• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What you want to see from a player is the willingness to work on their weaknesses. His defensive reads and kick returns were both poor at the start of his career and he has worked on both to the point he will soon be really good at both.

The talent and the work ethic and the desire are there with Saab.

He will be a faster Daniel Tupou very shortly.
His kick returns are much improved, it's like he enjoys it now. ( Better feeling winning the impact than being flat on your back)

The only thing holding this kid back is Guac and Koula who can both be too greedy. In 21 dce was hitting him with outside spreads similar to last night and he just burns hos outside players for pace. Def could be an origin Bolger in years to come.

Why the NRL’s fastest man is boxing at Revesby Workers’ Club for a ‘parmie and a beer’
Adrian Proszenko

In front of just a few hundred punters, and for only a few thousand dollars, Jason Saab will make his professional boxing debut at the Revesby Workers’ Club.

Given the risk is high and the reward is minimal, there appears little upside in Manly allowing one of its star players to trade punches in the middle of pre-season.

But for the man widely considered the fastest in rugby league, stepping into the ring against the unknown Kusitino Sireli on December 9 is about so much more than cash or cachet.

“Honestly, I thought I was going to get a chicken parmie and a beer after,” Saab quipped.

Saab was originally scheduled to fight - potentially against former Dragons teammate Zac Lomax - on a card arranged by No Limit, the promoters overseeing the career of Tim Tszyu.

When the timing didn’t allow that to occur, the 23-year-old didn’t hesitate at the chance of boxing in front of a much smaller audience.

“Not being the most physical player I can be and should be sometimes, I just thought boxing [training] was aiding that a bit,” Saab said. “The weeks that I did the training, I was a bit more physical on the field. I thought by doing this, I’m putting myself in a really uncomfortable position. It’s not about money for me, it’s a local show.

“I’m not making $20-$30k, it’s about testing myself as a person, testing my character to see what I’m really made of. I want to see how it transfers to my footy season when it comes to being physical and contact, being aggressive. It’s just to test myself and improve.”

Boxing coach Hassan El-Achrafi, who is also working with Sea Eagles teammates Josh Schuster and Josh Aloiai, has been honing Saab’s technique for the past two years. There’s a big difference between punching the pads and an opponent, but Manly coach Anthony Seibold didn’t hesitate in providing his blessing.

“I showed ‘Seibs’ I was on a card at Revesby and it didn’t change his mind at all,” said Saab, who is part of a fight card that includes former Samoan centre Joey Leilua.

“He was very happy for me to do it because he can see the effect it’s going to have on me, the positive impact. Of course there are going to be risks involved, but Seibs could see there is more good to come out of it than not, that it will help our footy team if I’m more physical.

“It’s all about my growth as a person. Even just training and sparring has brought out so much in me. I walk around differently, not like I’m arrogant, but just knowing I’ve been in those confrontations that you don’t get into every day as a normal person. It impacts you as a person, you’re just more confident. The whole fight is a reward for the work I’ve put in during the training camp and the sparring.”

Saab’s decision to box is all the more remarkable given that he was bullied at school. Well before he had filled out and grew to a two-metre giant, the Westfield Sports High graduate struggled with confidence and self-esteem. Now an established NRL player, he has no hesitation in taking on another physical challenge.

“I’m usually my hardest critic, so I don’t give myself much credit for the things I do,” he said.

“I guess sometimes when I look from the outside in, if I could go back to that kid in school who was scared to walk around the school, scared someone would say something to him or of getting picked on, I never thought I’d be doing the things I’m doing now.

“It’s just God’s plan. I realise I’m doing it to show kids what they can make of themselves. I don’t just owe it to the younger version of me, I owe it to kids going through that stuff now.

“I’m just trying to be the best athlete and person I can. If that means taking opportunities to box and play rugby league and the like, then so be it.”

Having already scored 51 tries in 69 games, Saab hopes his cross-code challenge will result in him putting together his best season to date.

“I have really high expectations of myself this year,” he said. “I want to make the [State of] Origin squad. I’m going to shoot for the moon this year, I want to achieve everything that’s possible.”

Good on him. I actually don't blame him for being a bit tentative at times, given his unique physique. I can't think of another player at top level with such long, spindly looking legs and I wonder if it's mostly his legs where he feels vulnerable getting pumelled by multiple forwards coming off our line?
Anyway it's good to hear he is working on the mental side of his game. Also interesting that Schu does that training too. Might be great for both of them?

Good on him. I actually don't blame him for being a bit tentative at times, given his unique physique. I can't think of another player at top level with such long, spindly looking legs and I wonder if it's mostly his legs where he feels vulnerable getting pumelled by multiple forwards coming off our line?
Anyway it's good to hear he is working on the mental side of his game. Also interesting that Schu does that training too. Might be great for both of them?
I'm really anti the whole footy players doing the boxing thing coz of the brain injury issues. It just seems crazy to me that we've moved to minimise the damage whilst playing (mandatory stand downs etc) but then players get belted around the head in a boxing match. However, this sounds more like a sparring match .......but still. Anyway, what is also interesting from the interview is his admission that it's helped with his aggression on the footy field. I wrote a post that I copped a bit of flack about when I said that I didn't think he would ever become an elite winger coz I thought he was too "soft". If the boxing hardens him up a bit (something that would be great to see when it comes to attacking the ball more with high kicks etc) that will certainly help with his goal to be a State of Origin player. He'll never make it at that level if he doesn't harden up. He'd get eaten alive. And I agree about Shu - I think the boxing is great for his fitness, if nothing else. I just hope they are both wearing head gear when they box.

Except head gear doesn't protect you from concussions.
Oh well, our players will be tough, brave, confident, and brain damaged. Ouch!
Yes, you're right about concussions coz the brain will still slosh around. I was thinking at least it would be better than nothing. Not doing it at all would be my call but it doesn't help that Seibs is supporting it.

I thought Saab was a big improver last year, became more physical. Still a way to go but if he continues with this attitude he could turn into one of the top wingers.
So looking forward to the treble combo of Turbo, Koula and Saab exploding through opposition backline defences. Think we could see a lot of individual try scoring records broken next season.

I think this will be a great move for Sabby to help toughen him up. Previously he has just been used as a ferrai and a finisher on our right wing and yes he may score tries but lacked run meters. But now hopefully after his stint of boxing he can add some muscle and aggression that will help him for post contact metres for kick returns, yardage meters out of his own end on plays 2 and 3 helping out the pack and aggression in contesting high balls.

A good player for him to idolise and do research for is Daniel Tupou. They are both tall men but Tupou despite his height has more size then Saab that he can strive for that helps him with play 2 and 3 plays. Another asset would be his aggression seen when last year both of them are the same height and Tupou bumped Saab out of the way and simply was stronger and wanted the ball more.

Last year that was a concern for Manly with Saab and Garrick as our wingers. They are both seen as flashy wingers who lack size for those yardage carries. this ultimately puts more pressure on our forward pack and especially this year with shu who doesn't take any or many hit ups as well as jake which is leading to fatigue. e.g. the amount of errors keepie, alioiai, tuilangi could be an example of this and why most of you guys say how we play off the back foot.

If you look at Penrith their system involves the back 3 running for 200m plus and center's 150. this allows middle forwards with energy resulting in line speed and more aggressive runs. this is why you see none of panthers forwards with most run meters because it's their back 5 doing the hard yards.

last year turbo when he played and koula would be the only 2 that would pass in the mark of run meters for their position. With parker barely running the ball with only 2 games over 100m for the whole season and saab and garrick averaging well under 200m and lack yardage hitups aggression.

Whereas, this season we could have tom, koula, garrick as he is playing centre and his efforts would be enough for that position, saab if this boxing stint is successful and also tuipolutu or Vaega who's body shape and role in the team is perfect to take yardage carriers and break tackles as they aren't gifted with speed, are strong and low centre of gravity. this means we can have a back 5 now that is willing to challenge the best teams in the comp and will help out the forward pack a lot.

Roger Fabri podcast with Saab & Xerri. A lot of chat about speed. Fabri said the only player who might beat Saab over 100 metres is Koula. Saab replied Koula would be ahead after 40 metres. Fabri also said Manly would win a NRL 4 x 100 metres relay.

Roger Fabri podcast with Saab & Xerri. A lot of chat about speed. Fabri said the only player who might beat Saab over 100 metres is Koula. Saab replied Koula would be ahead after 40 metres. Fabri also said Manly would win a NRL 4 x 100 metres relay.

I wonder who would be the other 2 in the relay, maybe Garrick and Tom.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8