Isaac John

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My son in law ( rabbid Panthers fan) tells me John has all the skills BUT hasn't managed the jump to NRL level, reckons all we have done is signed a NSW Cup player who at a pinch could fit in 1st grade.

Reason he has signed with us is he wants a 1st grade spot and can't get one at Penrith.

I'm really wondering at the head space our recruitment manager is in?? ( is that Zorba as well).
If our team fails to perform next season we will all have the opportunity to be critical of our recruitment manager including my self because I am also disappointed 2V is no longer our coach . Until then we can all chill out and be happy :)

I've watched John play a lot of football and he has a fine running game, adequate passing game, and will have a red hot go in defence. His biggest weakness (that has held him back from regular first grade) is his last tackle options. The good news is we have DCE who (when fit) is very adept in this area.

This is a much better than the signing of Tim Moltzen...at least John has played FG in the last two seasons and has two working knees.

Seriously our recruitment over the past six months approx, has been utter ****, bar DCE who we ended up paying more for in the long run.

Not happy Jan.....! :mad:

We still need forwards more. But despite the initial shock Welcome Isaac. He could be a good signing. Moltzen could play anywhere in the back line. I also wonder if cherry's injury is a little worse then we are being told. Then perhaps having so much cover for 7,6 and 9 makes a bit more sense. Now for star forwards.

Seriously our recruitment over the past six months approx, has been utter ****, bar DCE who we ended up paying more for in the long run.

Not happy Jan.....! :mad:
How do you know this before they have even stepped foot on the park ? Most people would have thought Austin and Hodgson were nothing signings for the Raiders and both we close to buy of the year, same with Granville in North Qld

Personally I will give a current Origin forward, an ex international second rower, and 2 young promising hookers, 1 of whom has won a grand final, a chance to perform before making any judgements

I've watched John play a lot of football and he has a fine running game, adequate passing game, and will have a red hot go in defence. His biggest weakness (that has held him back from regular first grade) is his last tackle options. The good news is we have DCE who (when fit) is very adept in this area.

This is a much better than the signing of Tim Moltzen...at least John has played FG in the last two seasons and has two working knees.
Ahhhhh, working knees........I had working knees once..........@:cry:

How do you know this before they have even stepped foot on the park ? Most people would have thought Austin and Hodgson were nothing signings for the Raiders and both we close to buy of the year, same with Granville in North Qld

Personally I will give a current Origin forward, an ex international second rower, and 2 young promising hookers, 1 of whom has won a grand final, a chance to perform before making any judgements

Lussick, Myles, Brown etc are not good signings and that is just my honest 'opinion'....! The thing is some of them have already stepped foot on a park and are either past if or not up to first grade. I really hope that at least one of our new recruits proves me wrong big time, I really hope so @Kiwi Eagle but I am doubtful. I just question why would the Riff for just one example be getting rid of some of their players if they were really so wonderful. They are trying to improve their ladder position themselves so surely would they not keep 'potential' and 'star' players.

Anyway, I think we should focus more on our own youngsters coming through and develop them like Tom and Jake etc. And then buy a top first grade star forward or two. Not just fillers or other team rejects, but again I am no expert and that is all just my opinion.

P.S. I am not happy we are not in the finals this year and I really don't want that to happen again if at all possible and I want us to win, so am feeling a bit frustrated as well. It has been a big year and it has been an emotional roller coaster, I just want confidence that someone knows what they are doing both in management and recruitment. But really at this stage, I am yet to see anything that will do that for me............! Again, just my opinion......! :confused:

Last edited:
Lussick, Myles, Brown etc are not good signings and that is just my honest 'opinion'....! The thing is some of them have already stepped foot on a park and are either past if or not up to first grade. I really hope that at least one of our new recruits proves me wrong big time, I really hope so @Kiwi Eagle but I am doubtful. I just question why would the Riff for just one example be getting rid of some of their players if they were really so wonderful. They are trying to improve their ladder position themselves so surely would they not keep 'potential' and 'star' players.

Anyway, I think we should focus more on our own youngsters coming through and develop them like Tom and Jake etc. And then buy a top first grade star forward or two. Not just fillers or other team rejects, but again I am no expert and that is all just my opinion.

P.S. I am not happy we are not in the finals this year and I really don't want that to happen again if at all possible and I want us to win, so am feeling a bit frustrated as well. It has been a big year and it has been an emotional roller coaster, I just want confidence that someone knows what they are doing both in management and recruitment. But really at this stage, I am yet to see anything that will do that for me............! Again, just my opinion......! :confused:

Not good players myles is a current origin rep and is playing solid footy. Brown is playing for NZ and is also a great player. Koroisau is a great hooker just needs to play 1 position for a year he is our future hooker and I expect him to shine with some experience in a spine that doesn't chip and change like penriths and I reckon he will be one of the best buys of the year. Parcell is a great young gun with a lot of potential. Lussick just needs some help with his discipline and will help with the size we need in the pack. I think we have recruited well and bozo is doing an excellent job.

Not good players myles is a current origin rep and is playing solid footy. Brown is playing for NZ and is also a great player. Koroisau is a great hooker just needs to play 1 position for a year he is our future hooker and I expect him to shine with some experience in a spine that doesn't chip and change like penriths and I reckon he will be one of the best buys of the year. Parcell is a great young gun with a lot of potential. Lussick just needs some help with his discipline and will help with the size we need in the pack. I think we have recruited well and bozo is doing an excellent job.

I am happy for you if you may think something different from me and I really hope that the 'new' recruits prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Twatmough was an origin player up until last year and would you want him back? I would definitely not that is for sure. Myles will be 31 next year and in my opinion again he is getting to the end of his career and has done little this year to impress me. He goes alright in Origin because he has a great pack around him. I do not rate Brown or Lussick and as far as Parcell is concerned he may have potential but we also have potential in some of our own young guys. Anyway we will all have to wait and see what pans out next year, but I am just concerned that we have not recruited well enough to get us anywhere near the top 8 for 2016 and that includes Trent the coach.

We are one big prop short of a Top 4 team. Until that is addressed all the other recruiting is a complete waste of time because we could have the best backline in the comp (Oh wait....) and it won't help one bit if the pigs don't at least hold up front.

As I see it Myles is a direct replacement for Mason, no better and Lussick is a direct replacement for Sao, also no better. We may have Starlo for more of the season and who knows what Lawrence might bring, but you cannot in any way describe our pack as better except that Hasson is gone thankfully.

So have we actually officially signed Isaac john? Or is it just going around the rumour mill?

We are one big prop short of a Top 4 team. Until that is addressed all the other recruiting is a complete waste of time because we could have the best backline in the comp (Oh wait....) and it won't help one bit if the pigs don't at least hold up front.

As I see it Myles is a direct replacement for Mason, no better and Lussick is a direct replacement for Sao, also no better. We may have Starlo for more of the season and who knows what Lawrence might bring, but you cannot in any way describe our pack as better except that Hasson is gone thankfully.

Look I completely agree with you that we need a big prop forward to really challenge, a Tamou or Moa or Tapau would get me very excited and that should be our primary recruitment target without a doubt.

But I don't buy that we are useless without a big pack and that's including the signings we've made. I won't mention this year because of injuries and off-field disruptions, but going back to early 2014 when we were going well and the group was still focused, this was the pack that lined up v the biggest pack in the comp at the time in the Dogs.

8. Starling
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Watmough
12. Horo
13. Buhrer

14. Hasson
15. Lui
16. Sene-lefao
17. Symonds

Now that for me is the smallest pack and bench I have ever seen Manly field. Literally none of the bench options were even out and out prop forwards.

We won very convincingly, 32-10.

My point is, size isn't the be all and end all. Attitude is IMO more important. I saw very often over the course of 2013 and 2/3rds 2014 our small pack match roosters, souths and dogs with line-speed, intensity and guts. It can be done again this year if the group retain that focus and the coaching staff and veteran players re-install that attitude in to this team.

I believe our recruitment has been 'okay'. Could have been better, still lacking that big front rower, but the signings we've made I believe will improve our team (things couldn't be worse than this year?) and will take us in a new direction.

To those posters who say recruitment has been poor, you also need to factor in our retention of what will be the heart of our team for years to come in Guthbo and the Turbos. Again, I'm not saying it's been great, just that it's not been as poor as some people make out.

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
Where is this star forward going to come from? There's none left on the market for next season. A lot of you act as if they grow on trees. Pretty sure we tried going after some but didn't have any luck.

I for one am happy if it is true they have signed John, Manly has a habit of turning players like him good and he could solve our 5/8th dilemma.

I think were all underestimating the new rule change from 12to8 interchange nxt year,the days of the big forwards are numberd in that they have to play more minutes,so where can we utilize our strengths in playing forwards that have to play more than 20 minute stints,I think we have a well balanced side nxt year,dce and co will have a field day once they come up a tiring defense ,so if we get that balance right I think will do ok.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2