Josh Schuster in 2020 ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would be super excited to see that. To me for this team to reach the top Walker has to be at centre with Suli and Parker pushing each other for the other spot and Elliot a back up at Fullback and Wing.
Dylan would be a better centre for his experience at 5/8 last year, a bit more creative and more variation than just relying on his speed. If this happens (Schuster at 5/8 and playing well there, Dylan shifting out) and we do somehow get Fainu back ... pretty exciting year ahead.

I'm sceptical of anything the Mole writes. There are never any direct quotes just speculation as the sort you read on this Forum. Anyone can make up stuff under the guise of 'journalism'.
I will be astounded if Des does anything funky with selections for the opening matches of the season. He'll stick with proven performers until injury or poor form forces consideration of the unproven back-ups.

Schuster WILL trial and what happens will be based on not just game time, but training levels and ability will hold importance.
There have been plenty of quality similar aged youngsters who have had a shot over the years and the better judges get it right....so if he is ready, forget media or anything I hear or post, Des will make the call....and I personally think Schuster in the 17 is a decent chance....even if initially off the bench.

very much doubt that he will be preferred there over Walker as the 6 when the really serious stuff gets underway once the fixtures start . Probably can kiss goodbye to either Suli or Parker then
Walker is developing a good kicking game, so Schuster would need to shine in that department to gain a permanent first grade spot at five eighth. As far as expendable backs go, I could envisage Suli replacing Jorge on the wing if Walker returns to to the centres. Depth is building in the club with options in most positions. In a couple of years, it will be hard to retain all our talent.

Schuster will be a nik kosef type player in my opinion - ball playing back rower

Loved Kosef and he had the makings of a Mal Reilly about him but injury stuffed his chances of reaching those heights. In respect of comparisons with Schuster, its probably too early to tell if he will be in that style, but he seems to have a range of skills that exceeds even kosef in my opinion. but then he hasnt played first grade yet and therefore the jury must be out at this stage.

Wisdom is stretching it a bit.....there are actually many to thank for our juniors.John Hopoate when he was briefly our Ball coach attracted a lot,Lambkin attracted many,Scott Fulton was part of the team.The reason why we have Hales as coach of Workers is his link to the west.
The biggest furphy is us raiding other clubs.Schuster may have had a scholarship or something similar but never played for their Matthews side. Gauca,Fainu bros,Funa,Fotu,Fifita,Matangi,Weekes,Koula,Titmuss etc...were never signed from other clubs,we picked them up from rugby or Guilford etc.....they may have been playing in the Parra district but not signed with Parra/Panthers etc...It was excellent recognition of talent by the above mentioned 3....
People are also not aware of the young local talent coming through the juniors like Palin,Cummins,Wilson,O'Donnell,Tuitavake,Vaivelata,Fulton brothers,youngest Hopoate.

Hey Smokin'. You seem to have your hands on the pulse. What's happened to Jack Birt, who looked quite a sprightly hooker in last years Under 18s comp? As I mentioned we are scratching for a hooker replacement if Fainu is unavailable and I wondered if Birt is in the reckoning.

I don't love the air of cockiness he has with his ball carrying. I hope he tidies that up before he makes his FG debut or he will be making a lot of errors.

The big key will be how he goes against defensive lines that can actually tackle, after he has made a bunch of tackles himself.

I think the most exciting part about that clip is the little combination he has going with Ben Turbo, Cliffy and Beaver style.

The kid has it all. If he translates that to first grade toughness, he'll be a star. Evasiveness, passing strategies, kicking skills a la Phil Blake, and I've seen good defensive strategies. And he's got speed. Actually I've never seen someone with quite the combination of skills of this kid. His running style is so fluid. even makes Andrew Johns look stilted in movements in comparison. If this kid does what he's been doing in the juniors, at the top level, we have someone very special in our ranks. And yes the Lyons-Menzies comparison with Schuster-Ben T. deserves comment.

I'm guessing Des might train that out of him. Must be useful at times though when he is in a position to offload.

He's got that instinctiveness that only the very best players have. You cant teach that kind of natural ability. You can see he's automatically considering his options well before he makes his move, and makes split second decisions with an ease other players would only dream of having. He's a natural. Just hope the big boys dont maul him and break his confidence. He'll need good protection from our forwards.

Walker is developing a good kicking game, so Schuster would need to shine in that department to gain a permanent first grade spot at five eighth. As far as expendable backs go, I could envisage Suli replacing Jorge on the wing if Walker returns to to the centres. Depth is building in the club with options in most positions. In a couple of years, it will be hard to retain all our talent.
Still think that Suli "s best position is centre though and no reason why his defensive reads can not improve a bit also .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4