Jamie Lyon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

willstyles

Bencher
Trying to edge away from the current lot of topics floating around with something a touch different...

I've read several places recently people be critical of Killer because of his speed. Is he really that slow? He might not be as fleet-footed as he was back in '01 when he could really motor for Parra, but put him in open space and he can still light it up, right?

It's unusual but I've never thought of him as slow. Matai, possibly, but not Killer. Deceptively quick.

(And the rest: he's the second best player in our team and aren't we glad to have him etc etc).

I think he carried a bit of niggle through most of last season which wouldn't have helped. Obviously he has already had an issue with an ankle in the AllStars game so we may not see him at his best this year either. In his prime he was surprisingly quick, let's hope he can recapture some of that.

People just look at a physique at times, and rate their speed off that

You rarely see Lyon run down so that shows he still has some gas, and he would maybe be in the group that doesn't really look like they are motoring then they are. The best example of a guy like that was Peachey, never looked to be moving at any great pace with his running style

I would say he is deceptively quick, also quite quick off the mark and has an uncanny ability to know where the ball is going to end up.

How many tries over the last couple of years has he scored from chasing kicks through.Don't give a s#*t about slow rumours.There's no centre in the world i'd swap him with.
Matai's not the quickest centre about,but give me skill,defence,experience than speed any day.
Snake coming back gives speed we did'nt have last year,while Robbo has/is been a champion,i'm wondering how his pace is going to be over the next couple of seasons.Wolfie has the other wing covered for speed.Then there's several quick young blokes like Hoppa,Oldfield and Whare.

So presuming Snake still has his zip,there's not to much lack of speed in Manly's well balanced backline...

Nthn NSW link said:
How many tries over the last couple of years has he scored from chasing kicks through.Don't give a s#*t about slow rumours.There's no centre in the world i'd swap him with.
Matai's not the quickest centre about,but give me skill,defence,experience than speed any day.
Snake coming back gives speed we did'nt have last year,while Robbo has/is been a champion,i'm wondering how his pace is going to be over the next couple of seasons.Wolfie has the other wing covered for speed.Then there's several quick young blokes like Hoppa,Oldfield and Whare.

So presuming Snake still has his zip,there's not to much lack of speed in Manly's well balanced backline...
yep - i'd agree with that.

He has enough speed to do his job - whether he is a fast as others or not is only part of the equation.

He is pure class. Freakish timing and skills, and a genuine match winner.

A rugby league colossus in my opinion.

Thank god (or Crusher at least) that he is on our team.

My boss John Harvey who lead our forward pack around in the 70's discovered Jamie Lyon when he was captain coach of wee waa.
He originally tried to send him to north Sydney but the recruitment manager was too lazy to come out and have a look at him play on harves advise so harves rang crusher. Crusher flew out, To check him out but they swapped the 2 centers jerseys around as a joke so that Lyon  was wearing the other opposite one to crushers apparent player. Crusher noticed that the player he was watching was **** house but said that the other centre in Lyon scored a few tries kicked goals from everywhere and won them the match, needless to say the had a few beers afterwards and the rest is history

Northern Rhino link said:
My boss John Harvey who lead our forward pack around in the 70's discovered Jamie Lyon when he was captain coach of wee waa.
He originally tried to send him to north Sydney but the recruitment manager was too lazy to come out and have a look at him play on harves advise so harves rang crusher. Crusher flew out, To check him out but they swapped the 2 centers jerseys around as a joke so that Lyon  was wearing the other opposite one to crushers apparent player. Crusher noticed that the player he was watching was s**t house but said that the other centre in Lyon scored a few tries kicked goals from everywhere and won them the match, needless to say the had a few beers afterwards and the rest is history

... and then didn't he go to Parra; and then back to the bush; and then to England; and then to Manly. I'm trying to follow the time line here. He must of been a very young captain coach. Help me here Rhino.

captainskin link said:
[quote author=Northern Rhino link=topic=186687.msg320485#msg320485 date=1299503812]
He originally tried to send him to north Sydney but the recruitment manager was too lazy to come out and have a look at him play on harves advise so harves rang crusher. Crusher flew out, To check him out but they swapped the 2 centers jerseys around as a joke so that Lyon  was wearing the other opposite one to crushers apparent player. Crusher noticed that the player he was watching was s**t house but said that the other centre in Lyon scored a few tries kicked goals from everywhere and won them the match, needless to say the had a few beers afterwards and the rest is history

... and then didn't he go to Parra; and then back to the bush; and then to England; and then to Manly. I'm trying to follow the time line here. He must of been a very young captain coach. Help me here Rhino.
[/quote]
I think Rhino means John Harvey was captain/coach of Wee Waa when Jamie Lyon was a junior.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
People just look at a physique at times, and rate their speed off that

You rarely see Lyon run down so that shows he still has some gas, and he would maybe be in the group that doesn't really look like they are motoring then they are. The best example of a guy like that was Peachey, never looked to be moving at any great pace with his running style
Steve Renouf was another.

Northern Rhino link said:
My boss John Harvey
He was a very interesting player. Do you know what his connection is with Norths? I know he came through into first grade with us. Then the Roosters poached him I think after he helped us win the 78 comp. Any idea why he dropped out of that kangarooo tour?

John Harvey and his cousin were in my year throughout high school at Manly Boys' High.  He's as local as they come.

I'd have killer for his defense.  I always feel secure when he's on the field.  Was the same feeling in Menzies time.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2