It should have been extra time?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The NRL just lurches from one disaster to the next, and just when we thought Gallop was useless NOW he looks to be a genius!!

Eagleheart said:
Hmmm not too clear IMO and was just wondering would we have a leg to stand on legally speaking?

I would like to know this aswell. Would be nice if the DT or SMH made a story out of it to bring it to supporters attn.

Someone download a copy of the rules just in case Terrible Toddy decides to sneakily change the rules. :)

Sillybus said:
There is nothing saying the first point scored determines the winner in finals series extra time as it states that in the explanation of normal game extra time. The only time it says the first point/s scored determines the winner is AFTER the extra time has been played and the scores are still level.

And the Cowboys always whinge about their treatment....Pfffft

To me the rules are very clear there. Extra time then golden point if I remember correctly this actually happened a few years back to some team.

Manly absolutely have a right to and absolutely should lodge a complaint with the NRL in my opinion based on that the NRL are either forced to replay the game or compensate Manly in a big way, that is a clear breach of the rules that absolutely cost manly the game

I think people are seeing what they want to see.

There are 3 sentences in the relevant table in the rules.

If scores are equal at the conclusion of normal time, a period of extra time shall follow whereby the first scorer of any point or points will immediately be declared the winner.

This does not purport to treat finals matches any differently to other matches. Therefore both ordinary matches and finals matches are golden point.

This will be for a maximum period of 10 minutes (5 minutes each half) except in Final Series Matches.

This says the maximum in 10 minutes, except in finals series matches. This means the maximum 10 minute period does not apply to finals series matches. That doesn't affect the first sentence.

If the scores are still level at the end of the period of extra time, then the game shall be declared a draw (except in Finals matches, where the match will continue until such time as one team scores a point or points.).

This says the game is a draw if the teams are still level after extra time, except in finals matches where the game continues until the deadlock is broken. That doesn't affect the first sentence.

We were robbed by the refs failing to call Reynolds offside. Not by a misinterpretation of the golden point rules.

(yet again) This confirms my point that rugby league people are stupid. Just add this to the ever expanding list of quality f*ck ups, biased calls, inconsistent match review citings, not to mention no advantage given to a top 2 finishing team...the list is getting very long now...Where else in the world and in what other code would this happen? This is a meant to be a professional sport. The refs and administrators don't even know the rules. Wtf??! Come on Rothfield, Ritchie, Massoud, write an article about this one

Those rules on the NRL site will have been superceded at some point and the site not updated.

Dan Ginaine tweeted copy of page 78 of the 2014 NRL Media Guide which clearly says 5 minutes each way golden point for all premiership matches with finals games to continue after that until points scored. Not sure how to post the attachment on the mobile.

Looks like the NRL just haven't updated the rule book.

I remember the Roosters beat the Tigers with a golden point try in 2010.

You can be sure any legal challenge won't get up on the basis that nobody said anything at the time.

Nothing to see here just typical NRL inconsistency and incompetence.

MadMarcus said:

If scores are equal at the conclusion of normal time, a period of extra time shall follow whereby the first scorer of any point or points will immediately be declared the winner.

This does not purport to treat finals matches any differently to other matches. Therefore both ordinary matches and finals matches are golden point.

This will be for a maximum period of 10 minutes (5 minutes each half) except in Final Series Matches.

This says the maximum in 10 minutes, except in finals series matches. This means the maximum 10 minute period does not apply to finals series matches. That doesn't affect the first sentence.

If the scores are still level at the end of the period of extra time, then the game shall be declared a draw (except in Finals matches, where the match will continue until such time as one team scores a point or points.).

This says the game is a draw if the teams are still level after extra time, except in finals matches where the game continues until the deadlock is broken. That doesn't affect the first sentence.

We were robbed by the refs failing to call Reynolds offside. Not by a misinterpretation of the golden point rules.

Reynolds is a protected species. He's offside every week on the last tackle , either shooting out early , splitting early , or not square at marker.

MadMarcus said:

You are completely omissing the second part of the documents that specifially states the very rules we are questioning. Not once alluding to golden point.

FINALS EXTRA TIME (NRL COMPETITION ONLY) For all finals games, including the Grand Final, in the event of a draw at full time, extra time of 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores are still level at the expiration of extra time, the coin will be tossed with the winner of the toss electing the end of the ground to defend and play will continue until the next score. That score will determine the winner.

This is under a completely different sub heading of DRAWN GAME. Specific to finals series and NEXT SCORE is not mentioned at all until AFTER the mention of extra time expiring.

This is from the ARL rules book 2014. I believe this is a huge blunder. It states what happens in a normal game at full time. 5 minutes each way the first point/s scored wins. Then in big black bold letter in brackets straight after it states EXCEPT FOR FINALS MATCHES. It then states that 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores are still tied after extra time a coin will be tossed and the winner will decide which way they will defend. Then the game will be played until the next score and that will determine the winner. Its pretty straight forward and there is everywhere saying except in finals matches. No where in the finals extra time explanation does it say the first to score will win the game. It only states that after the extra time has ended the first to score will win.

ByHT_PuCAAAguTE.jpg

Down the bottom is the updated ruling apparently.

Apparently not updated on NRL.COM, so two different versions

As I have said before the NRL just lurches from one disaster to another

fLIP said:
Rule book or media guide which one is correct...

Rule book

BUT if someone hasn't adjusted the website then the actual paper copy of the rulebook would be the bible.

It was a good pick up but think we are clutching at straws

fLIP said:
MadMarcus said:

You are completely omissing the second part of the documents that specifially states the very rules we are questioning. Not once alluding to golden point.

FINALS EXTRA TIME (NRL COMPETITION ONLY) For all finals games, including the Grand Final, in the event of a draw at full time, extra time of 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores are still level at the expiration of extra time, the coin will be tossed with the winner of the toss electing the end of the ground to defend and play will continue until the next score. That score will determine the winner.

This is under a completely different sub heading of DRAWN GAME. Specific to finals series and NEXT SCORE is not mentioned at all until AFTER the mention of extra time expiring.

I'm sorry but that still doesn't negate the first sentence in the column in my view. Like you say, it doesn't talk about golden point at all. It certainly doesn't say golden point doesn't apply to finals matches. It talks about the length of the period of extra time in finals and also the fact that play continues after that 10 mins each way period has expired.

I agree that it's badly drafted. That sentence you quoted above probably should have been deleted when they introduced golden point, but the lawyers the NRL engage are probably about as competent as the CEOs they engage.

I'm pretty sure what happened was that Ben Cummins wasn't sure about the rule so Ennis and Reynolds told him what to do. Pretty much like their kick it into the ref play and their 8m offside shut down a drop goal play.

I have a vague recollection of a finals game a few years back going into extra time (not golden point) but can't be sure

Dan said:
To me the rules are very clear there. Extra time then golden point if I remember correctly this actually happened a few years back to some team.

Manly absolutely have a right to and absolutely should lodge a complaint with the NRL in my opinion based on that the NRL are either forced to replay the game or compensate Manly in a big way, that is a clear breach of the rules that absolutely cost manly the game

It was to be discussed from the fallout of the Dragons vs Broncos match in 2011 .

But the NRL Operations Manual for 2012 states on page 20 that there is no Extra Time and all finals (including GFs) will go straight into Golden Point.

So the question remains; did the 2013 or 2014 Operations Manuals change the rules, which are reflected in the 2014 NRL Rules of the Game?

EDIT - Just saw the later entries from the Media Guide. Looks like another amateur effort to grip up the constantly changing rules and edicts the reactionary NRL implements.

So we should be back out to the sfs for another 6 minutes of play this Tuesday night..

Bugger that it was a draw, I want a Tuesday rematch 1978 style! The team's combinations would only improve due to more game time.

Suspend Jackson for the chick wing, and ennis for the lame shoulder charge, we're specials!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8