Jamie Lyon Goal Kicking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Technical Coach said:
Modesty dictates i should not bask in all this glory----media training 101 states in moments like these i should deflect the compliments to my team-mates, fans and coaching staff for believing in me.

Ok i should retire at the top of my game and move on to greener pastures this technical stuff is way too easy and not challenging enough.

Thanks TC well done. Who's the next player you are going to work on. Wolf,Horo,Starling maybe Tommy S need some polishing on their games.

I'm probably not the only one who watched each conversion with growing disbelief. Then belief. On ya Killer! Superb kicking.

mickqld said:
Technical Coach said:
Modesty dictates i should not bask in all this glory----media training 101 states in moments like these i should deflect the compliments to my team-mates, fans and coaching staff for believing in me.

Ok i should retire at the top of my game and move on to greener pastures this technical stuff is way too easy and not challenging enough.

Thanks TC well done. Who's the next player you are going to work on. Wolf,Horo,Starling maybe Tommy S need some polishing on their games.

I think i might take the time to work on myself and allow the coaching staff to take over without my assistance.

Next home game my goal is to be one of the fans and familiarize myself with the "Manly Clap Clap Clap" routine, i just can't seem to get the timing right alone at home being a keyboard coach.

Might record some footage from behind the posts edit it just before half time with all the areas that need improving jump the fence as the players are walking off and like a crazed fan beg DCE or Foran to watch these clips "i need this guys i need this opportunity".

Ok I actually have some expertise in this area, not just in rugby league kicking but soccer, I coached both (kicking in league).

First of keeping your head tucked and eyes down will have one result and one result only, the ball will go lower, in fact if he did this more often than not he would struggle to get it over the crossbar.

You are correct about the left foot he plants it wide at times, there are two reasons for this that I can see, one I think it's from an injury, if you watch closely enough he walks with his feet in 10 - 2 position and a slight limp. Probably Achilles, or ball of his foot.

The other is he is trying for too much power, the follow through is important only in that you need to judge it correctly. A league ball is not like a golf ball and reacts differently to follow through, in fact follow through can tend to roll the ball as your foot pushes round it slightly.

If you are right footed, and you try to kick the ball too hard, the ball will always go to far to the left, this is because you try to push it too hard and plant your left foot too wide as you try for too much pivot and power. The effect is you lean too fat to the left and your foot goes too far round the ball to the right......

What he needs to do is go for less power. Try if your self kick a ball trying for the hardest you can and see what happens, then try kicking it not going for any real height or distance just for a place don't strain yourself just kick it.

It will be sooooooo much more accurate.

Unfortunately there isn't a cure at this age really and I'm happy enough with his kicking not the best but not the worst. If sooner have him in the team kicking some goals than have hodgkinson in the team at all.

That's not the best description but it's more or less what is happening.

He does need to lean forward a little more and more upright but that is more about him going for distance

I'm not saying lock your head and chin down to the point of breaking your jaw and overly restricting the flow of the swing arc but more than what Jamie does.

I know where you are coming from though it is the same issue in golf and players go overly crazy keeping their head down and cramping themselves.

Watch Maloney and Taylor for a good guide.

Basic rules for kicking

To kick high look up (it makes you lean back and strike the ball lower and upwards)
To kick low look down (you lean forward and strike the ball whilst over it, pushing it down )

It only requires a little looking down and at the ball for this to happen.

He needs to not try for maximum force and stay a little more upright rather than leaning

Dan said:
If you are right footed, and you try to kick the ball too hard, the ball will always go to far to the left, this is because you try to push it too hard and plant your left foot too wide as you try for too much pivot and power.

The effect is you lean too fat to the left and your foot goes too far round the ball to the right......

Which is it? Lean or fat?

Sorry, what a childish response to a well thought out and effort post in a terrible attempt for a like.

So hurry up and click it.

el oh el

These days with kicking tees and high ball placement looking up or down to achieve a low or high trajectory is not all that important even though it will still help. In the old days using sand and lower ball placement in relation to the ground i totally agree.

As mentioned previously his front foot on wide out kicks is not close enough to the ball and his problems are magnified by the foot placement not being square to the ball. Trying to kick too hard often causes the last stride to be too long and not planted square increasing the chances of turning the foot outwards.

When Jamie is in a comfortable kicking position his front foot is placed closer and more square to the ball so i don't think it is an injury issue affecting his technique otherwise it would happen with most kicks.

I also think he allows the angle of the kick to play games with his mind. The way i approached wide out kicks is by turning the posts 45 degrees and aiming to the right post for my draw.

By imagining i am always kicking in front no matter what angle i was kicking from helped keep my technique in check with the same approach and mentality.

The best kickers create good downward compression at impact which reduces the amount of movement away from the target. The 80-88% kickers tend to not even worry about where the ball is heading for a longer period of time after contact has been made so focused on staying down and following through towards the target.

98% of all football kicking is a sub- conscious action, the same as bike riding. note the incredible accuracy of soccer corners, free-kicks and even general play. A high percentage of all grade soccer players can kick a ball on the run and hit a team mate on the chest 50m away, often allowing for lead, and all computed and processed in a heartbeat. And performed with either left or right foot.

And all done without the nonsense of measuring run-ups and twisting, dancing, bending over to a 45 degree angle and footstomping line dancing.

The more you measure the more you remove from the sub-conscious into the conscious the less you achieve. Try riding a bike and consciously think of each action.

Mike Eden used to just turn his back, walk away, turn around, check angles by sight, then just kicked the ball. Depending on which side of the field with his left or right foot. In 1980 his success was 80% with the old heavy balls.

You will not have a subconscious action unless you are confident in your technique to start with. Repetitive practice of good technique creates muscle memory allowing the mind to be free of distracting technical thought during the kick process.

I do think many kickers over-do the measured run up and long pauses but each to their own, in the end routine is good and should be encouraged.

All i think about just before ball impact is good ankle lock and making sure my follow through is pointed towards the target as long as possible which helps keep my swing arc on the correct path even before impact.

Jamie is not a natural kicker so getting him to understand his technique better will see good improvements-----a natural kicker with a good technique should not need coaching.

Little john kicks it nice and straight, just not straight at the goal posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4