Josh Starling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mozgrame said:
Snake said:
I've mentioned it a few times this season already, but he is yet to go missing in defence this year, which I find really impressive from a relatively young and very inexperienced first grade prop. Outstanding the way he puts his body into his work, and must have wonderful fitness, and/or concentration to keep turning up the way he does in the middle.

Not to mention his cover defence. OUTSTANDING!!!

I heard Foz interviewed yesterday on MMM and he said Josh was very fit.
We are seeing now why Tooves had so much faith in him . On ya Tooves!

rifraff said:
He needs to be upgraded from a plodder. Cover defending props are all heart

Yeah I'm happy to pay that.

He's really subscribed to the Brenton Lawrence school of superfit front rowers. He looks like he's been working on his speed too.

At the start of the year he was barely making the 15 minute mark now he's up over 20 mins.

To be expected in your first full year in the top grade.

BJ's first year here had a major flat spot in the middle of the season due to niggles and fatigue, his minutes were dropped and he came out the other side firing again.

Add King being back and fit (hopefully for the rest of the season) and you have your 3 first grade quality props to build a team around.

Yeah I'll put my hand up and say I was bamboozled by what they saw in Starling based on his first half of the year.....even allowing for the fact its hard for young props etc and they always take time etc etc. Didn't think he offered too much.

But he is a slow burner Josh and is getting that bit better each week - quite consistent. Gets that 1% better each week and contributing nicely now.

You begin to think these recruiters of ours have got one wrong and more often than not they haven't.

More egg for me.

HappilyManly said:
Starlo on Nein Footy Show today :)

Thx HM.

I'm heading out but just started recording, to catch Josh.

I feel like BJ is suffering a bit of 2nd year syndrome for us (hopefully he ups the ante now) but Josh has been consistently solid, with those bits of brilliance.

Will be very interesting to get Josh's view on things, and the state-of-play as the finals loom.

I think Starling is a more long term project but for the current squad we need more aggression and line bending go forward.

Starling is a more mobile, fit, no mistake version of Vic Mauro the type of player that compliments a strong forward pack not one to lead an average forward pack that plays above it's weight.

I can see Manly purchasing many more forwards in the coming years and he will be a mainstay, not too expensive getting good value but for the current squads needs I still feel he is not what we need.

Can't knock the bloke he has done everything that has been asked of him and more so I don't mean to be coming across as negative but for right now we need a player with a little more impact and aggression.

Problem is we don't really have anyone and Epa must have way too many missed tackles in him and lacks the fitness levels to warrant a call up.(have not seen much of him to be honest don't have the time these days to keep up with every player)

Obviously Toovey is aware we are lacking aggression and go forward from the start of the season otherwise he would not have signed Epa.

Toovey is working with the troops he has and building a playing style and structure that best suits his squad which is all you can ask for from a coach.

I think 2V was relying on Ritchie Fa'aoso to provide that aggressive prop for this year but unfortunately not. It was a real shame we didn't get to see a couple of good seasons of big Joe and Ritchie coming off the bench. It would have been very handy last Fri night.

If we could get more bulk into Dunamis and JSL without losing their speed they would be more than a capable replacement over the coming seasons.

mickqld said:
I think 2V was relying on Ritchie Fa'aoso to provide that aggressive prop for this year but unfortunately not. It was a real shame we didn't get to see a couple of good seasons of big Joe and Ritchie coming off the bench. It would have been very handy last Fri night.

If we could get more bulk into Dunamis and JSL without losing their speed they would be more than a capable replacement over the coming seasons.

I agree 100%

I'm not convinced on Hasson or TRed but there aren't any other options at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing Blake Leary from the Northern pride next year.

mickqld said:
I'm not convinced on Hasson or TRed but there aren't any other options at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing Blake Leary from the Northern pride next year.

G'day all,I remember seeing Hasson in the 20's playing with Cronulla and he caught the eye with his hard running.Idon't know where that's gone as he doesn't seem to have that style anymore.
cheers mike

No reason he won't continue to improve over the next few years. He doesn't lack heart. Potentially a Mark Bryant type, as a back-up prop.

bones said:
If it were up to me, I'd move King on at years end and I'd sign Fui Fui on a one year deal. He is unwanted at Parra. Willie Mason could be another short term option. He is on the lookout for a club.

Don't mind either of those two coming here. A prop that just comes on for 10-12mins and is told to just explode would be good. And it's worth nothing that 2009 Parra made the GF on the back of not only Hayne but Fui's go forward.

Mason is still showing something. So he's an option.

Josh is getting hammered in the Telegraph tomorrow by Rothfield.

I'd say he will get suspended for a few weeks.

bob dylan said:
Josh is getting hammered in the Telegraph tomorrow by Rothfield.

I'd say he will get suspended for a few weeks.

Maybe he should have got a still shot of Cameron Smith elbowing Matt Ballin's head and smeared that all over his sh*tty paper.

If it is an actual eye gouge then he'll get a few weeks.

Until then, a still shot with no footage to back it up is just gutter journalism. I would be amazed if it is an actual eye gouge rather than awkward/unfortunate timing during a tackle.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/buzz-shocking-alleged-gouge-by-manly-sea-eagles-star-josh-starling-an-eyesore-for-nrl/story-fni3gnk1-1227019769103

Buzz: Shocking alleged gouge by Manly Sea Eagles star Josh Starling an eyesore for NRL
PHIL ROTHFIELD SPORTS EDITOR-AT-LARGE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH AUGUST 11, 2014

IN a shocking weekend for foul play, this is the photograph the NRL or the Manly Sea Eagles didn’t want to see.

Ace photographer Gregg Porteous caught Manly front-rower Josh Starling appearing to gouge Souths forward Dave Tyrrell in Friday night’s match at the SCG.

The second-half incident will be investigated by the NRL match review committee on their busiest morning of the season on Monday.
Throw it in with Josh Reynolds’ three brain snaps in Brisbane on Friday night and an alleged “chicken wing’’ that put Manly centre Steve Matai out of the match against the Rabbitohs and it’s an ugly look for the code.

I text-messaged the photo to both the Souths and Manly camps on Sunday to get their thoughts on it. Manly coach Geoff Toovey did not reply.
Working in Starling’s favour is the fact it happened right in front of referee Chris James.

On face value it looks shocking. You’d think Starling would be trying to palm the player rather than using two fingers in a gouging position.

If proven guilty of foul play, Starling will be facing a long spell on the sidelines.

Depending on the level of intent, players in the past have been suspended for up to 20 weeks for gouging. The South Sydney Rabbitohs have chosen not to comment.

Manly would have gone through the Video this weekend and there would be many 'gouges' throughout the game :cool:

Buzz is ever vigilant when it comes to Manly and the NRL :p

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6