Josh Schuster in 2020 ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Ok - there are some gun rookies at Manly who WILL train and TRIAL as part of the NRL side - none with bigger wraps than this bloke - Schuster.
Amazingly gifted with that extra time, has size, speed and evasion, big fend and ball skills beyond his years....personally rate him as good potentially as any Manly player I have seen over the past 35 years.
This does not automatically make a world class players, as many factors can override talent, but if he stays hungry, sky is the limit.
Firstly keen to see who thinks he will make the Top side in 2020 ?
If so, similar question to young Hoppa.....where ?
He is best suited to 5/8, but also doubles as a damaging backrower, though at NRL would be thrown in too deep through this impact zone to start a career...though could adjust in time and also has the ability to work as a centre.
I reckon he WILL get a go in 2020 and though many are claiming only if injury occurs, I won't be suprised to see Schuster force his way in, due to being to good to leave out, as this is 1 of those moments like when the last Manly dominance occurred over a decade ago, with a load of freakish talented players are coming through at the same time.
I agree with those who say "don't rush" them, but at the same time with this much ability if the time is right, also "don't hold them back"

Injuries ,injuries and more injuries.That's the only way all these young potential guns(Schuster,Baby Burbo,Baby Hoppa,Baby Fainu)get any game time soon.
And dont forget ,we have other Bigguns in Guacomole and Keppie even in front of these pups.
If they can grab the bull by the horns and make that position theirs ,then it leaves the powers that be with difficult questions (and better them than us).
As a fan you never want injuries ,but luckily for us at this moment in time we have a plethora in the wings waiting.Bring on 2020.
(One definite position would like to keep uninjured though is HB )DCE to lift another level again this year.

Last edited:
As always .... the big test for any age superstar is the 80 min grind of 1st grade .... that realisation that you may now only get 2-3 minutes of stardom a game .. with 77 - 78 minutes of grinding out a win comes as a big eye opener .... The best take it in their stride ... others falter .... mental toughness will be as important as any football talent .....

They will get their shot ..... good luck to them all ....

Injuries ,injuries and more injuries.That's the only way all these young potential guns(Schuster,Baby Burbo,Baby Hoppa,Baby Fainu)get any game time soon.
And dont forget ,we have other Bigguns in Guacomole and Keppie even in front of these pups.
If they can grab the bull by the horns and make that position theirs ,then it leaves the powers that be with difficult questions (and better them than us).
As a fan you never want injuries ,but luckily for us at this moment in time we have a plethora in the wings waiting.Bring on 2020.
(One definite position would like to keep uninjured though is HB )DCE to lift another level again this year.

I have a feeling regardless of injuries, 1-2 of these boys will force their way into the backline, based on talent or...an injury and once opportunity arises, will be hard to drop.
The forwards you mention in Keppie and Guocomole are potentially both in the 17 already to start the 2020 season, but as are forwards will not be competing for spots with these youngsters (Hoppa, Schuster, Burbo and Vuna).

I have a feeling regardless of injuries, 1-2 of these boys will force their way into the backline, based on talent or...an injury and once opportunity arises, will be hard to drop.
The forwards you mention in Keppie and Guocomole are potentially both in the 17 already to start the 2020 season, but as are forwards will not be competing for spots with these youngsters (Hoppa, Schuster, Burbo and Vuna).
I would like to think Keppie is a cert ,but when you look at our healthy line up ,you never know.

Some say that Manly could have gone all the way had Turbo not been injured. Maybe. But I also think we rely too much of DCE and Turbo and teams learn how to limit their involvement. There's some good potential in that backline already, but I don't think its quite premiership winning. It needs at least one or maybe two game breakers that take the pressure off our primary backline stars.

I personally think Walker is wasted at 5/8. I think Suli, if he continues to develop from what was seen late in the season is a keep. I've always thought Parker was a tough no nonsense type, defensively sound, but not fast. I could see him developing into an effective lock. Garrick is on the rise and a good goal kicker. He's safe I think. Taufua is a great metre gainer, but he's not going to score those spectacular tries, that win games. And then there's Ben T, Albert and Schuster, each with either speed to burn or ball skills rarely seen

Its a great position for Des to face but by year's end he may have to make some very difficult choices. Of course much will depend on the progress of the three youngsters and let's not forget Funa. If Manly want to keep these potential stars, and they show their worth this year, some in our back line are going to have to move position, face relegation or look for another club. If Albert, Schuster and Ben T. prove to be as good as their potential suggests, there is no way they will not find a place in the backline, though it may be possible that Schuster could play lock. So who goes?

I say we have best crop kids coming through for long time. Sione fainu, Schuster, albert hopoate and Ben turbo.
100% this - add an uninjured Vuna and the talent is off charts....then we have 2-3 young forwards who could be anything....you Fainu is training under the wing of Jake and Turbo and a prop with the world at his feet...

I say we have best crop kids coming through for long time. Sione fainu, Schuster, albert hopoate and Ben turbo.

All depends on their managers to an extent ( and how our cap is structured)
We all know Des is as loyal as they come to his incumbents and then some.
Rarely gives a youngster a go unless out of necessity or he thinks they're well ready - proven to an extent.
Seems a lot of youngsters these days want their potential $$$ reflected in a first grade spot or current contract upgrade.
A nice problem to have but a coach's legacy is on premierships not what position they leave the club in.
Whose spots do they take barring injuries?
Is these four fire and Funa too then ressies should be smashing it, if they're not then they may not get the call up.

All depends on their managers to an extent ( and how our cap is structured)
We all know Des is as loyal as they come to his incumbents and then some.
Rarely gives a youngster a go unless out of necessity or he thinks they're well ready - proven to an extent.
Seems a lot of youngsters these days want their potential $$$ reflected in a first grade spot or current contract upgrade.
A nice problem to have but a coach's legacy is on premierships not what position they leave the club in.
Whose spots do they take barring injuries?
Is these four fire and Funa too then ressies should be smashing it, if they're not then they may not get the call up.
Agree I say given our cap position we will drip feed into nrl over next few seasons

Exciting time.

This is one of the most exciting pre-seasons I can recall. Putting my "Des" and Nostradamus hats on I would say young Albert Hoppa might be a first cab off the rank.... likely in for Elliott. Ben T next inline for an injured George on the wing. Shuster in for Walker either as injured or moving to centres to replace an injured Parker / Suli. Funa might get a chance if we loose both Parker and Suli to injuries. Young Sione Fainu not sure he will get a run this year given the depth of forward talent we have. I cant actually recall us being in this position before. Challenge will be to keep all these young guys interested......and in the cap. I am sure Des has all this uppermost in his mind!!!

This is one of the most exciting pre-seasons I can recall. Putting my "Des" and Nostradamus hats on I would say young Albert Hoppa might be a first cab off the rank.... likely in for Elliott. Ben T next inline for an injured George on the wing. Shuster in for Walker either as injured or moving to centres to replace an injured Parker / Suli. Funa might get a chance if we loose both Parker and Suli to injuries. Young Sione Fainu not sure he will get a run this year given the depth of forward talent we have. I cant actually recall us being in this position before. Challenge will be to keep all these young guys interested......and in the cap. I am sure Des has all this uppermost in his mind!!!

Certainly the years 2005-8 was a remarkable build up of strength (also under Dessie's guidance), but the only other period I can recall when Manly's strength increased so potentialy dramatically and the expectations were high were during the 1971-73 period when players such as Eadie, Irvine, Branighan, Reilly, Randall, O'Neill, Dennis Ward, Max Brown and Krillich came together to supplement what we already had including Fulton. Of course it was because Arthurson opened the cheque book then and carefully selected some of the best talent around. We are far more constrained now, and the players we have coming through are all still young. But its potentially another golden period if Manly are sufficiently supported by willing TPAs and golf days.

Certainly the years 2005-8 was a remarkable build up of strength (also under Dessie's guidance), but the only other period I can recall when Manly's strength increased so potentialy dramatically and the expectations were high were during the 1971-73 period when players such as Eadie, Irvine, Branighan, Reilly, Randall, O'Neill, Dennis Ward, Max Brown and Krillich came together to supplement what we already had including Fulton. Of course it was because Arthurson opened the cheque book then and carefully selected some of the best talent around. We are far more constrained now, and the players we have coming through are all still young. But its potentially another golden period if Manly are sufficiently supported by willing TPAs and golf days.

And it is noteworthy that the only player that Des has brought to the club .... drumroll ..... is Morgan Boyle ... no wait ... he also signed Musgrove .... ****te ... forget that last one ....

Des is a super coach ... and he and his team will get the best out of the players ..... BUT .....

Credit where it is due ...... This team and all the up and comers are 100% the squad Barrett put together ... despite 3 years of Salary cap pain ...

PSSS ... Cue the numbnuts ... (not aimed at you Bear)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4