[Resurrected] Jackson Hastings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Silvertails consistently question selections, tactics, fitness etc. every year :)

But not meaning to take away from your point. Good on Hastings for looking to have turned things around. Obviously has talent, but whether good enough for NRL maybe the future will tell. Maybe Hasler may feel he could get the best out of him, maybe he doesn't think he would be worth pursuing, who knows.

Silvertails consistently question selections, tactics, fitness etc. every year :)

But not meaning to take away from your point. Good on Hastings for looking to have turned things around. Obviously has talent, but whether good enough for NRL maybe the future will tell. Maybe Hasler may feel he could get the best out of him, maybe he doesn't think he would be worth pursuing, who knows.

Yeah we do question some selections, tactics and fitness etc.....but by and large that died down a lot this year. It was almost a weekly thing from 2016-2018.

We knew that Ferris was a fraud as a strength and fitness "guru" and it showed. While at the same time a lot of Barrett's selections left a lot to be desired as did his tactics and lack of anything resembling a game plan or even a back up plan when things went wrong.

Under Donny (and probably the fear of the Wrath of Des), the players looked and played like they were a LOT fitter this year while the teams resurgence under Des' proven coaching speaks volumes.

As for Jackson Hastings.....I'm not nor have ever been part of the team so I have no idea other than hearsay about any behavioural problems with him. But I do feel that he wasn't really given a chance under Barrett (a few others can lay claim to that also). Could he have thrived under Des? Who knows, maybe, maybe not. But he's doing alright for himself in the ESL so good luck to the bloke. Though if he ever does come back to the NRL I have a feeling it won't be at Manly. That ship has sailed.

We knew that Ferris was a fraud as a strength and fitness "guru" and it showed. While at the same time a lot of Barrett's selections left a lot to be desired as did his tactics and lack of anything resembling a game plan or even a back up plan when things went wrong.

Under Donny (and probably the fear of the Wrath of Des), the players looked and played like they were a LOT fitter this year while the teams resurgence under Des' proven coaching speaks volumes.

If you think Donny and Des are tough, one time I was late to practice and the coach made me run laps.

The coach was my Dad.....

And he drove me to practice!

Silvertails had every justification in questioning tactics, fitness etc. Firstly it should be noted that the team that comfortably made the finals this year is almost the same team that came within a hairs breadth of earning their first wooden spoon. Secondly those laying and coaching rugby league are no different than any of is. We tend to raise them on a pedestal because they happen to have a couple of skills that raise them above the masses in specific areas. But in most respects they have the same feelings, desires, flaws, fears etc as we all do, its just glorified by the media and our perspective of them. Many of the players are just kids not long out of school and I remember being 21 and doing some pretty dumb things like most of us do, and being pretty emotional at times if I felt there was an injustice, even if it was just my perspective. Didn't make me bad, just immature and inexperienced. Thirdly coaching is a totally different skill to playing. Some of the best coaches were average footballers, some didn't even play the game, or play it beyond school teams. There is an assumption that being a top player makes a top coach. It doesn't. Some on this forum as I've said before could probably be better coaches than some of the coaches out there. Coaching is about being outside looking in. Playing is about inside, looking out. A great doctor, dentist, mechanic, garbologist doesn't make a great administrator. Different skill entirely

I am disappointed that we didn't see the best of Hastings in a Manly jumper. I know there are many theories and suggested reasons for him not fitting in but I can't help feeling we missed a huge opportunity and during a time when we really needed another gun half. I still can't believe that Barrett threw him under a bus during that infamous press conference at Brookvale. But that train sadly has gone as has Barrett. I thought that press conference may have destroyed the young fellow's career but to his credit he has earned himself another opportunity.

Let’s also not forget the ESL is a fairly big step down from the NRL.

I remember Jackson was going pretty well at Blacktown Workers and that’s about the quality you get in England.

He might come home , play for another team and just be average.

So a kid took some time adapting to first grade?

How many of you on here were amazing in your first jobs...especially in your early 20’s (add in some extra spice if you come a tough upbringing like he did)

What gets me is how quick so many people are to write off a kid (like Parker) so early in their career

The times when everyone employed the vaunted “Cliffy Young Shuffle” lol

I can't speak for what its like in NSW.....but running laps in SA more often than not means running laps around an oval that is anywhere from 150-180 metres long and anywhere up to 130 metres wide. 400s here are more like 6-700s lol

Someone needs to track down Barrett and drag him down to the Corso so we can all get on with our lives :)
giphy.gif

So a kid took some time adapting to first grade?

How many of you on here were amazing in your first jobs...especially in your early 20’s (add in some extra spice if you come a tough upbringing like he did)

What gets me is how quick so many people are to write off a kid (like Parker) so early in their career
Yeah, sometimes it's just a matter of time (to mature) and opportunity. Good on him for starting to live up to his potential. We'll never know just how good he might be until he comes back to the NRL, but you can't blame him if coming back to Australia isn't high on his list of priorities right now.

Just wonder how Hastings may have gone as a back up on the bench for Fainu with his undoubted skill set and if he had knuckled down last season . Considering also that Luke would have been offered some reasonable contract amount as a back up 9 for next season at Manly . Hastings no doubt would presumably be on some enhanced money now in the English S L and probably also is better suited there playing his natural creative type game as a 6 , with more opportunity to read the play over there . Would "t be the first Aussie player to find some better opportunity and some form of redemption over there . Hope that he continues to do well and full credit to him for turning his life and footy playing around ..

Just wonder how Hastings may have gone as a back up on the bench for Fainu with his undoubted skill set and if he had knuckled down last season . Considering also that Luke would have been offered some reasonable contract amount as a back up 9 for next season at Manly . Hastings no doubt would presumably be on some enhanced money now in the English S L and probably also is better suited there playing his natural creative type game as a 6 , with more opportunity to read the play over there . Would "t be the first Aussie player to find some better opportunity and some form of redemption over there . Hope that he continues to do well and full credit to him for turning his life and footy playing around ..
He was sharp out of dummy half the few chances he got and could cover in the halves. Good on him!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6