Is Tom's best position fullback?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I think Tom doesnt wants to be there. My opinion, but he is way off his game day best.

Last edited:
He needs to be tryed in the centres , may not work but may be a masterstroke. How long do we persist with these drop balls ? Its only a question im asking , if things aren't working try something else it can't hurt.

Most top full backs need top wingers. At present he has Mr Pedestrian, Matt Wright, and the good attacking but unreliable at back Uate. Wait until he has someone like Anderson, who plays full back and wing and is a speedster on one wing, and I suspect Tom Wright on the other, who has also played full back. Both these players are solid at the back, pacy, catch high balls with aplomb and know where the try line is. Maybe this is not what Barrett foresees but nothing beats pace and full back like wingers. That combination would be dynamic. And I still think Kelly is a 5/8 playing centre. Imagine a back line

T Turbo
Anderson
Walker
Suli
T, Wright
Kelly
DCE

That is in my mind a very dangerous backline. Maybe have to wait until '19 for it to happen.

Most top full backs need top wingers. At present he has Mr Pedestrian, Matt Wright, and the good attacking but unreliable at back Uate. Wait until he has someone like Anderson, who plays full back and wing and is a speedster on one wing, and I suspect Tom Wright on the other, who has also played full back. Both these players are solid at the back, pacy, catch high balls with aplomb and know where the try line is. Maybe this is not what Barrett foresees but nothing beats pace and full back like wingers. That combination would be dynamic. And I still think Kelly is a 5/8 playing centre. Imagine a back line

T Turbo
Anderson
Walker
Suli
T, Wright
Kelly
DCE

That is in my mind a very dangerous backline. Maybe have to wait until '19 for it to happen.
Im keen for Baz to give Kelly a crack at 5/8

Its such a double edge sword at the moment. Great attacking talent, confidence down at the moment and still bothered by injury, he didn't train earlier in the week. His drop ball that lead to a try, swung some momentum and ultimately played a major part in deciding the outcome. That said, you can't play a player of his talent in reserves even if we weren't in an injury crisis. His defence and organisation is definitely still a work in progress. Problem is it is going a considerable way to costing us games. I think we need to persist in the short term given our situation, if the same issues persist long term then alternatives may need to be found. Although on his salary its hard to know what options there could be as you cant have that much of your salary tied up in a non-spine position.

Obviously the drop balls aren't good, and obviously he's got immense talent. As much as I hate agreeing with Gould, turbo has some maturing to do.

On another tangent, I'd like to see him in the 6 at some point. Maybe not this season

All's I know is he better get his shiit together before next Saturday. The Broncos'will be raining bombs at him all night.

A big Tom T fan
Thing is,- a bloke like Ponga is on half his wage and killing it
I don’t expect a better game from Tom in comparison, simply a bit more want in defence and the 1% plays
No doubt Tom is a Champion who can easily go down as 1 of the best ever at Manly....but if you seen Brett Stewart- it was all about the team and effort from the back....Tom gets that right....he forever becomes a Manly legend

Based solely on today's performance, if Tom is a fullback he's not a very good one. Sorry to say it, but he was sh**house today. He dropped bombs, threw loopy forward passes, took wrong options and generally looked out of sorts. We all know how good he can be, but he's been going backwards - not forwards - for a while now. That said, he is our long-term fullback, and no one's likely to take his spot from him. I don't know if he's mentally or physically shot (or both), but he looks like he could use a rest. Sadly, he won't get it because we just don't have the cover available. But he needs to start playing better, and he needs to do it fast. Forget Origin, forget all that superstar bulls**t. Just string together a couple of good games for Manly and this thread will die a peaceful death.

Champion players are consistently reliable, think Graham Eadie.

At fullback, to be a champion, you need to be consistent in defence and attack. Hence the big dollars.
The Wombat is my favourite Manly player of all time and trust me, throughout his career, I saw him drop bombs and the ball, miss tackles and make mistakes, Wombat was very consistent and Tommy will be a better player for the slump he is in right now, always remember form is temporary and class is permanent!!

Ive settled down now after the game and realise he's still young and learning.
And young and learning is frustrating...

A big Tom T fan
Thing is,- a bloke like Ponga is on half his wage and killing it
I don’t expect a better game from Tom in comparison, simply a bit more want in defence and the 1% plays
No doubt Tom is a Champion who can easily go down as 1 of the best ever at Manly....but if you seen Brett Stewart- it was all about the team and effort from the back....Tom gets that right....he forever becomes a Manly legend
I think there may be something key in this. I believe it is indeed the 1%ers that are missing from Tom's game. Or perhaps more accurately, his desire to work on them. I sometimes wonder whether Tom just does what comes naturally to him and the things he enjoys, but has yet to embrace the idea that there are very small incremental changes he can work hard on, sustained consistently over long periods of time, that are really going to make him the champion he could well be. I obviously don't know for sure and just brainstorming from the outside.

They did last year. He injured his ankle during one jump where he didn't need to jump to catch the ball
Yeah, he needed to actually jump to catch the ball on the full in the first place, instead of watching it bounce... though... based on today, perhaps it was better he didn't try and catch it on the full. :)

I don’t believe Toms body shape is not ideal for full back. He struggles with getting down to balls on the ground and now is lacking confidence is the air because the refs have let people hit him in the air. Today’s penalty to the Roosters when Mitchell hit Tom in the air was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen. He positional play in defence also needs work. Don’t get me wrong he is wonderful talent all I’m saying is if we had another fullback I’d give Tom some time in the centres to take the pressure of him.

I don’t believe Toms body shape is not ideal for full back. He struggles with getting down to balls on the ground and now is lacking confidence is the air because the refs have let people hit him in the air. Today’s penalty to the Roosters when Mitchell hit Tom in the air was one of the worst decisions I’ve seen. He positional play in defence also needs work. Don’t get me wrong he is wonderful talent all I’m saying is if we had another fullback I’d give Tom some time in the centres to take the pressure of him.

Gutherson has a body more suited to a full back

The best fullbacks are not 6’4 like Tom

Gutherson has a body more suited to a full back

The best fullbacks are not 6’4 like Tom
Inglis seems to be pretty decent and if hes knees didnt give way hed still be there. Latrell Mitchell will also be a very good fullback one day.

Now that Dylan is at 5/8. how about Funa or Anderson at fullback, TT and Ned in the centres and Suli on M Wright's wing and MW being bench utility? Funa and Ando are pretty good defensively at FB.

TT is not a real FB defensively but he needs to be where he can get his hands on the ball in attack, as he can be devastating in attack.

Why can't he play FB in attack and centre in defence? Covers his talents and deficiencies.

Just thinking as it's not going to work the way it is now.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10