulfilled a role to complement his natural game...

Thurston the same.

I put DCE in this same company as far as talent and believe that if TB had have complimented his game instead of attempting to change it then things could have been very different.

Of course, there are some that still believe TB did a good job given the circumstances. those people will continue to believe in Unicorns and leprechauns no matter what the facts presented.
Cronk and Thurston are game managers and organisers. Cherry is the running type half. So the combinations or changes in halves aren't really comparable in my opinion. Mainly because cherry needs to adapt to the half coming in and his style of play where as a cronk or Thurston in the team it's the other half that evolves their game around their style of play. Just my opinion

With all due respect mate. I'm not the biggest fan of DCE the person, but he still is a premier half, the incumbent QLD and Australian halfback. Hard to top that
I'm a massive DCE supporter and of course he's a top shelf Half. My point however is that Barrett didn't make him that player and if anything his game has suffered under TB. Had he followed the upward trajectory he was on back in 2011 to 2014 then he could have been anything. TB and his coaching has badly affected DCE up yo this point.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4