Is there a pattern developing here?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was just going through some NRL stats as I have been intrigued of late given the hiding we have been copping from the refs to try to determine if indeed there is a real biased against us. I looked at the average penalties we have conceded per game over the last 5 years.

Now to make things a bit more interesting I compared Manly against the donkeys, the darlings of the game... Off the field they get the most free to air coverage, more access to corporate sponsors, and hall passes from the NRL cronies..and ON field they seem to get preferential treatment by the refereeing establishment.
Either our players are inherently a bunch of undisciplined misfits and the donkeys squeaky clean choir boys or there must be something sinister at play.

Surely stats don't lie!

Below shows the ranking of Manly and the Broncos in the respective seasons;

Manly Equal 4th most penalised
Broncos 16th (least)

Manly 1st (most penalised)
Broncos 16th (least)

Manly 2nd
Broncos 14th

Manly 4th
Broncos 13th

2019 currently after 14 rounds

Manly equal 2nd
Broncos equal last

This story coming to a Daily Telegraph near you. (Now the idea and the research has been done).

No offence mate, but that is utter crap. Stats might lie over 1 game, but over 5 seasons with consistent trend data, it is damning.

Haha, yes, I read the first paragraph, rolled my eyes and moved on. I didn't really want to waste my time with the rest of it. Same old, same old...

You’re kidding right. 5 years of data....5 years. Out of curiosity, and to point to the laziness comment, what do you read into that data that mere mortals cannot comprehend, rather than a few lazy throwaway lines.
I think TC is looking at an angle of reason for each and every penalty coming back to the player, I agree often penalties have been warranted, but in the same game the opposition seems to often commit the same crime for a different result....especially games where Manly have kicked out to a lead.....this happens to many teams, though Manly as shown are on top of the Hit list.
Facts are facts and the equation is 2 + 2 here - Manly have been copping the rough end of the pineapple....and over a long period is the most honest assessment.
There have been plenty of games where I challenged my own bias, thinking we were getting cooked by the refs.....I'm with the theory Manly have been copping a fair bit and always kind of think....well there will be a game soon where we get the rub of the green in a game we should have lost...which has happened the ODD occasion...
I'm with 96 and Tooves on this 1 - "There needs to be an investigation into this" :swear:

Self serving duplicitous amateurs run the game. What else can we expect. The game is becoming more and more professional in the way it is played but the administration and general policing of the game, remains little better than park football standard. They've never grown up.

With a high turnover over players in recent years, multiple coaches its difficult to mount a case that Manly are less disciplined. We have a lot of cleanskin type players also. If this was one group of players under one coach like a bellamy who were hell bent on pushing the envelope but This is not

There are really only 2 scenarious.
Manly is a team that intend to resist the rules at all costs because they wear a manly jersey , and this is a condition of employment enshrined in a ancient ritual when they join the club, to disobey the ref at all costs and this is our mission statement
Or
There is a culture among the refs that manly are ill disciplined so it is much easier to find and justify airing the armpits to appease the agenda, either passive or real

Manly cost fox mega mega millions by resisting and forming allegiences in the war We literally cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. We must never forget that, i doubt rupert has

upload_2019-6-21_10-7-52.png

Data processed. We are the second most penalised team over the last 7 years. Tits are most penalised. Drags are a surprise !

No offence mate, but that is utter crap. Stats might lie over 1 game, but over 5 seasons with consistent trend data, it is damning.

Agree with you that 5 seasons against all opposition, home and away etc is a sufficiently large sample size to indicate the validity of the trend as shown by Sparton .... it exists no doubt .. Broncos are far less penalised and Manly more so .. consistently ...

But here I find myself in the unusual position of saying that what old mate Technical raises is also valid ... what we have is a case of clear differentiation between the two teams .... what we don't know for sure is the reason ...

Whilst the smart money may be on favouritism .... it may only be one factor .... and we can speculate what other factors would also contribute ... for example the Matai/Watmough loading ....

Interestingly enough Des a man known as pretty much over everything was able to get the dogs to be more disciplined than the manly youngsters.

I am gobsmacked

Agree with you that 5 seasons against all opposition, home and away etc is a sufficiently large sample size to indicate the validity of the trend as shown by Sparton .... it exists no doubt .. Broncos are far less penalised and Manly more so .. consistently ...

But here I find myself in the unusual position of saying that what old mate Technical raises is also valid ... what we have is a case of clear differentiation between the two teams .... what we don't know for sure is the reason ...

Whilst the smart money may be on favouritism .... it may only be one factor .... and we can speculate what other factors would also contribute ... for example the Matai/Watmough loading ....

Not to mention coaches. You would think coaches that changed clubs would be relevant

A bit of a sidetrack but I've noticed we give away a lot of penalties early, could this maybe be a deliberate strategy because the referees tend to always even them up by the end of a match?

I know the Roosters used to give away penalties deliberately on their own line previously to reset their defensive structures.

With a high turnover over players in recent years, multiple coaches its difficult to mount a case that Manly are less disciplined. We have a lot of cleanskin type players also. If this was one group of players under one coach like a bellamy who were hell bent on pushing the envelope but This is not

There are really only 2 scenarious.
Manly is a team that intend to resist the rules at all costs because they wear a manly jersey , and this is a condition of employment enshrined in a ancient ritual when they join the club, to disobey the ref at all costs and this is our mission statement
Or
There is a culture among the refs that manly are ill disciplined so it is much easier to find and justify airing the armpits to appease the agenda, either passive or real

Manly cost fox mega mega millions by resisting and forming allegiences in the war We literally cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. We must never forget that, i doubt rupert has

I have seen Jake makes a textbook tackle, basically cutting a bloke in half instead of the wrestle BS, where they go to sleep on the player and he is literally penalised after 1 second on the ground....worse still, he has often driven them backwards and completed what is called a "Dominant tackle" - yet is penalised ?
The thing is...players make these dancing tackles to hold a player up, allowing a late legs tackle before being ushered onto their backs as the clock seems to start from the time an attacker hits the ground....therefore the quality legs tackle is almost outlawed as the defender needs to release in a flash allowing a quick play the ball - no reward !!
Strange really, as I was bought up on good shots in the mid section to drive an opponent onto the ground with force, these wrestles are all handsies and grabbing using hands, not shoulders - which old school coaches would frown on....the NRL MUST reward legs and mid section tackles as a priority!!

I have seen Jake makes a textbook tackle, basically cutting a bloke in half instead of the wrestle BS, where they go to sleep on the player and he is literally penalised after 1 second on the ground....worse still, he has often driven them backwards and completed what is called a "Dominant tackle" - yet is penalised ?
The thing is...players make these dancing tackles to hold a player up, allowing a late legs tackle before being ushered onto their backs as the clock seems to start from the time an attacker hits the ground....therefore the quality legs tackle is almost outlawed as the defender needs to release in a flash allowing a quick play the ball - no reward !!
Strange really, as I was bought up on good shots in the mid section to drive an opponent onto the ground with force, these wrestles are all handsies and grabbing using hands, not shoulders - which old school coaches would frown on....the NRL MUST reward legs and mid section tackles as a priority!!

Often it's almost all I hear in a Manly defensive set. The refs constantly yelling: "Jake, get up now, Jake, get square, Jake, don't tackle so hard, Jake Jake Jake jaaaaakeeeeeee..."

It's a wonder Jake doesn't end each game with PTSD

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4