• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Like Saab, looks to be adding the missing ingredients in his game, But ever since shifty sherwin signed a 5 yr deal, always hated long deals. Footy players overall are better when playing for contracts. Being stable and comfortable should be about form and not a contract

Very few long contracts can be claimed as a success

manly al

First Grader
Thought that it was pleasing for Sabb just to have signed that contract extension [ sometime last season i think ] until 2026 .
Now until 29 , quite significant to say the least
Certainly pleasing that he has the confidence and satisfaction with the club to commit long term and if he can maintain his good improvement level and a quite reasonable run on the injury front , quite reassuring to have a player of his ability and even in some respects, as a game changing factor part of the club on a long term basis .
Not sure there is a real priority to somehow get to an even or slightly higher speed level for him and push himself too much and risk a muscle stress related training injury and when his present speed capacity is pretty good by any N R L standards .
Have Koula until season 26 apparently and would be good to have him on a longer term basis before not too long also

Rafferty

Mug punter
I hate long contracts! How can you possibly commit yourself for a period of 5-10 years into the future? It doesn't matter who the player is. It's madness!
I agree, there’s no real proof it’s good business, actually struggling to recall any examples of long term contracts that have proven to be astute, if anything there maybe evidence to the contrary. In saying that happy that Saab and Quac won’t be leaving the club any time soon.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
I hate long contracts! How can you possibly commit yourself for a period of 5-10 years into the future? It doesn't matter who the player is. It's madness!
I get what you’re saying Pete and I know this sounds ‘suck eggsish’, however I imagine that managing your salary cap is like a game of chess.

Or an on-field sporting contest, like any football code, or perhaps more pertinently test match cricket. The good captains and coaches are always thinking at least two to three steps ahead of their opponents.

Likewise with the cap. If you have a player you want to keep whose contract expires in 2026, like Saab’s until recently, why not extend? Because several other players who you might also want to keep, have contracts you will want to extend around that time. Some of them might be existing stars of the team, already on big contracts.

Others, up and comers, who will hopefully emphasise their worth in the next couple of years and therefore demand more money.

Manly will have to make decisions on the latter (in the next few years) on players like GCKT, Humphreys, Arthur, Vaega and Hopoate.

Signing Simpkin out until the end of 2026, further emphasises the need to manage the ‘chess pieces’ carefully.

Last edited:

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Long contracts are just madness in this environment where the NRL is all in on concussion. Any player could retire in 12 months and 5 years is a long time to carry that. Its no longer old players with existing injuries that could be a gamble

Anyone with a head.

Rocky

Bencher
Long contracts? It depends on the player and the price.

Would i give Matt Lodge a long contract? No fckn way.

Would i give a hardworking humble guy like Saab a 5yr contract at the right price that will cover his prime years? Absolutely

The Who

Journey Man
Long contracts are just madness in this environment where the NRL is all in on concussion. Any player could retire in 12 months and 5 years is a long time to carry that. Its no longer old players with existing injuries that could be a gamble

Anyone with a head.
In the case of medical retirements, to which you refer, surely there is financial coverage through an insurance/welfare scheme that does not impact a club's long term Cap.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In the case of medical retirements, to which you refer, surely there is financial coverage through an insurance/welfare scheme that does not impact a club's long term Cap.
I didnt think there was. Big hoo haa when sam burgess was pensioned off. The payer gets paid. There used to be a thing about pre existing injury when contracts was signed but i am completely unaware if that has been changed

Pretty sure the chooks carried jake friend and boyd cordner with cordner getting an exeption because he sustained it in origin

Good question, hopefully someone can shed light . My garden shed

Harmless27

Reserve Grader
The long contracts are an intersting one actually.....

There has been quite a bit of discontent about player managers and their influence.

Doesn't a long contract kind of remove the issue or manager agitation for moves etc?

Anyways.... for me, I love Saab.... i think its great to have the speed out wide - and to have a team with a reputation for it too.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Honestly how can anyone tell what the impact of the contract might be?

As an example by signing him to a long contract does that mean we are paying him less per year than what we would over say a 3 year period? Maybe there are clauses in there?

Honestly between this and the Ola contract my gut says that it is our way of reducing our year to year cap. Yes there are risks but it does appear to be some form of strategy

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Honestly how can anyone tell what the impact of the contract might be?

As an example by signing him to a long contract does that mean we are paying him less per year than what we would over say a 3 year period? Maybe there are clauses in there?

Honestly between this and the Ola contract my gut says that it is our way of reducing our year to year cap. Yes there are risks but it does appear to be some form of strategy
DCE contract was desperate
Both turbos reeked of panic and deperation , in hindsight i suppose.
Saab and Oku bot tartak clients

If it is a strategy from the outside it doesnt look club driven, more manager

We kind of did that strategy with keppie, strecthing him out for more years . Paseka also i think

Obviously the devil is in the detail but if they dont release detail then assumptions are made by fans to understand . They want fans vested and engaged , just part of the show

double hoops

First Grader
No idea what we paid or why.
But I'm just not a fan of lengthy contracts.
I can't see the need here and why we would.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16