Just a thought on NEW signings.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I personally would have loved a Ben kennedy/Sam Burgess type signing....truth is, this mould of player is not available nor affordable.
But spare a thought - the real key to a successful team, is to nurture a crop of future stars and have them break into the NRL with a 1 - 2 year time frame and the only signings should be quality over quantity to inspire these potential stars and form an ultra competitive footy team.
The recent teams using this formula, would be Penrith and Cowboys who are both Top 4 sides and look to stay there for the next few years at least as a dominant force.
This could just be what we have starting in 2023 with big Oka imo up with the best young forwards in the comp and Koula already an auto selection, plus I feel we have not seen Paseka's best and could be up with the best forwards in the comp - I expect Flanagan to have a great effect on this big beast in 2023 and then add 3 - 4 more players including Weekes, Tuitivake, GCK all having the potential to push for a spot in the 17.
Roach is a true footballer and injury free will be in the mix, this could be a season of many "positive" suprises.
Also the young Cows forward Condon is looking the goods since moving South, so it's only several weeks till trials to see just how good he is.
I feel that left edge last season lacked X factor, as Davey was a hard working toiler and Bullemore seemed a bit lost, so I expect Tuilagi to have far more impact from day 1.
Maybe the signings have seemed on the quiet, but is this recognition to the young guns coming through this is their time and belief they can light up the NRL in 2023 ?
I am hoping this is the case and if even 2 rookies have impact and everything else falls into place, this could be an exciting season to watch a fast, enthusiastic footy side that is going forward in a big way....similar to 2005 - 2006 before we hit that "Golden era"

I personally would have loved a Ben kennedy/Sam Burgess type signing....truth is, this mould of player is not available nor affordable.
But spare a thought - the real key to a successful team, is to nurture a crop of future stars and have them break into the NRL with a 1 - 2 year time frame and the only signings should be quality over quantity to inspire these potential stars and form an ultra competitive footy team.
The recent teams using this formula, would be Penrith and Cowboys who are both Top 4 sides and look to stay there for the next few years at least as a dominant force.
This could just be what we have starting in 2023 with big Oka imo up with the best young forwards in the comp and Koula already an auto selection, plus I feel we have not seen Paseka's best and could be up with the best forwards in the comp - I expect Flanagan to have a great effect on this big beast in 2023 and then add 3 - 4 more players including Weekes, Tuitivake, GCK all having the potential to push for a spot in the 17.
Roach is a true footballer and injury free will be in the mix, this could be a season of many "positive" suprises.
Also the young Cows forward Condon is looking the goods since moving South, so it's only several weeks till trials to see just how good he is.
I feel that left edge last season lacked X factor, as Davey was a hard working toiler and Bullemore seemed a bit lost, so I expect Tuilagi to have far more impact from day 1.
Maybe the signings have seemed on the quiet, but is this recognition to the young guns coming through this is their time and belief they can light up the NRL in 2023 ?
I am hoping this is the case and if even 2 rookies have impact and everything else falls into place, this could be an exciting season to watch a fast, enthusiastic footy side that is going forward in a big way....similar to 2005 - 2006 before we hit that "Golden era"
I think Condon will surprise and make 17 he got a good size frame. I expect Bullemore to also do a fair bit better under coach who knows him a bit as a middle.
Tuilagi to me is more involved as when he was getting ball with steam on edge very hard to stop.

I think Condon will surprise and make 17 he got a good size frame. I expect Bullemore to also do a fair bit better under coach who knows him a bit as a middle.
Tuilagi to me is more involved as when he was getting ball with steam on edge very hard to stop.
Yes I reckon our left edge threat has always been built on that second man play and getting outside the defence, lacking players with the ability to run direct and through the wall, which Tuilagi may bring.

More from Bullemor (it even rhymes) - tick from all of us.
Break out years from Tuilagi and Condon - easy to agree with that.

I'm hoping to see more leadership on the field from the following to facilitate the above - these two seem like friendly giants who help little old ladies across the street: Paseka and Sipley.

Tapau was a 'pack-leader' - now Aloiai seems to have inherited this role to an extent. Paseka and Sipley need to become (and be seen to become) additional pack 'hard-heads', and drag the rest along with them.

I would pick a mentor for each of them, one who may give tailored guidance:

• Bullemor & Condon: Jake T
  • Tuilagi: Schmole
  • Paseka & Sipley: Aloiai

I think that Bullemor and Condon would be receptive to Jake's guidance. Hit hard, run hard, never give up - that's the start of what Jake brings. Hard to spread him over all the forwards (and think of his own game), but if he can help improve these two it would be worth it.

It would be an ask for a young player (Schmole) to mentor another young 'new to the club' player (Tuilagi), but it may be the making of both of them. It would have to be closely monitored. At least Olakau'atu knows how to dominate his edge and be thought of as a threat to the opposition every week as a second-rower.

I think that making Aloiai, Sipley & Paseka a 'self-improvement mini-unit' may reap dividends in terms of accountability and competitiveness amongst themselves.

If we can get a 10% improvement in our pack this year, we'll probably be competitive at least in most games, with few (or no) blowout scores. For me, the most disappointing thing about last year was often losing the arm-wrestle (holding our own in the middle of the field, dominating in defence without the ball, not staying in the contest long enough to give ourselves the chance to win).

I hope our new players can and will buy into being part of a feared 'pack'. Over to you Kelma, Ben - and Ethan.....

I hope Paseka and Sipley can step up and realise that they can be beasts. I'm getting Peaheart T-Rex vibes at the moment.
Get them a mirror or something, they need to realise how big they actually are!

Paseka and Sipley have caught our packs very contagious Jake Trbojevic Mr nice guy Virus .
Some one should tell Jake that there are no etiquette table manners on the footy field

We need to change our Packs nice guy Image and attitude
We need an intimidating enforcer mindset change in our pack

I hope Seibold can enforce this chance of image and attitude to our pack

We need an Image and attitude change from Angelic to Demonic
Best Manly pics: Jake Trbojevic - Sea Eagles

I'm hoping to see more leadership on the field from the following to facilitate the above - these two seem like friendly giants who help little old ladies across the street: Paseka and Sipley.

Tapau was a 'pack-leader' - now Aloiai seems to have inherited this role to an extent. Paseka and Sipley need to become (and be seen to become) additional pack 'hard-heads', and drag the rest along with them.

I think that Bullemor and Condon would be receptive to Jake's guidance. Hit hard, run hard, never give up - that's the start of what Jake brings. Hard to spread him over all the forwards (and think of his own game), but if he can help improve these two it would be worth it.

It would be an ask for a young player (Schmole) to mentor another young 'new to the club' player (Tuilagi), but it may be the making of both of them. It would have to be closely monitored. At least Olakau'atu knows how to dominate his edge and be thought of as a threat to the opposition every week as a second-rower.

I think that making Aloiai, Sipley & Paseka a 'self-improvement mini-unit' may reap dividends in terms of accountability and competitiveness amongst themselves.

If we can get a 10% improvement in our pack this year, we'll probably be competitive at least in most games, with few (or no) blowout scores. For me, the most disappointing thing about last year was often losing the arm-wrestle (holding our own in the middle of the field, dominating in defence without the ball, not staying in the contest long enough to give ourselves the chance to win).

I hope our new players can and will buy into being part of a feared 'pack'. Over to you Kelma, Ben - and Ethan.....
I’d be even happy with “ respected pack”, because last year we had the “ LOL pack “.

“ Feared” might be a little out of the question, so “ respected “ is a good start.

Agree with most of this but not sure Id be getting Aloiai to mentor Paseka.

Paseka is around 90 first grade games to Aloiais 120 odd.

They should be competing to be alpha of the pack

He's going to have to learn to get the ball unexpected, Josh doesn't even know when he's going to throw one?
I agree 100% with what you say, but I really feel at NRL level....even at 16's and over, the player is an "option runner" and should expect the pass.
Thing is when players feel like decoys, they get very lazy and slow up tangling with the defensive line rather than bursting through....creating obstructions and fail to make the defence fully commit so can still slide to the next outside attacker.
Worst of all having that option runner exploding hard is a far harder to tackle and when that outside defender keepsn feet outwards will never stop that straight runner if commited to the footy.
Back to your point, Josh is unpredictable and will play what he feels and see's, making him a dangerous footy player.

I agree 100% with what you say, but I really feel at NRL level....even at 16's and over, the player is an "option runner" and should expect the pass.
Thing is when players feel like decoys, they get very lazy and slow up tangling with the defensive line rather than bursting through....creating obstructions and fail to make the defence fully commit so can still slide to the next outside attacker.
Worst of all having that option runner exploding hard is a far harder to tackle and when that outside defender keepsn feet outwards will never stop that straight runner if commited to the footy.
Back to your point, Josh is unpredictable and will play what he feels and see's, making him a dangerous footy player.
Was having a chat a few months ago with Cliffy at a game and we talked about how he read the game 2 or 3 passes or plays ahead but was also guilty of passing the ball to the guy 2 rows into the hill area on occasions. He said there was a fine line between genius and stupidity. He thought at the time that Shoe needed time to find his feet and given losing a few kilo's he could develop those skills. It was a wrap for Shoe I guess.

If I'm following you correctly, I think a good example of this was when Shu was playing 5/8 against Parra and Lawton scored his 1st try for us. Shu did the outside look thing and gave the short ball to a straight running Lawton. And that commitment to the hard straight run was unstoppable. I was trying to watch as much of Tuilagi last season (which I admit was limited) to see what the bloke had coz I didn't know anything about him. And what you say about lazy decoys - I saw a bit of that with the Tigers. But I also felt a bit of it was poor direction from the ball player so I felt he started getting a bit bored with the play. And of course, the Tiges were going pretty ordinary anyway. So for me Tuilagi is still a very much unknown. Has he got potential - I think so. But not sold on him yet as the damaging left edge that we need.

And on the hard nose pack that we need - I have real concerns about looking to Aloiai as being the pack leader. I honestly don't know where the confidence comes from that he's the man. He just hasn't demonstrated much of anything to me on anywhere near a consistent level. I think HE thinks he's got it but I'm just not seeing it. For mine, it is still Jake that can inspire this pack. Despite his image and what Bozo says about him, I think the whole Mr Nice Guy thing is a bit overplayed. He goes in just as hard as any player. He and Tom can be mentors to the younger blokes who should and will at some point, be introduced. I think there's enough aggression in the pack with Keppie, Sipley and Guac but it needs to be channelled better. And the the coaching staff need to unlock Paseka and get more out of Aloiai and Bullemore. And I will throw in someone that I will get laughed at for naming - but (and it's a big but) if Boyle can get fit and play with some luck, I reckon he has the potential of adding some real starch to the pack. Over to you coaching staff!!

Sam Burgess …. He’s got more hang ups than a Christmas tree!

Just sayin’

If I'm following you correctly, I think a good example of this was when Shu was playing 5/8 against Parra and Lawton scored his 1st try for us. Shu did the outside look thing and gave the short ball to a straight running Lawton. And that commitment to the hard straight run was unstoppable. I was trying to watch as much of Tuilagi last season (which I admit was limited) to see what the bloke had coz I didn't know anything about him. And what you say about lazy decoys - I saw a bit of that with the Tigers. But I also felt a bit of it was poor direction from the ball player so I felt he started getting a bit bored with the play. And of course, the Tiges were going pretty ordinary anyway. So for me Tuilagi is still a very much unknown. Has he got potential - I think so. But not sold on him yet as the damaging left edge that we need.

And on the hard nose pack that we need - I have real concerns about looking to Aloiai as being the pack leader. I honestly don't know where the confidence comes from that he's the man. He just hasn't demonstrated much of anything to me on anywhere near a consistent level. I think HE thinks he's got it but I'm just not seeing it. For mine, it is still Jake that can inspire this pack. Despite his image and what Bozo says about him, I think the whole Mr Nice Guy thing is a bit overplayed. He goes in just as hard as any player. He and Tom can be mentors to the younger blokes who should and will at some point, be introduced. I think there's enough aggression in the pack with Keppie, Sipley and Guac but it needs to be channelled better. And the the coaching staff need to unlock Paseka and get more out of Aloiai and Bullemore. And I will throw in someone that I will get laughed at for naming - but (and it's a big but) if Boyle can get fit and play with some luck, I reckon he has the potential of adding some real starch to the pack. Over to you coaching staff!!
That example with Lawton S68 is spot on and if Lawton did not commit 100% to the run, would have been stopped, maybe an error, but ran that unders line "right through"....Croker of all ppl scored similar vs Bris when we spanked them by 50 in 2021....hard unders lines with purpose.
It's a good habit to get into, as it completely bends up and kinks the defensive line allowing space as the defenders are forced to commit and if they don't - your on your way.
Funny how all these bodies in motion when winning well, yet behind or struggling there are NO runners....Manly recently lack those hard nosed ball runners, who want to bang down the walls and Paseka , Oka, Tuilagi types will be far more dangerous running with pace and power than that flat footed catch and run stuff, plus team mates will love taking the next run after they have scattered the defenders and got the defence on the back foot !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4