[Resurrected] Jarryd Hayne, the (forgotten) locked up man

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This article states he was originally sentenced to 5 years 9 months & could now face up to 14 years at resentencing.

I assume the maximum of 14 years was applicable in his first sentencing?

14 years is just the maximum available for that offence, he won't get that. The first trial and sentence won't come into it, he'll be sentenced completely afresh.

14 years is just the maximum available for that offence, he won't get that. The first trial and sentence won't come into it, he'll be sentenced completely afresh.
I would have thought that time already served would come into consideration for whatever the new sentencing would be, possibly as a reduction to the new sentencing in total.

I have read in one of the ABC articles that "Hayne spent nine months behind bars after being found guilty at his second trial in 2021, and jailed for a five years and nine months." Because of that time already served, if say he was given the same sentence again, I would have thought that he would only be in for the five years because he had already served the nine months. Obviously I am wrong. :rolleyes:

I would have thought that time already served would come into consideration for whatever the new sentencing would be, possibly as a reduction to the new sentencing in total.

I have read in one of the ABC articles that "Hayne spent nine months behind bars after being found guilty at his second trial in 2021, and jailed for a five years and nine months." Because of that time already served, if say he was given the same sentence again, I would have thought that he would only be in for the five years because he had already served the nine months. Obviously I am wrong. :rolleyes:
Absolutely correct Jethro, he must be given full credit for all time he's already spent in custody in relation to the charge. Also, after a retrial you don't normally get a longer sentence than you got first time, so he may end up with something a bit smaller, plus credit for time served. So might end up having to go back inside for a further couple of years or so, before being released to parole supervision.

No doubt there will be an appeal and even possibly a judge only re-trial. Would be very difficult to find anyone out there without a pre conceived opinion of whether he is guilty or not. I'm sure Cunneen would argue that it is impossible in New South Wales for her client to have a fair trial. If bail is denied and straight to sentence then his time already in gaol would be taken into account, and I'm sure the financial hardships of selling all of his assets to defend himself would be looked at as well. I'm sure the mental trauma (yadda yadda yadda) and head noises, and how he wasn't hugged enough as a child would come out and the sob stories would begin.

Respectfully, who really cares about his financial hardships, trauma, etc?

He's been found guilty, so should be punished accordingly. (Worth noting it's not the first time he's been accused of such things).

JH deserves what he gets.
The court does. It's a joke.

Respectfully, who really cares about his financial hardships, trauma, etc?

He's been found guilty, so should be punished accordingly. (Worth noting it's not the first time he's been accused of such things).

JH deserves what he gets.
Agree. The whole thing is bloody sad but a court has found him guilty of a terrible crime. He is responsible for that and he deserves the consequences of that.

In all of this - and I will put it as delicately as I can

How the hell do you make a woman bleed and say it was consensual? That is the part that has never been explained away in all of this. That part has never been debated by the defence either....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6