• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The speed off the mark is what burns other players, not over the 100m, so that is the area I’d like to see tweaked.
You're right there, @Class of 96. Jason seems (to use an automotive analogy) to have a 'long diff ratio'. Great for effortless cruising at high speed (and top speed) but not necessarily quick off the mark... I think he needs the 2.78:1 changed over to a 3.08:1...!

I don’t really see what an extra 3m of speed would actually achieve if he is quicker than everyone else anyway.
Generally when wingers get in the clear it’s because of a pass or a linebreak and they’ve beaten their opposite number.
He’s quicker than the Hammer from the Cowboys, he showed that by running him down but the Hammer still scored.

I don’t really see what an extra 3m of speed would actually achieve if he is quicker than everyone else anyway.
Generally when wingers get in the clear it’s because of a pass or a linebreak and they’ve beaten their opposite number.
He’s quicker than the Hammer from the Cowboys, he showed that by running him down but the Hammer still scored.
Agreed, would rather he spent the time working on positional play and defensive technique as opposed to sprint training. He is already fast enough.

I thought Brett Stewart was one of the fastest. I read somewhere that he clocked a very fast 100m maybe at the NSW academy??

There's been plenty of quick players. Scott Donald could motor. Russell Gartner Bret Mullins. I guess the sprint coach is talking of elite speed over 100m, which footy players rarely need.

Agreed, would rather he spent the time working on positional play and defensive technique as opposed to sprint training. He is already fast enough.
I would prefer he worked on bringing the ball away from his own line (something reubs has done to great effect this year) He gets tackled and pushed back easily. Scoring tries is great and he's probably the best in space but doing the donkey work is 90% of a wingers job nowadays

You're right there, @Class of 96. Jason seems (to use an automotive analogy) to have a 'long diff ratio'. Great for effortless cruising at high speed (and top speed) but not necessarily quick off the mark... I think he needs the 2.78:1 changed over to a 3.08:1...!

In 1975, Allan Moffat during practice at Bathurst set his XB Falcon up with a very tall diff ratio and was the fastest down the old, Chase-less Conrod Straight by the proverbial country mile. While he was hitting upwards of 260 km/h in his big Ford, Brocky and Colin Bond in their Torana's were struggling to get near 250. But, as Moffat found, there was a drawback. He couldn't match them going up The Mountain because the tall diff was built for top speed, not acceleration.

Rugby league is a lot like that. Its a rare thing (well, it used to be at least) when players would actually run the full length of the field to score. Mostly its acceleration over the first 20-40 that counts and top speed over about 75 metres. That's where players like Phil Blake were most effective. Blakey didn't have outright pace over 100, but from 22 to 22 (as it was in those days), he was virtually untouchable.

If there was a 100 metre match race between Saab, Addo-Carr, Roberts, and I'll add in Xavier Coates ... I reckon Roberts over the first 40 (he's like Blake. Quick off the mark, but can't maintain it), but Saab would win over the full length. Fox is more a short distance (75m) sprinter who does struggle in the back end of his runs (hence how Phillip Sami ran him down. He kept going while Fox died on his run), whereas Saab just seems to have the ability to maintain his top speed for longer.

Last edited:
Old memories here, mostly a reserve grade winger from Manly, c'mon, sharpen that memory. Darren Riley. Played 4 first grade games. Do you remember him. I saw one game he got the ball in our quarter and took off and it was like watching Bolt. He just few. Peter C off here in 2010: We also had a player in the late eighties called Darren Riley who only played a handful of first grade games, he was a professional runner who won several Gift events, he would probably be the fastest of the lot.
https://manlygoldeneagles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Darren-Riley-1989.jpg

As an area of improvement I'd like to see a bit more agility rather than more outright top speed.

He'll already burn anyone else when put in a situation where there is open space in front of him, which is a huge asset to the team.

But... he doesn't really accelerate or change direction very quickly so he's a lot less effective in traffic which is most of the time.

In 1975, Allan Moffat during practice at Bathurst set his XB Falcon up with a very tall diff ratio and was the fastest down the old, Chase-less Conrod Straight by the proverbial country mile. While he was hitting upwards of 260 km/h in his big Ford, Brocky and Colin Bond in their Torana's were struggling to get near 250. But, as Moffat found, there was a drawback. He couldn't match them going up The Mountain because the tall diff was built for top speed, not acceleration.

Rugby league is a lot like that. Its a rare thing (well, it used to be at least) when players would actually run the full length of the field to score. Mostly its acceleration over the first 20-40 that counts and top speed over about 75 metres. That's where players like Phil Blake were most effective. Blakey didn't have outright pace over 100, but from 22 to 22 (as it was in those days), he was virtually untouchable.

If there was a 100 metre match race between Saab, Addo-Carr, Roberts, and I'll add in Xavier Coates ... I reckon Roberts over the first 40 (he's like Blake. Quick off the mark, but can't maintain it), but Saab would win over the full length. Fox is more a short distance (75m) sprinter who does struggle in the back end of his runs (hence how Phillip Sami ran him down. He kept going while Fox died on his run), whereas Saab just seems to have the ability to maintain his top speed for longer.
You can see Saab is different level fast. Most all know once he gets in the open, he’s not being run down from behind. Hopefully he gets that chance a few times tonight!

Fastest players to play for MWSE (before Saab) over 50 ~ 60 mtrs

1. Les Hanigan ~ long legs with a v long stride the man was a freak
2. Ken Irvine
2. Russell Gartner / Brett Stewart
3. Kerry Boustead
Saab is the quickest I have seen, but it's not "off the mark" speed obviously

No front on defence from Les, none !, but he was capable of the most amazing cover defence on the opposite wing of the field ~ seemed to cross the field in about 7 strides
1967 ~ 69

Fastest players to play for MWSE (before Saab) over 50 ~ 60 mtrs

1. Les Hanigan ~ long legs with a v long stride the man was a freak
2. Ken Irvine
2. Russell Gartner / Brett Stewart
3. Kerry Boustead
Saab is the quickest I have seen, but it's not "off the mark" speed obviously

No front on defence from Les, none !, but he was capable of the most amazing cover defence on the opposite wing of the field ~ seemed to cross the field in about 7 strides
1967 ~ 69
For acceleration maybe the best were Phil Blake and Johnny Gibbs? Gibbs was lightning!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4