[Resurrected] Jackson Hastings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NewsLtd reporting that Jackson is heading back to NRL next year and will be joining an 'out of town' club....

can't see him going to NQ or NZ so that would, I imagine, leave Knights, Penrith, Canberra, Titans and maybe Wests Tigers...

Canberra look pretty set (coz I don't reckon hes better than Sam Williams or Jack Wighton), Knights could be looking to replace Kurt Mann, WT lose Benji next year, Penrith won't have Maloney and Titans have got one good 5/8 and one crap 1/2 that is on HUGE money.... hmmmm....

Don't see a role for him at Titans (and not sure they are exactly out-of-town anyway), WT have Reynolds as back-up, Penrith has Tyrone May (probably similar talent imo) and Hastings played lower grades at Roosters so he would probably get along well with Pearce (birds of a feather and all that)....

I'm going with Newcastle.... thoughts....
Canberra have apparently signed pommy half ,penrith are banking on jerome luai.Melb,Newcastle ,cowboys I guess.

What about Brisbane? Turpin looks the goods but Seggy is a stop gap and McCullough is done imo.

Trent Robinson had previously shown Hastings the door at the Roosters, when he was a regular first grader.

Was he wrong too?

He wasn't shown the door at Easts. He was dropped because they had talent they thought was better suited. Hastings left the club of his own accord. No question Hastings had his problems, but compared with a lot of players in the comp, his issues were small change. No question Barrett was probably right to drop him to reserves, and it was that which Hastings said impacted most on him. But to exile him was an inept decision. Hastings performance in England showed what his potential is. A good coach would have found a way to change his attitude and no doubt the Salford coach knew how to do that. Hastings was a work in progress. The fact he's now going gangbusters shows a little more patience and the right coach, would have turned him around.

Disagree on that, I think Des would have sorted his attitude out straight away rather than being coached by someone who wanted to be a booze brother.

Hang on.

Jackson was coached by Trent Robinson and given his marching orders from the Roosters.

So is Trent Robinson now a sh*t coach because he didn't sort the kids attitude?

I think he is clearly an example of a light bulb having to go off in his own head to get his act together.

He wasn't shown the door at Easts. He was dropped because they had talent they thought was better suited. Hastings left the club of his own accord. No question Hastings had his problems, but compared with a lot of players in the comp, his issues were small change. No question Barrett was probably right to drop him to reserves, and it was that which Hastings said impacted most on him. But to exile him was an inept decision. Hastings performance in England showed what his potential is. A good coach would have found a way to change his attitude and no doubt the Salford coach knew how to do that. Hastings was a work in progress. The fact he's now going gangbusters shows a little more patience and the right coach, would have turned him around.

From what has gone around the traps, although he was not sacked by the Roosters, it was very obvious he had serious issues with the playing group.

He was also let go by the Dragons for fighting another player, I believe?

Really happy for the kid and glad he is going so well. But let's not change history to suit an agenda.

I don't know the full story about Hastings past but I think there is a lot being written that I question.

Firstly he was not kicked out of St George. He never played first grade with them and was in fact their star junior. He signed with SC , rejecting offers from SG, NQ and Newcastle, who all offered contracts. He played a couple of seasons at SC but SC with a wealth of players resulted in him finding it difficult to get a start. He had Pearce at half, Keary at 5/8 and Friend at hooker by the start of 2017. SC also had a lot of time for Radley who had been a star hooker for them in the juniors coming through.

Robinson agreed that Hastings had issues fitting in, but clearly stated that Hastings didn't do anything wrong. He was released from his last year of this contract to come to Manly for opportunity because he saw he was several rungs down the ranking at SC who were developing a powerful side. Remember SC was also the side that let Mitchell Pearce go for Cronk.

Hastings had his opportunities at SC when they didn't have an established five eighth and Pearce could play half or five eighth. But when they bought Keary, he could obviously see he wouldn't be getting a first grade start. This is all covered more or less in Wikipedia It seems that the kid is being painted as a bad dude when in fact he was just a troubled young fellow who wanted to play first grade and show what he could do. Barrett gave him little opportunity to do that in his 2 years at Manly, even if he was responsible for bringing him to Manly.

I think its a bit revisionist to suggest it was all Hastings fault. He certainly wasn't faultless and should have pulled his head in. But I think we forget too quickly the chaos of 2018 when Manly were a shambles. Many of us consistently questioned selections, tactics, fitness etc. There were growing problems with other players as well. Tom Wright was virtually ignored, Suli was overweight and lacking commitment, Walker was not coping at 5/8, Taupau has actually indicated that he was near leaving until Hasler took over, Lane wanted out (he supported Hastings). I'm not blaming Barrett entirely, because there were other factors, but he lost the plot in my opinion. He may in time become a good coach (I thought he had potential early on), but it was obvious he didn't know how to handle the players effectively, or the problems in management, injuries etc. He was likable, but lacked the authority and discipline Hasler brings. Hastings was just one poorly handled issue in many.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6