It’s official it’s over

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He will get paid - he wont be pulling another gig until July 2019 and so his strategy has backfired - no Penrith job and no early payout. Well done Lyall and the Penn's!

I think he will be picked up in the ESL very soon, and that works fine as the remainder of his contract will not need to be paid out. I would say 2 weeks at most for the announcement.

Worst.coach.ever.
I totally agree !!!
Trent has proven that he lacks the tenacity and resilience to make it in the tough world of head coach .
Gus Gould will agree ......
After so many years of failing in his premiership winning club plan .Gus is now under pressure to deliver .
Having seen how Trent operates under pressure, Gould is keeping well away from Trent . That says it all folks .

The most demoralizing head coach press conference response
from a coach and affect on his captain that I have ever seen .
I hope I will never see again .
No solutions ! Absolutely pathetic .
images.jpg

Last edited:
I totally agree !!!
Trent has proven that he lacks the tenacity and resilience to make it in the tough world of head coach .
Gus Gould will agree ......
After so many years of failing in his premiership winning club plan .Gus is now under pressure to deliver .
Having seen how Trent operates under pressure, Gould is keeping well away from Trent . That says it all folks .

The most demoralizing head coach press conference
response from a coach and affect on his captain that I have ever seen .
I hope I will never see again .
No solutions ! Absolutely pathetic .
View attachment 10148

Gould is just keeping up the lie that Penrith were never interested in Barrett going back there. And the Cleary situation gave him the out he needed on that one.

I think it all relates as to whether Trenty gets himself another job.

If someone is silly enough to give him a coaching job ( assistant ?) then he would have to quit his notice period to take up the other position , so the club saves a motza

If he doesn't then the club pays him his full amount so nothing gained.

Yep I'm now waiting for announcement of his new job. I think he miscalculated this whole thing. In his mind, resign get $650 and back to Penerith. Pay day!

Not at Manly bro. Don't you know we love the hate

Hopefully he's off to ESL and never to be mentioned on Silvertails or associated with this club ever again. Dismal failure Penns and thanks for listening to that fukwit Gould in the first place. God I hope beesting head's plan all fall into the sht again at Panfers.

Hopefully he's off to ESL and never to be mentioned on Silvertails or associated with this club ever again. Dismal failure Penns and thanks for listening to that fukwit Gould in the first place. God I hope beesting head's plan all fall into the sht again at Panfers.
Any ESL club would want to benefit from a proven match winning coach . No chance for the incompetent , unproven Barrett there .
The English are looking for man of steel and not men that melt and quit under pressure .
Under pressure Trent goes missing

A
Any ESL club would want to benefit from a proven match winning coach . No chance for the incompetent , unproven Barrett there .
The English are looking for man of steel and not men that melt and quit under pressure .
Under pressure Trent goes missing
Agree Bozo, I can’t believe any ESL club would set the bar that low

As usual I will take a less belligerent perspective regarding Barrett. I don't think he was a bad coach, just very inexperienced and faced with factors that he finally couldn't cope with and looked for ways of reducing his perceived failure with the team, by identifying what were irrelevant issues as the problem such as insufficient furniture etc. But realistically he was left with salary cap problems, partly brought about by back end contracts but also because at the beginning he had the Brett Stewart/Matai situation which entailed two high quality, highly paid players sitting for the season on the sideline. Compounding this we had in 2015 (when Toovey coached) and 2016 and 2018, three of the worst seasons for injuries Manly has suffered. Manly was also facing the drug issue, the betting issue and finally the cap issue which dragged on (unfairly) limiting Manly's access to quality players for two seasons and then penalising Manly this past year and next with the total of a $660,000 reduction on their cap.

Under normal circumstances Barrett may have been able to move forward and develop his strategies, but with a situation where he was having to change the team almost weekly with a seriously reduced stock of players, with what seem substandard support coaching and fitness regimes, and a seeming running out of ideas and poor judgement (eg Hastings, Tom Wright not being selected, Parker seemingly playing injured, a persistence with his safe and slow policy) he came to a point of no answers. This wasn't because he was a bad coach, it was because he was a novice, too much the nice guy to his players (Brown from Newcastle shares this problem), and faced a crisis situation that all but the best coaches in the comp would have struggled with. He'll learn from this experience, but it definitely showed he was not ready for the role of first grade coach.

As usual I will take a less belligerent perspective regarding Barrett. I don't think he was a bad coach, just very inexperienced and faced with factors that he finally couldn't cope with and looked for ways of reducing his perceived failure with the team, by identifying what were irrelevant issues as the problem such as insufficient furniture etc. But realistically he was left with salary cap problems, partly brought about by back end contracts but also because at the beginning he had the Brett Stewart/Matai situation which entailed two high quality, highly paid players sitting for the season on the sideline. Compounding this we had in 2015 (when Toovey coached) and 2016 and 2018, three of the worst seasons for injuries Manly has suffered. Manly was also facing the drug issue, the betting issue and finally the cap issue which dragged on (unfairly) limiting Manly's access to quality players for two seasons and then penalising Manly this past year and next with the total of a $660,000 reduction on their cap.

Under normal circumstances Barrett may have been able to move forward and develop his strategies, but with a situation where he was having to change the team almost weekly with a seriously reduced stock of players, with what seem substandard support coaching and fitness regimes, and a seeming running out of ideas and poor judgement (eg Hastings, Tom Wright not being selected, Parker seemingly playing injured, a persistence with his safe and slow policy) he came to a point of no answers. This wasn't because he was a bad coach, it was because he was a novice, too much the nice guy to his players (Brown from Newcastle shares this problem), and faced a crisis situation that all but the best coaches in the comp would have struggled with. He'll learn from this experience, but it definitely showed he was not ready for the role of first grade coach.
As usual a very articulate post @Bearfax with some good points .
My view is that under adversity men show what they are made of . Some men make most of the opportunity given to them and thrive and others cave in under pressure
We have seen Trents true colours .

As usual a very articulate post @Bearfax with some good points .
My view is that under adversity men show what they are made of . Some men make most of the opportunity given to them and thrive and others cave in under pressure
We have seen Trents true colours .

I agree Bozo. Under adversity some men rise. Certainly the Bennett's, Fultons, Haslers, Bellamys would probably thrive, though even the best coaches often struggle if they don't have the resources available to move forward (Jack Gibson Newtown Jets '73, Souths 78-79, Bennett, Knights 2012-14). But Hasler got through when he started coaching, he dragged Manly from the basement to premiers in 3 years (with a little help from champion players and having the Football Gods smiling on him regarding injuries). Its rare that a novice will succeed with all the cards seemingly against him. Takes time to know what people you want around you, how to pick the right player for a position, what strategies work and if you've got one arm tied behind your back, you're not going to succeed, at least until experience develops.

To me Barrett ended up like a deer staring at approaching high beams. He became shell shocked and inert. He will come back but for now he's damaged goods and needs to get away from first grade coaching (support coach would be fine) until he gets his confidence back. He had to go because I could see no end to his intransigence. He was locked in first gear and didn't seem to know how to use the clutch.

Last edited:
Barret is not a leader. End of story. His team selections snd rotstions were horrific. The worst Manly side in defence that i can remmber. Forwards trained to look like body builders instead of agile rugby league players. I could go on but there is no point.

Its a results driven business and barrett has the worst coaching won loss % in our history. Enough said.

To be honest, I don't think or expect we'll have immediate success guys. I still think there is a serious attitude problem within the playing group that needs to be squashed, and the work ethic / commitment isn't there by some.

Even some of our best players (Trbojevic's) seem too outspoken and opinionated. Calling management "childish". WTF.

That backline is seriously one of the worst I've seen now (and regressed from even last season). Look through the competition, not many teams are going to be fielding that many reserve graders, and players who have expired (lost pace, mobility, intensity and speed).

This is going to be a process. I'm excited for it, don't get me wrong. It's just sad that we've gone from these two types of backlines, to our current predicament:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. David Williams
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford

&

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Jamie Lyon