It's Ok, we can't win every season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
I'm not suggesting the sky is falling in here. I know our recent form is largely as a result of injuries & suspension. I am quite certain we will finish somewhere between 5th & 8th.

But......the simple fact is with our new Toovey defensive pattern we are simply not a top 4 side. It isn't helped by all the contract stuff either.

I think we will be a force again in a year or two, once Tooves has learnt the hard way and we have had a mini rebuild, but I now accept the reality of 2012. I think I can now watch the games to the end without throwing items of furniture at the TV.

Rant It's Ok, we can't win every season

I'm hearing you Ralphie, but **** it'd be nice if we did..:D

Disappointing alot of kids being given bloodied early, much like 2004 to 06, we could make the bottom end of 8 and make a late run. There is alot of teams on 3 wins. We simply have no depth. No rodney, no robbo, joe playing injuries, the Stewarts on injuries plus kieran, rosey up fit.

Wingers worry me, wolfy won't jump for high ball. Whare seems ready to take one spot. Look it is typical young display brilliant one week next flat full of errors we need gifty.

Despite our rollercoaster form, there is still 19 rounds. Hopefully once (if) we overcome our injuries we will have a better performing and consistent team.

We join a long list of clubs on a rollercoaster at the start of this season. We are certainly still in this.

Its been a tough year, but i am sure we can improve.

We are still in it to our eye balls, a 3 from 7 start is ordinary but not all doom & gloom. The biggest disappointment is breaking our winning streak at Fortress Brookvale.
A win over the scumdogs next round will have us back on track & will boost everyone's spirits!!

Mals said:
We are still in it to our eye balls, a 3 from 7 start is ordinary but not all doom & gloom. The biggest disappointment is breaking our winning streak at Fortress Brookvale.
A win over the scumdogs next round will have us back on track & will boost everyone's spirits!!

I hear what you are saying, but what if we lose the next three to the dishlickers, riff at home & then the drongos. At the moment I'm not confident of beating anyone.

When we get stewart back in the No1 then you will see a huge improvement in defence in regards to line breaks especially.

Whare is mute back there, Stewy drives the boys into position.

Well balanced thoughts but I can't get my head around the title of this thread. It isn't ok and we could/should win. :)

I win every season, because i just support the team and enjoy the ride. Winning and losing doesn't affect my week, I get massive enjoyment having a great team like manly to support

The family has fun on game days, creating platters to munch on, and having a couple of beers, and making flash non alcaholic drinks for my son.We spend time on the preparation, sometimes we have watched the game in an inside tent or cubby,inside and out

We sometimes have first scorer treats , and we get a few players each

We make it an event, never stress if we lose , we try to see a game or 2 around holidays each year

So essentially as long as manly are in the comp, our winter has an extra component that ensures we are winners, at all times

Ralphie, I think you're being a tad harsh on Toovs. He's inherited an aging front row who just weren't there on Saturday night. Plus a horror injury toll and a scheduling rort. Tired old players showed their weariness. We'll have a fair share of wins and be there at the end. More than I can say for many teams.

The last time Manly were defending Premiers (2009) they lost their opening 4 matches, won the next two, then lost the one after that. That's a 2 and 5 start. Lots of injuries then, but even more this year and a suspension to one of our best players as well. We are one game better off than we were in 2009 after 7 rounds even though the almighty Des was coach. The point I'm trying to make is that Tooves could be doing as well as is possible under the circumstances. Hasler is a great coach, maybe even the best coach, and he managed just two wins from the first seven rounds the season after winning a premiership and playing in the UK. With the squad of players Manly has it would be foolish to write them off unless its mathematically impossible for them to make it.

If you string five together in this comp, you go from zero to hero.

I'm not worried about our position on the table, although I am a little peeved over our forwards performance of late, some of them should have a good look in the mirror after last weeks effort.

My biggest concern is the points we are leaking each week, defence isn't great and our attack at times seems flat.

On the up side and yes there is an upside, there are signs of brilliance also. I wouldn't be too harsh on the team I am still hopeful they will be on the up again especially when we have our full healthy lineup.

Funny that we have lost to struggling teams, Gummies, slime and the titts. A loss on Saturday hopeful means we beat the mutts and that would mean a lot more to me.

Fair call Ralphie & I can see merit in your thread but I view it very differently. I still think Manly will beat the Storm come GF day.
Totally agree that the defence is down but I dont feel its so much the pattern , more the commitment.
Tooves has been around this team a while & the structure is not too different , just not as solid & dominent allowing opposition to rule the ruck.
The beauty of Gift , Foz , Snake & T Rex returning is not just their quality, but the lift & confidence it gives the entire team especially the defensive attitude where these 4 guys are ruthless.
No doubt not performing on all cylinders atm, attitude is down & missing some gun players.
The real question is can the Seaeagles find form in the next month to mount a serious challenge at full strength & I believe they will - at their best only the Storm can compete.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have had their eyes on the next game Vs the bulldogs for a while. I expect to see the Manly of old come out that night and kick start the season.
An absolute bonus that Foz wasn't chosen for NZ and Brett wasn't chosen for Country Vs City.

DSM5 said:
Ralphie, I think you're being a tad harsh on Toovs. He's inherited an aging front row who just weren't there on Saturday night. Plus a horror injury toll and a scheduling rort. Tired old players showed their weariness. We'll have a fair share of wins and be there at the end. More than I can say for many teams.

At the 15 minute mark of round 1 I commented to the better half that our defensive structure was different. Our line speed is substantially down and we are sliding much more than before. This opens us to being on the back foot when the ball is turned back inside. That is why we are having so many missed tackes. Last year we were primarily an up and in defence, which forced teams through the middle and our dominant forwards hammered them. Players like Rodney, Choc & Gift were waiting there to hammer them. This season we have missed 30+ tackles in every game except 1.

It's the defensive pattern that's the problem.

Lets face it, to make the 8 these days you only need to win half of your games (some years less). We will be there come finals time and at full strength we can certainly win it again.

clontaago said:
Lets face it, to make the 8 these days you only need to win half of your games (some years less). We will be there come finals time and at full strength we can certainly win it again.

100% correct Doug!!

Mick from QLD...uppercut time mate (and I need to remind you occasionally don't I)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6